passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset Ɨ
MFGamers

Zelda: The Skyward Sword

spatular

Joy con motion control is rubbish. I got excited to play Resi revelations with them after enjoying the Wii version of 4 years ago. You're just constantly trying to find the centre. Utter shite. If digital foundry are saying that, then you should give this version a very wide birth.

Iā€™m enjoying this as much as I did on wii except now it looks like it did in screenshots and no jaggies. Iā€™m playing with motion controls and havenā€™t tried the pro controller yet. Iā€™ve no issue with motion on Wii or here.

Ā 

Id forgotten how much Fi bangs on at first. Iā€™ve just been mashing skip dialogue.

Ā 

How does playing on gamepad work if the right stick is normally camera but itā€™s sword direction with button controls?

1 hour ago, mmmark said:

How does playing on gamepad work if the right stick is normally camera but itā€™s sword direction with button controls?

Ā 

You have to constantly hold L if you want to move the camera when playing with a pad. It's not ideal.

Yeah, Iā€™ve just returned to Skyloft from there. Iā€™m really liking it too bar some motion control issues. The balancing on tight ropes is really annoying and when trying to aim the cursor it sticks a little bit. Donā€™t know if my joy-con is a bit broken or what but I hope thereā€™s no shooting gallery section in this because Iā€™m going to be in trouble!Ā 
Ā 

Apart from that having a really good time. One of the criticisms I remember from the original release is how slow the opening is, but then and now itā€™s one of my favourite parts. I like Skyloft, I like the gentle set up, I like the playful relationship between Link and Zelda, and I think most of the story is done well. The music is also really nice.Ā 
Ā 

Some of the ā€œThis mysterious thing has been passed down for generations and no one knows what it meansā€ and then when you hear itā€™s paragraphs of very specific descriptions of current events haha. No Sherlock Holmes on Skyloft, huh.Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™m really enjoying it. I got stuck trying to save the kidnapped girl for about an hour which was dumb, so Iā€™m taking a break to eat but will play some more this afternoon.Ā 

Just got into the 3rd dungeon. As much as I enjoyed everything around the 2ndĀ area + 2ndĀ dungeon the 3rd area really slows up again. The problem is that you need to use the Beetle all the time to pick stuff up and drop it. Itā€™s very simple and obvious, but the Beetle is so slow it just gets kind of tedious. You must have to do it 50Ā times in one area. And sometimes itā€™s like doing it 5 times in a row. Itā€™s like Ok, I get it.Ā 
Ā 

HopefullyĀ the dungeon itself has more interesting things going on in it.Ā 
Ā 

I still like the time mechanic, though. It will be nice when getting in to the 2nd half of the game where they use that more.Ā 
Ā 

Definitely just reaffirming what I thought about the game originally and that itā€™s really uneven. Some of it is smart and fun to do, and other times itā€™s too simple and a bit dull.Ā 

Cleared dungeon 3 which was really good. The boss is a bit weak and simple but I really enjoyed the puzzles.Ā 
Ā 

Had my first fight with the Imprisoned as well. Ah, yes. This shit.

Ā 

Then I went back to Skyloft and a NPC was talking how he dropped somethingĀ in the clouds. I know exactly what he is talking about so went straight to it and the game wonā€™t let me pick it up. It is buried in the ground. But I have things that let me dig and such but I guess itā€™s not the right item so will have to come back later.

Ā 

This is one of my clearest memories about the game. Where everything is more or less set up for you to do. Thereā€™s a quest, you know the solution, but the game isnā€™t ready for you to do it yet so you canā€™t until told.

Ā 

Even in 2011 this was really outdated.Ā 
Ā 

Still enjoying the game overall. Certainly uneven but the good parts are still good. Fun dungeons, puzzles and a cool Zelda story. Just the pace of the game and itā€™s extremelyĀ linear design is patience testing sometimes.Ā 
Ā 

Ready for the 2nd half

I played this ALL DAY today. I think my playtime has literally gone from 16 hours to 23 hours or something. Iā€™ve played a lot of this game.

Ā 

The internet needs to quit hatingĀ this game is great. Not every part of it is great, but even when itā€™s not great, itā€™s not terrible. Thereā€™s some filler, thereā€™s some extra legwork, in the beginning itā€™s a bit too simple.

Ā 

I donā€™t think any part of it is awful, though. Even the stealth sections which were parts I remember not liking, theyā€™re not so bad. I think I was confusing Ā relatively high pressure with pain but theyā€™re not pain. Theyā€™re just a bit difficult.Ā 

Ā 

I thought I was having issues with the motion controls as well but it turns out Iā€™m stupid. Thereā€™s a music instrument in the game and to use it you have to move the joy-con back and forth. It wasnā€™t really working, and I thought it was dumb. Then I looked closer at the motion indicator telling me what to do and you have to move the controller in a 9-12 position and back. Itā€™s like oh. I wasnā€™t taking it seriously enough. I thought I just waggle back and forth and it will be fine. Actually itā€™s very specific motion. Thatā€™s kind of cool.

Ā 

Iā€™m finding thatā€™s been a lot of my issues with the motion controls in this game. Itā€™s me, Iā€™m just not doing it right and trying to be lazy.Ā When done correctly it actually works most of the time.

Ā 

It isnā€™t the game canā€™t read the controls, itā€™s the technology that holds it back. Especially with these Joy-Cons. Iā€™m pretty certain the right one is developing drift. Sometimes the buttons spaz out for no reason and the motion gets stuck. Not great, but not the gameā€™s fault. The game knows what it wants. It just canā€™t get it from the controller sometimes.Ā 
Ā 

Maybe the only thing I canā€™t forgive is the swimming. The swimming is motion controlled too and pretty annoying. And why the bug net doesnā€™t have the same motion responsiveness as the sword I dunno.
Ā 

Thereā€™s so much good in this game. The dungeons really are some of the best in the series. The bosses are really cool. Particularly the second desert boss. That shit is awesome. The second half of this game is all go and most of it is interesting and fun gameplay.

Ā 

I think overall the story is good but I find some of it very arbitrary and some it very stupid. Most of my issues with the story tie in to a lot of the extra legwork in the game. ThereĀ is a bit where you have to move twoĀ things so theyĀ point at a thing, then another thing pops out the ground, then you go to the new thing that popped out the ground and pick up an object, then when you pick up the object something happens and points to a new thing, then you have to go over there, etc.

Ā 

It canā€™t even be considered story. Itā€™s just video game clunk. But they try to tie story to it and it comes across so convenient and dumb. All justĀ to get the player to do this and then learn that then do the thing learned over there. By todayā€™s standards gameā€™s would just find such a really smooth way of getting you to where you need to go while learning the thing you need to learn. In fact I think previous Zelda games have done it better than this game has.Ā 
Ā 

When the game is going itā€™s all guns blazing. I lost about 4 hours to it today and didnā€™t even realise. I didnā€™t stop to do anything I was just in the zone and playing the shit out of it. Doing dungeons, discovering secrets, finding heart pieces. completing side quests, getting new weapons and tools. I actually really like the sword combat as well. Itā€™s fun and empowering. Sometimes a bit fickle, but again the more I play the more Iā€™m getting better at it and hitting shit the way I want to instead of just spamming left and right.Ā 
Ā 

The upgrade and crafting system in the game is too easy and uninvolved. I have to say though upgrading gear is satisfying. Itā€™s a bit Ubisoft checklist. All the materials are easy to come by and itā€™s not challenging at all. But it is satisfying getting better shields, increasing ammo capacity, etc. Not industry best or whatever, certainly feels like Nintendoā€™s first go at it. I find it fun though. I can not deny.

Ā 

Man I really like Skyward Sword. Who was that dude saying it should get between 65-75? They need to shut up they donā€™t know what theyā€™re talking about. Some specific sections of the game are probably a 6/10 but for the most part the game is like an 8/10 easy. This game is fucking cool quit hating internet you dun fucked up.Ā Some Super Mario Sunshine shit all over again god damn.

E7nhulVVcAAs_Rn?format=jpg&name=large

šŸ‘ šŸ‘ šŸ‘Ā 

Ā 

Finished the game. 35-ish hours and 100%. Used a guide to find the last side quest because had no clue, then used a guide to find the last 3 heart pieces because Iā€™m lazy.
Ā 

This game is so good. I finally worked out how to do that final boss battle correctly as well. The whole game never plays like that, and the last boss doesnā€™t read intuitively that itā€™s supposed to play like that, but now Iā€™ve worked it out it is satisfying. I wish it was harder and there was more stuff like that in the game because itā€™s really fun.

Ā 

I loved SS back in the day, over the 10 years other peopleā€™s opinionsĀ infected my own and I doubted the game, now Iā€™m back on board this is really good and a lot of fun.Ā 
Ā 

Makes me more excited to see how it will tie in with BotW2 as well.Ā 
Ā 

Also I hope they return and make more classic Zelda games in the future. This shit is just fun.Ā 
Ā 

Love this title card, too

Ā 

E7nhulzVkAMrtsT?format=jpg&name=large

This is almost the definitive off putting experience of Skyward Sword. Being presented with a motion control thing, it not working, immediate frustration,Ā then realising oh itā€™s actually me not doing it right. These tightropes suck when you first get to it but once realised itā€™s like oh.Ā 
Ā 

Itā€™s hard to say if thatā€™s a game problem or a user problem. It does actually really work. It could maybe be better at communicating how some of it works. Although the picture is accurate. I dunno.

Ā 

Except for maybe the swimming I donā€™t think thereā€™s any good way around that.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

For a bit of context, I did play the original Wii release using the MotionPlus WiiMote way back in the day and got up to the first surface area you get to and the first bird statue save point in the area before bailing on it. The graphics on the Wii, the annoying motion waggly motion controls and seemingly endless tutorial put me off a couple of hours in and I never had to motivation to go back to it.Ā 

Ā 

Fast-forward 11 years and I'm now playing the same game on my Switch with no pesky motion controls to ruin the experience and I'm actually surprisingly really enjoying it. The tutorial was nowhere near as long as I remember it being, and I felt more endeared to Link and Zelda this time around. I actually think Skyloft is quite a cool little area too, it reminds me of a little Super Mario Galaxy Hub world in some ways (but obviously Zeldafied if that makes any sense?) and again similarly to Mario it seems I'll be coming back here a lot to pick up side quests, upgrade my equipment and interact with the island in new ways thanks to new found powers in each of the surface areas/dungeons.

Ā 

After playing Dying Light 2 and Elden Ring which are overwhelmingly big open world games, it's so nice to sit down with this and have a focused, streamlined experience. You can still go off and explore but in these little hub areas where you more or less always know where you're going, it makes exploring fun again and less of a roll of the eyes and a 'well, guess I have to go and see what's over here' type of deal. I've only really explored the first area in Faron Woods and the subsequent temple, but the way the environment here double backs on itself and interconnects is really nice.Ā 

Ā 

The dungeon itself feels great to explore too. It's been SO long since I explored a proper Zelda dungeon (I think Twilight Princess in 2006!) that it just feels so nice to go through the motions, find the little puzzles, use whatever item the game gives you to properly get the most out of this dungeon (and will most likely be key to defeating the boss at the end) and explore it to the fullest.Ā 

Ā 

Graphically it's actually really nice now, especially playing on the OLED, the colours really pop and it's a complete contrast to the mess that the OG Wii version I played back in the day was. It seems to be running at 60fps even in handheld as well, as it seems super responsive.

Ā 

My only issue is the controls. They're more intuitive here than having to wrestle with the motion control waggling but even so having to hold L to move the camera around, having to press in the left analog stick to bring up your shield and other fiddly bits and pieces takes a bit of getting used to and I haven't really fully got on top of it yet.Ā 

Ā 

So yeah, I'm about 6 hours in but it's a good start and I can't wait to play more, which is definitely something I didn't expect to be saying!

Ā 

Pics:

Ā 

Spoiler

644D8AF8-47B5-47AF-B677-9363F96DB852.jpeg3F70BE4C-6E61-4DE8-8E70-48F98DEB66E7.jpeg
F8B01F79-F352-497C-8A4F-A9DF2AD38347.jpeg808B6199-8C2D-416C-B133-F7964E3A3F5A.jpeg7BFA049B-7A60-44B7-8236-6DBC90BC4DBB.jpeg

Ā 

88169F21-A062-4B7B-99A2-B9CE89478515.jpeg

Ā 

4DF3D978-6C8E-4B8B-A35B-2C3981979E02.jpeg

Ā 

645A298C-859D-4052-B74D-D19E3DA1F09A.jpeg

• 9 months later...

Seems mad that I never updated this after those initial 6 hours or so. I took a long break from it once XC3 came out and only went back to it once XC3 was finished, which took about 6 months lol.Ā 

Ā 

So yeah, I'm now about 40 hours in, have very much enjoyed it for the most part although it's wearing a bit thin now with all the numerous McGuffins I'm still having to go and pickup here there and everywhere. There's a lot of padding and the game just doesn't really seem to want to end even though I've pretty much picked up all the 'major' stuff in the world so to speak.Ā 

Ā 

You can tell it was dumbed down and simplified for the Wii in lots of places, mainly the combat which is super simplistic nonsense really even for a Zelda game. The dungeons, although decent enough are on the small side and nowhere near as complicated and labyrinthian as something like Ocarina of Time.

Ā 

It's different though, and that's why I like it really. After OoT I just wanted sequels that were just like that but I realise now that games that differ from that mould I enjoy more and are more likely to finish, I never finished Wind Waker but got really far into it and likewise with this, they're just slightly different games to something like OoT whilst still retaining that Zelda identity.Ā 

Ā 

So yeah, I'm onto the third McGuffin right near the end at the moment, which everyone should get. Hopefully there will be a boss once I get the third and then that'll be that, but knowing this game I'll be on another wild goose chase afterwards.Ā 

In the final dungeon now which is a really interesting little twist compared to all the others. Having to use all the tools in my arsenal as expected but didn't think I'd be scratching my head this much with the overarching puzzling nature of the dungeon.

Ā 

Just one more McGuffin to pick up in this dungeon and then I can move on to (presumably) the final boss.