passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Skyrim

Sambob

Played til 3am last night, found a dragon. Hardly done ANY story stuff but it's structured in a way where you can't really tell if it's story or not, I did one thing which I thought was pretty out of the way and then it ended up kind of tying in with the story.

Managed to kill me some giants and some mammoths, the enemy scaling seems to be pretty nicely sorted, nothing has been particularly easy but it's obvious that there are different levels of challenge available to you. The example pre release was fallout, and taking on one of the giants reminded me of one of the super mutants from that game, they just roam around waiting to be found and if you keep plugging away and are smart then you can take one down, I used a combination of sneak and range, taking a few shots then running off where it couldn't get and then using sneak to hide and then wear them down. Then rushing in when the giant is low on health with my two swords.

Levelling up feels better, like a mix of how it was before by doing stuff and it gets better, but also by you choosing skills along those branches you increase, effectively unlocking the ability to choose something on your skill trees. It's never felt like a grind in the way it did before, it's like it was sold to us, you play how you want and you level around that. I'm sort of aiming to be a snooty sneaky character but I also want to be good with two sorts and I think I might start putting more time into crafting stuff, items or weapons I'm not sure yet.

As far as critique goes, there are small flaws to be found, examining a texture very very close up shows that it isn't perfect, I don't particularly like the controls( I'm playing on PC don't you know) but the things wrong with it are so minor that you either won't notice that much or won't care, there's so much that it does right.

More impressions later on, but can't disagree with the review scores.

Edit: for the records it does actually look amazing.

I was going to ask actually, I've only got to the character make point then stopped to finish SotC, but it defaulted to 360 controller. If something's a pc game I play with pc controls, bar racing games and fighters obviously, but Fallout was better with mouse and keyboard (especially for menu stuff). Is it worth me sticking with the 360 controller or go to pc controls, I can see the combat working with a controller?

Edit: Got sick of waiting for an answer so have started with pc controls, they seems to work fine but I've not got any magic yet.

I've opted against making Rio on this one, and instead made Guts from Berserk (and currently have a massive sword equipped despite having 2 other two-handed weapons that are better.

I'm enjoying it so far, I'm assuming I've been lumped with the legion because of the race I picked, unless the option to change comes a bit later.I've just escaped the first town, fucked a bear up pretty bad, might have accidentally killed some allies while swinging my sword around, which hopefully wont become a trend to worry about

What settings have you got it on Sam, I'm on high with everything bar blur and the draw distances set to max? Runs smooth like that, not tried any higher, but it's still not exactly blowing me away graphically (though it's not horrible)

I'm playing on 360, and some of the shadows look a bit blocky, reminds me of Deadly Premonition :blink: but apart from that, yeah it looks pretty good. Agree with the above regarding the levelling up system, it makes more sense than in Oblivion.

The Skill trees remind me of Final Fantasy X's sphere grid, though I'm sure the same system has been used in a hundred other games I've never played.

I've gone Argonian again, because shucks, I love 'em. :wub:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/12/skyrim-reaches-nearly-250000-concurrent-steam-users-on-day-one-topples-mw3/

Skyrim’s kind of a big deal. Seeing as you’ve probably heard it mentioned more than the word “the” in the past 24 hours, I doubt that comes as a Tamriel-sized surprise to you. That said, at this point, even my cold, jaded soul can’t help but say damn.

According to Steam’s tracker, Skyrim’s rocketed to 231,593 players (as of writing) during its first 24 hours. For reference, Modern Warfare 3′s currently in distant second at 78,161. That’s sort of, you know, insane. It’s probably also a record number of people concurrently falling to their knees, gazing up into the falling rain, and cursing a single interface designer’s name.

:blink:

I'm enjoying this, Steam says I've played for 3 hours but I'm fairly sure it's longer. I've done the first side mission which involved getting a claw back, Bethesda are good at making an adventure game include a bit of horror, and the extended part of that mission can get a bit tense. I managed to completely miss what I was supposed to do though and ended up back in town unable to complete the mission without trekking back through the dungeon. Out of interest for anyone who's done it

what's the with the motherfuckin skull at the end of the claw mission?

I was a bit dismissive of this graphically, it wasn't the step up from Fallout they'd suggested it would be, but I've set it on ultra now and it looks a lot better. Still some minor bugs, but apart from dumping me back to my desktop once (which might have been something I did), and one occasion where I had a missing texture, it's commendably un-broken for a Bethesda game.

One other question, I'm sick on it, got bitten by a rat, how do I cure that?

Yeah forgot to mention earlier Ben, put the settings on Ultra and I think it looks pretty good, looking forward to the enevitable texture mods.

You can get potions or make stuff that will cure your disease, harvest plants then eat them and it reveals one of their properties, then you can combine them. Im a wood elf so I basically dont get sickness or illnesses. Dont know what you mean about the spoiler will speak to you offline about it.

Played a bit more and massively got into smithing, best thing to do is to constantly make iron daggers, as they take very few materials and pretty much increase your smithing skill as much as anything else, it levelled me up quite a lot, but i put the perks back into that skill rather than farm them for other skills, I can now potentially make good armour, I just dont have the money or the good materials yet, looking towards making dragon armour but im still a long way away.

Absolutely loving this game, the only problem now is finding the time to play gosh darn.

Ive heard that the guide is quite good, im thinking of picking it up a later date, dont want it to play the game alongside, but definitely want to find out a lot of the secrets to make sure im getting the most out of the game. Theres a few things ive found that im sure must be part of a larger thing but the world is just so massive its hard to follow the thread through amongst so many things.

I haven't been this in awe at the scope of a game since Oblivion. It's just incredible. Sunk nearly 25 hours into it this weekend and feels like i've barely even scratched the surface.

Currently level 19 as a Dark Elf Ranger type character. Being as sneaky as possible mostly, but can back it up with a sword n' board combo or flaming hands of death if needs be.

Done a few of the story missions but the side missions (and even some of the misc objectives) are of such a high quality that it's actually quite difficult to tell them apart. I found one dungeon purely by chance that had it's own story and turned out to be pretty epic by the end.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Saints Row The Third and Skyward Sword are all coming out this week but all I can think about is getting stuck back into Skyrim!

[EDIT]

DM, What did you mean by this?

Out of interest for anyone who's done it

I've done this but didn't notice anything at the end. Is it something cool?

that's pretty cool, there was something in Fallout where you could put items in a bucket then just drag them out the door without it counting as theft

[EDIT]

Dunno, the way it was set up I thought something was going to happen if I touched it, so I nicked it and nothing did :(

that's pretty cool, there was something in Fallout where you could put items in a bucket then just drag them out the door without it counting as theft

[EDIT]

Dunno, the way it was set up I thought something was going to happen if I touched it, so I nicked it and nothing did :(

you're just sick is all.

Just spoke to GAME at Fort Dunlop. They've put aside a copy of the guide and game for me, and are still doing the Batman trade, and will also honour the half price guide offer that was on launch. So, Skyrim and the guide for £15!

Nice one. The two local GAME stores to me had no guides left, so I couldn't get one for half-price. They're pretty hard to get I think, I'm having trouble finding one for a reasonable price.

I started Skyrim last night. I was really in two minds whether to get it or not, as I tend to get extremely overwhelmed with open world games, especially RPGs with various types of leveling. There was a good offer on though, so I thought I'd give it a go just to see what it's like. I felt I had to after seeing all the reviews saying that it's one of the defining games of this generation.

I'm glad I did take the plunge, as I seem to be enjoying it a lot. I've only put 3-4 hours in and am at level 4 I think, so have barely scratched the surface, but I have defeated my first dragon, which was pretty fucking awesome. I think I'm sticking close to the story as I am always following the marker on screen. I did that Golden Claw side mission Ben was on about, but missed the end part of it. Maybe I can go back there at a later date.

I went for the Warrior type dude, I forget what class name that was. Nord, perhaps? I'm mostly rocking a shield in my left hand and a sword/axe in the right, but occasionally I'll swap out for a massive sword. I'm not really into magic and stuff, so thought the warrior would be best suited to me. Do I need to get into the crafting and enchanting stuff to get through Skyrim?

I was very nervous about starting this game as I know how epic it is, and that it's not the type of game I really go for anymore, but I'll definitely be going back. It was hard to turn off my 360 last night, I was proper immersed.

Do I need to get into the crafting and enchanting stuff to get through Skyrim?

You don't have to at all if you don't want to. It helps though, especially the crafting and enchanting. I don't think it'll be worth putting points into the perks until much later on though.

The alchemy you could take or leave really. I just find it a bit useless tbh as the potions are actually quite weighty if you're carrying alot of them. I only use it now to keep a stock of health, magic and stam potions, just in case.

I've been trying desperately to get my hands on the Collector's Edition hardback guide for a reasonable price but i'm not sure what happened with them over here. It seems as though they were never even on sale. Amazon have a couple listed as a "collectible" which of course gives them license to ask for silly money for it (£129 :o)

Same on ebay. There's a few on there from the UK but most are around the £100 mark. May have to look into getting it imported or something, just seems like an awful lot of hassle for a bloody book though <_<

ran in to a couple of problems with this. The biggest one is that I've been dumped back to my desktop a few times now, and a quick trip to google tells me I'm not the only one. Fallout on pc did this until about the 3rd patch, hopefully Bethesda will get this sorted much sooner, but until then it's F5 every time I do anything.

The other problem is map related, as in it's not always clear where a mission in. This might be a bit specific, but I needed to go and collect my reward from a mission, this was from a different place than where I picked up the mission, but my new destination wasnt marked (what makes this a special case is I think it shares a point with a story mission which is marked. At the same time I had to go and speak to an elf for a different mission, that doesnt appear to be showing up at all. I'll check it tomorrow though before condemning it too much though

On the plus side the map if really well populated. I stumbled on a cave that had a decent little story in it. The way it ended again suggested there was more to it (involving a wolf that kept staring at me :mellow: ), in the end it just kind of ended.. I saw some giants, I didn't attack them

I have played this for 60 hours now, reached level 50 last night and I haven't touched any of the guilds really except a handful of Companion quests and I think I have done about 5 or 6 main story missions. Game has a scary amount of content.