passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

illdog

Its pretty tough. Same sort of progress as Demon Souls, so see that thread for the gist of this game.

In case anybody plays this and is really stuck, i'll share what i know so far:

When you enter the room with the massive dragon dude right near the beginning, run like fuck to the left and through a gate. You'll find your way back to this room later but you should have a better weapon by now. I killed him pretty quick with an axe, just needed to dodge around and attack sensibly.

When you get grabbed by the big bird a bit later and end up at the next place, level up at the bonfire and then follow the route behind the well to your left (with the dead dude hanging over the side), round the tree and up some stairs. There's about five dudes here that are fairly easy to kill (i have fire magic) and you get at least 30 souls per kill. Im using this area to level up as ive explored the surrounding area a little and its kicking my ass. Anyways, kill the dudes, run back to the bonfire, use it and it re-spawns the enemies. Rinse and repeat.

If this was the quiet time of the year I'd be all over this. Until I got massively frustrated, at least.

I'm probably going to pick it up when it goes all quiet, but I suspect this is not for me as I play brawlers and action RPG's in a very button-mashy kind of way and that's no doubt no good.

Im finding this fucking tense going, i cant relax at all whist im playing. Unbeknownst to me, my little soul whoring route was actually my way forward. I found some other excellent places along the way to whore souls and ive leveled up alot but its still really easy to die. When other players die they can leave messages on the floor. Very handy when:

You get to a bridge with a huge Taurus Troll or summink, he jumps down from a tower on the opposite end of the bridge. You need to turn around and run toward the tower you came in from (if you climb it as soon as you come through the white mist you can take down the two guards at the top so the dont bother you whilst fighting the huge cunt trying to kill you), climb up it, leap off at his face and hit RB or R1 to do a plunge attack (thank you floor messages). Try to get past him, double back, climb tower, face spank, repeat one more time and he's dead. THEN, when you get through there, youll soon come to another big wide bridge with enemies on it and a huge red dragon in the back ground. Walk toward it, but as soon as the dragon moves fucking peg it backwards the way you came. His fire takes out all the enemies. There was a dude down stairs i talked too first, then i legged it over the bridge, keeping to my right then duck down a staircase, down another untill your at the top of a room looking down below to a bonfire. Make sure you kick the ladder down first, then you can bank all those lovely souls.

Im pretty sure im going to have a heart attack

Pretty tense going so far and i've only been playing a little while. Just on edge all the time expecting the shit to hit the fan. It's fucking great :D

I loved Demon's Souls, if it wasn't for Batman AA, it would have easily been my GOTY. This is a big improvement over some of the things from the first game. Making it open world was a masterstroke, it's excellently constructed with little side paths and shortcuts opening up as you progress. The only downside so far is the absolutely shocking framerate (installing it has made it a little better), but whatever, it's not a gamebreaker for me.

What class and gift did you stump up for Ill? I went for Pyromancer and the master key in the end, mainly because you can collect everything else in game. Not sure how useful it will be, but hey ho. Went for the Pyro as it seemed like a good spellsword type class, having the use of some spells but still adequate in melee.

What class and gift did you stump up for Ill? I went for Pyromancer and the master key in the end, mainly because you can collect everything else in game. Not sure how useful it will be, but hey ho. Went for the Pyro as it seemed like a good spellsword type class, having the use of some spells but still adequate in melee.

Me too, but i picked the shitty HP ring thats as useful as a cock on a starfish.

I just beat two fucking massive gargoyles that must have killed me 20 times before i fucked them in their stupid asses. It was a bit of a trek to get to them each time, im amazed my patience held together.

Progress in this game genuinely frightens me - souls are so precious.

If you never played Demon's Souls it's pretty impenetrable, the tutorial level only gives you the most basic of pointers.

Humanity is a new thing for Dark Souls. It's a currency similar to souls but way more rare. It allows you to turn back into human form whilst at a bonfire which increases the drop rate on items and allows you to summon other player phantoms to help you out. Being human also means you can be invaded by other players, unlike when you're Undead. There's not really a massive disadvantage to staying Hollow/Undead, not like there was in Demon's Souls anyway, which i'm actually a bit disappointed about. You can also use your humanity to Kindle a bonfire, which temporarily gives you more charges on your Flask and increases how many spell casts you have. It also strengthens the bonfire in other players worlds giving them a couple more charges on their flasks as well.

Crossbows are annoying, bows less so but still a chore unless you're doing some sniping. You need to equip both the bow and some arrows before you can use it. Crossbows do not allow you to aim in first person, you just target and shoot same as a normal attack. For Bows, you press LB/L1 to toggle first-person aiming (you don't need to hold it) then hold RB/R1 to draw an arrow and release to let it fly. Bear in mind that arrows are gravity's bitch and will drop and do less damage at a distance. Headshots count and do a bit more damage than a shot to the torso so aim for the gourd wherever possible.

To leave messages you need to buy the Orange Soapstone from the Merchant. Equip it in an item slot and select it by pressing down on the d-pad, then hit X/Square to use it. I actually find this a bit annoying as it was alot easier Demon's Souls, not sure why they couldn't have kept it the same.

Had my first WTF?! moment last night:

Walked out onto some battlements and a Taurus Demon almost pancaked me. Ran away up a ladder behind me and started shooting him with my fireballs. Was doing quite well until he jumped up onto the tower and summarily fucked my shit, probably for trying to be a cheesy bastard :(

We've since made up though after I jumped on his face sword first :D

I also found some messages telling me to shoot the Dragon's tail whilst I was under the bridge. I did so and a couple of minutes later I was furnished with a fucking awesome Drake Sword! According to the official guide, if you attack a big monsters tail enough you may get a special weapon. I'll definitely be trying that on other big monsters.

It's an incredible game, and so much harder than the original, something which I never thought possible. Was up until nearly 3am this morning because I lost track of time :D

It's an incredible game, and so much harder than the original, something which I never thought possible.

Yet despite this, im pretty desperate to go home and play. I want more punishment.

Was up until nearly 3am this morning because I lost track of time :D

I refused to go to bed untill i had rung the church bells, im absolutely knackered this morning

The church bells? Damn, you're a machine! I literally had to force myself to turn it off and I still sat in bed a read some more of the mini-guide :D

Not looking forward to continuing from where I left off though. From what I gleaned of my furtive glances at various routes I can take, each one has what looks like instant death in a suit of armour guarding it :(

One thing I have noticed is the game increases my vocabulary of swears tenfold. I don't think I've ever used the phrase "Shit on a salad" until last night huh.gif

Yep - the one that smashes the ledge you are standing on.

I beat him second time. The first time i was so scared i think i dropped my pad. Plunge Attack baby!

Fuck i want to play this. Im away this weekend but the people we are staying with have an Xbox, i can see me copying my save on a Memory Stick and pretending to have man flu.

Nobody beat the asylum boss first time did they? :blush:

Nah, I shit myself and booked it straight out the door :D

I've since found out though that if you do kill him first time you get a massive cool looking mace. The only sensible way to do is by taking the black firebombs as your gift, which is a bit of a waste of a gift considering you need 46 strength to use the damn thing properly. One for NG+ methinks although there are some nutters who've killed it with nothing but their bare hands. Takes about 45 mins apparently blink.gif

I was nude with only a wooden club though.

Me too - oh in the game you mean - no I am a Wanderer

Just spent a bit of time going nowhere - collecting souls then dieing and dieing again before picking them up :fist:

I also killed a vendor thinking he would re-appear after I had a campfire. He didnt. Oops. I did get a big sword from him tho, which I cant use as it needs two hands and I aint about to put my shield down.

Is this game still a massive dick when you die? As in do you have to go miles back when you get splatted by the bosses? I liked Demon's Souls, didn't think it was amazing or anything but I did like it. However I just could not be bothered with all the repetition, getting through an area was fine but if you wanted to work out the boss strategies for yourself it would mean dying in a couple of minutes and then spending another 20 going through the dungeon over and over until you swear a lot, throw a hissy and trade it in. Might consider picking it up at some point if when you die at a boss you get to go back to the boss and not the start of the level. Demon's Souls was just like having terrible checkpoints though, no time for terrible checkpoints blud.

It's still a dick, dude.

You don't have a hub anymore but you do have bonfires which act as checkpoints and some of these can be quite far away. You do open up shortcuts through the world as you progress though, which makes it a bit easier, but it's still a trek most of the time.

I just beat the Taurus demon on my second attempt - but then I lost all my souls when the

dragon roasts everything on the bridge - I didnt realise he comes at you from behind first

. I hadnt realised the shortcut back to the bonfire had opened so on my way back to my souls I died and lost about 2500. And then I died again when some rats poisoned and killed me. And then on the way back there the skeletons knocked me off the bridge. Bloody game.

I just beat the Taurus demon on my second attempt - but then I lost all my souls when the

dragon roasts everything on the bridge - I didnt realise he comes at you from behind first

. I hadnt realised the shortcut back to the bonfire had opened so on my way back to my souls I died and lost about 2500. And then I died again when some rats poisoned and killed me. And then on the way back there the skeletons knocked me off the bridge. Bloody game.

:lol: