passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shin Megami Tensei / Persona News

HandsomeDead

Everyone, don't worry. Persona 5 is being made.

Persona 5 is a real thing. No series fan is surprised by that, but it's good to hear something solid after this wait.

Atlus producer Katsura Hashino spoke to Famitsu and said that preliminary development for Persona 5 (which he referred to as "the next numbered title") is nearly complete. Andriasang says that from here, the staff will move into the actual development process. Hashino will be the director, Shigenori Soejima is the character designer, and Shouji Meguro is up for music again.

Team Persona used a third-party engine for Catherine, but this next Persona will use a new internal engine. Hashino says that this will allow for smooth game making, but he warns that we should expect a lengthy wait for the game's release.

Balls.

Balls, Indeed. But it's coming so yay!

And if that isn't enough: Only a bloody Persona fighting game by BlazBlue developers! And Persona 4 for the Vita.

Atlus made good on their tease, and they kicked my ass in the process. We've got two amazing Persona announcements here. First up is Persona 4 The Golden, a port of Persona 4 for the PS Vita. This enhanced edition will include a new character named Mary, some form of wireless multi-player support, more voice acting, all new animations, and more. Remember how we first met Catherine's leading man Vincent in Persona 3 Portable? I'm hoping we get something similar to that in Persona 4 The Golden, set for release next Spring.

Also coming next Spring, this time to Japanese arcades, is Persona 4 The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena. This 2D fighter is the result of a unique team up between Atlus and BlazBlue developer Arc Systems Works. The game will feature characters from Persona 3 and 4, and will hit come to Xbox 360 and PS3 in Summer 2012.

I'm really hoping these two games help the Persona series to find a new audience. Not everyone has time for a +100 hour RPG, but as I found with Persona 3 Portable, it's a lot easier to make that kind of commitment on a handheld. It's even easier to make the commitment to a fighting game, which are almost always playable in short bursts.

Honestly, I just can't wait to see the incredibly well designed Persona characters (and their semi-demonic alter egos) in a 2D fighter. It's going to be glorious.

I like it.

cheers DC, without that heads up i could have been looking round for him for ages, had a quick look last night and yeah he's in the club, asks you if you've been having any strange dreams! don't think he was always there but i don't visit the club often, nothing much seems to happen there.

• 1 year later...

Persona 4 Arena reviews:

Eurogamer - 9

Destructoid - 9

IGN - 9

GameInformer - 8.5

Nowgamer - 8.5

Edge - 8

Gamespot - 8

Anyone picked it up? I'm tempted to, I've been itching to play a fighting game this gen and this interests me slightly more than SF4.

Heh, still no word on P5 almost two years on... Hopefully we can assume it will be a multi-format release after Catherine and Arena.

I'm gonna get it eventually. I'll see how money is after Last of Us.

But at the same time, I've been thinking about it, and I'm not sure I want a fighting game where you fight for 30 seconds the look at 10 minutes of dialogue. BlazBlue was a bit like that.

I've got it, will start a thread at some point if no one else does, but I've barely played it due to the story mode being massive amounts of talk with little fighting, there's an arcade mode too with mainly just fighting. I think illdog has it? The fighting seems complicated and I'm useless at it.

I don't really want to reward them for the catastrofuck they've made of getting it over here

If it sells badly you'll be giving them a reason not to make any effort to get stuff over here full stop, no matter how much a mess they make of it.

I don't really want to reward them for the catastrofuck they've made of getting it over here

If it sells badly you'll be giving them a reason not to make any effort to get stuff over here full stop, no matter how much a mess they make of it.

and I should buy Sim City just to make sure they keep making that too. WHY AREN'T I A BETTER CONSUMER :angry:

they know they made a mess of this, if/when it dies on its arse Zen will know exactly why

OK. So supporting someone who admits they fucked up but delivered a game you want to play still is a no no?

How you get by daily without choking on your self righteousness, I don't know. Maybe you're just really good at it? Being like this is only hurting you in the long run from my perspective. Support the games you want, or lose them.

The problem is that Atlus don't have a European arm, and maybe they should get their finger out and get one as they always have trouble getting stuff here; pretty much everything they've done has come here 6 - 12 months after the US: The Persona Games, Catherine, I think even the Trauma Centre games. That's even if they get here at all like Strange Journey didn't.

I think the only difference here is they kinda said we would get it around the same time as the US but we didn't but I still don't understand where the boycott mentality comes from. A whole bunch of crazy gringos are boycotting it and I don't understand. I mean it's not like they are performing some shitty practice, we just had to wait longer.

Maybe if I had cancer and only 6 months left to live and I really wanted to play it I'd be pissed but, touch wood *touches cock*, that's not the case.

OK. So supporting someone who admits they fucked up but delivered a game you want to play still is a no no?

I have no problem with forgiving and forgetting, but this game needed to be out ages ago, there's going to be barely any community around it now. They kept announcing release dates then cancelling them, the game is still launching at full price despite being an 'old' game that's pretty much doa over here, or will be dead a week after release (much like Anarchy Reigns)

How you get by daily without choking on your self righteousness, I don't know. Maybe you're just really good at it? Being like this is only hurting you in the long run from my perspective. Support the games you want, or lose them.

come on Sly, I know we don't like each other but at least don't make the forum awkward.

In Zen's defence they can't be blamed for the region lock on this, without it anyone could have imported had they wanted the game sooner. However, the idea that you have to buy something to support it no matter what bullshit surrounds it is stupid, Zen and Atlus know why people are upset about this, as EA knew with Sim City, giving them a pass 'just in case' isn't going to change anything.

The simple truth is I might still pick it up when it drops cheap enough, but any eagerness I had to play it left when it was delayed (again) at christmas

it sold well, there's no danger of them not making another should they want to. Hopefully Atlus look at the anomaly that is the European sales and sort the publishing out, which seemingly they are doing for the next Shin Megami game after the problems with the recent DS and 3DS versions (again delayed and when they arrived they arrived with added game breaking bugs)

• 1 month later...
Atlus parent company Index Corporation registered Persona5.jp on June 25, the domain’s registration information reveals.

A new Persona title was first confirmed in 2010, with multiple teases following afterward. Most recently we were told the game was “making progress.”

With its domain name secured, perhaps a formal announcement is finally on the horizon?

http://gematsu.com/2013/07/atlus-parent-company-registers-persona5-jp

I assume it's a current gen release, hopefully multi-format. Although I'll likely be buying a PS3 anyway...

• 3 weeks later...