passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

3DS News Thread

Manicm

Looks comfortable, has more buttons, it could pleasure me whenever I wanted but it would still be a ridiculous piece of kit :(

I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of my 3DS and i've only had it for a month. Ocarina just isn't doing it for me, it's not as I remember and i'd be happier with my memories of it I think. The only thing stopping me is Resident Evil and Mario Land 3D, as they both look excellent, but not sure it's worth keeping just for those two.

Question youve got to ask yourself is whether you would end up buying it again in the future, when the inevitable good stuff comes along. I'm taking mine on holiday to see how I get on with it, going to stick pokemon back in and hopefully allow myself to be grabbed by it.

That extra pad looks good but cant see myself ever getting it, unless there are really significant benefits.

• 2 months later...

Some over here are getting SpotPass notifications too, with the same list as the Japanese are getting. Those games being:

• F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
  • Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
  • Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
  • Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
  • Mario Kart: Super Circuit
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Wario Land 4
  • Warioware

Dat list. :wub:

I have the GBA carts of all of those bar Kirby & The Amazing Mirror. It'll be great having them sat on the 3DS though, even without the save state feature.

Edit: Read somewhere that reminded me we were meant to be getting Super Mario Bros. 3 (Advance 4). Maybe one of those above will be swapped out for it here.

• 1 month later...

New Mario side-scroller announced. Out this year probably, before April for sure. :D

Nintendo will release a side-scrolling Super Mario Bros game for 3DS in its next fiscal year.

The news was revealed by company president Satoru Iwata, and means the game will be on shelves between April 1 and March 31, 2013.

During an investor briefing, Iwata said: "We are planning to release a totally new side-scrolling Super Mario in 2D as a key title for the Nintendo 3DS in the next fiscal year."

The announcement came with a pledge from Iwata that Nintendo would improve software support for 3DS, recognising the need to "release new titles seamlessly." He also promised more titles aimed at western markets, with releases spread more evenly throughout the year rather than condensed into the fourth quarter.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/new-mario-side-scroller-announced

http://spong.com/article/26209/Nintendo-Network-Revealed-Gamertags-DLC-But-No-Microtransactions

Nintendo has lifted the lid on its next-generation online service, set up to compete with the likes of PlayStation Network and Xbox Live. It's known as the Nintendo Network, and will provide gamer accounts, DLC and the possibility of full game downloads - but the company is ruling out microtransactions.

The platform was announced to offer a more unified online experience on the 3DS and the upcoming Wii U console. It will replace the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, which handled online modes on a game-by-game basis.

Mario Kart 7 already uses the Nintendo Network term while browsing lobbies, but during an investor briefing company president Satoru Iwata said that the platform will expand to offer downloadable content for 3DS games, as well as offer personal accounts for Wii U in a similar fashion to Xbox 360 Gamertags.

"With this, the ease of using a video game system when the hardware is shared by multiple family members - which has been a challenge we needed to tackle - shall be improved, and we will also be able to construct and offer the system by combining a variety of different services and content," Iwata said.

Although a download service will be part of the Nintendo Network platform, there's no firm decision on when it will become available. "We have not decided the concrete timing of when we will start it," the exec noted, hinting that DLC will arrive after the Network is launched. Relationships with retailers, wholesalers and capacities of SD cards must be taken into consideration, he said.

But microtransactions and 'freemium' games is a road Nintendo is not going to venture down. "As a software maker, Nintendo believes that its packaged software should be sold to our consumers in a form so that the consumers will know in advance that they can enjoy playing the software they purchased just as it is," Iwata said, referencing repeat payments for virtual items and add-on content.

"We believe that our consumers will be able to feel more secure if we offer our add-on content as an additional structure in which those who love the game will be able to enjoy it in a deeper way for a prolonged play time."

So, how the hell will this really work then? I'm imagining you have a e-mail address like on the other services and just sign in and use your dedicated online handle. It's really about time Nintendo did this really. it's been a long time coming.

• 4 weeks later...

Etrian Odyssey IV coming to 3DS:

The Etrian Odyssey series has gained a reputation through three Nintendo DS releases of being an unapologetically old-school, extremely difficult first-person dungeon crawler. Many gamers can't stand it, but for fans of the series -- like myself -- that's the draw. We haven't seen a new entry since 2010's Etrian Odyssey III (pictured), but that changes this summer.

SiliconEra reports that Japanese magazine Famitsu has revealed Etrian Odyssey IV: Legend of the Giant God, the first title in the series to appear on 3DS. Presumably the game will put the handheld's 3D capabilities to use, but it will also attempt to make the endless labyrinths more approachable with the inclusion of a casual difficulty setting.

Etrian Odyssey IV will release in Japan on July 5. Atlus has yet to announce whether it will make it to the U.S., but they're usually pretty dependable about bringing over first-party releases, so don't be surprised if it shows up eventually.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/02/21/atlus-39-hardcore-dungeon-crawler-etrian-odyssey-debuting-on-3ds-becoming-easier.aspx

Also Fire Emblem 3DS and Mario Tennis Open confirmed for 2012:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-22-fire-emblem-3ds-confirmed-for-uk-2012-launch

• 3 weeks later...

Illdog said there was a better thread for me posting my Letterbox crud, and this is the only one I could find.

First of all, thanks for the photo Sly - keep the pics of Texas coming!

Secondly, a challenge! I've sent you all a photo of famous Miis. Can you name them?!?

Thirdly, another challenge! Who can carve the best AR pumpkin?

I've sent you an example. To get started, go to the doodle pad section of your AR game, choose orange, and colour the whole screen in. Then select the ball from the shapes. All you need to do is select eraser, and carve away the bits of pumpkin you don't want! How cool is that?!? ...or am I just easily pleased? Anyway, take a pic, add it to some nice stationery and send it our way.

Fourthly and finally, SEND SOME MORE BLOODY STUFF! I cannot be the only purveyor of all your Letterbox spam. I want to see your creative efforts!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wasn't sure this was worth it's own thread

The fourth numbered title in the official Shin Megami Tensei series of role-playing games will come to 3DS.

This information comes courtesy of Japanese magazine Famitsu (via Andriasang). Very little is known about it at this time, but Atlus will open an official site for the game tomorrow at megaten4.jp.

The Shin Megami Tensei (commonly abbreviated "MegaTen") series has been around since 1987, when Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei was released on the MSX and Famicom in Japan. Since then the franchise has spawned several spin-off series such as Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor and Persona.

Despite all these spin-offs, the last numbered game in the main series was 2005's Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, which released as Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne in Japan in 2003. The western release contained a crossover by Devil May Cry protagonist and demon hunter Dante.

people are already complaining that it'll reuse old assets, but rather that than the game not come out at all. There's also the question of whether Europe will get the game, Strange Journey didn't make it over (but the DS was region free)

and on that note, I found my copy of Strange Journey yesterday

• 1 month later...