passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Xenoblade Chronicles

Jimboxy

Is this actually worth playing? Because the trailers make it look absolutely shit.

I never played it on Wii or 3DS so was tempted to get it, but the trailers put me right off.

Asking people who have played the original.

3 minutes ago, bellow said:

The trailers don't mis-represent the game in any way, so it probably isn't for you.

Ah ok, that's a shame. I might watch a couple reviews anyway and give it a look when it's on sale ?

I mean I was trying to strike up a conversion with you guys about it, seeing as you're fans I thought it would be nice to see first hand from people I like and respect why they like it and why they're excited for the remaster, but I guess that isn't what forums are for these days.

Don't worry about it, I'll check YouTube. Wont be posting in this thread again. Thanks.

Dude, you said u were going to check out some reviews. In all innocence I assumed u meant upcoming reviews for the DE. I merely suggested that reviews for the game were already up, since it's essentially the same game.

Anyway, someone on another forum I visit keeps comparing the combat in this to stuff like FFXII. Is it anyway like that? Doesn't appear like it from trailers.

I tried the original on Wii a long time ago but really didn't like it at all. But I definitely didn't put in 10 hours.

My memory of it is that it’s good. It has a beautiful title screen, I can instantly remember the piano notes after only thinking about it for one second. It’s certainly a hardcore jrpg if that’s what you’re after. It has massive, beautiful looking environments to explore. I don’t remember much about the main story, but I remember it has this very intricate affinity system where you can try to improve your relationship with everyone in town, I remember having issues with the Colony 6 sidequests. The sequel improved on it in every way but there’s still a lot more good than bad.

Edit: I think that FFXII was a big influence on Xenoblade Chronicles, but the combat systems aren’t that similar. There’s nothing resembling the gambit system in this game or its sequel as far as I can remember. 

19 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Anyway, someone on another forum I visit keeps comparing the combat in this to stuff like FFXII. Is it anyway like that? Doesn't appear like it from trailers.

I tried the original on Wii a long time ago but really didn't like it at all. But I definitely didn't put in 10 hours.

Well, you auto attack, and I think there's something akin to gambits for your squad, and then u can also link special moves, I think (that be XC2)

I'd say battles start very similar to how they start in 12, but they play out differently, as you're constantly watching this specials bar at the bottom to see what nastiness is available for you unleash on your foe.

Edit. Maybe @radiofloyd is right about the gambits. It's hard to remember. Maybe the only thing similar is the auto attack.

I never felt it played like FFXII to be honest. The standard attack is an automated loop, sure, but that's about as far as the similarities go. For better or worse the Xenoblade battle systems are rather unique. There are lots of different inspirations from different game in there – auto-attack, skills with cooldowns à la MMO, and there's also a bit FXIII in there as in you can put the enemies into a special state that makes them take more damage. Unlike FFXIII though there's more than just one state so it's basically a little combo you have to pull off with different skills from different characters to get there. As soon as you get access to some of the Monado powers it's a completely different thing again.

Personally I've always felt it was a bit too clunky and enemies took too long to die (X2 has the same problem) but it's not a bad system on paper. Maybe I'll have more fun this time around now that I know what I'm getting into.

A superb rundown of the basic narrative scenario, the main characters, gameplay and the almost endless gameworld.

As an olive branch to @Rikzilla, perhaps he could specify what he feels is a bit shit about all of this and the conversation can commence...