passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Warning of Telephone Scam

Cyberpunk

I reckon everyone on this site is pretty tech savvy, but this is just a heads up on a new form of cyber-phishing. This actually happened to me, but I was wise to the scam from the start.

I just had a strange phone call. This woman, with a very heavy Indian accent, informed me that my computer had been hacked by cyberhackers in the last 24 hours, and she could fix it with special software. She asked me to turn on my pc and press CTRL + Windows Symbol + R at the same time and then asked what could I see. I told her that I knew for a fact, that that was not a valid Windows shortcut.

She then asked me to open explorer and delete the address contents; then type in www.logmein123com. I asked why she was directing me to this site and she said it was so that she could check my pc for virus's etc. I asked what her name was and after a delay she told me. I told her I was not going to allow her to have access to my pc and she asked what the problem was. I told her that I had not initiated the call and that I would like her phone number.

It is another form of Internet fraud that combines a variety of other common scams-social engineering, fake security software, and phishing.

Cybercriminals have started calling people on the telephone, claiming to be from Microsoft, or another reputable computer software company, such as Symantec, and offering to help solve their computer problems. Once cybercriminals have gained a victim's trust, they can do one or more of the following:

• Trick people into installing malicious software on their computer.
  • Take control of a victim's computer remotely and adjust settings in order to leave the computer vulnerable.
  • Request credit card information so that cybercriminals can bill for the phony services.

Microsoft will not make unsolicited phone calls to help you with your computer. If you receive a phone call like this, hang up. Be aware, nobody will ever phone you to inform you of a computer threat. Computer companies, including Microsoft, make more money by letting you phone them. If you are called, and the person informs you that you have been hacked IT IS A SCAM!!

Yeah, this has been going on for a while now. There's been a few people I know of in Devon that have been targetted recently, so maybe they're going through all the area codes one by one.

Here's a piece the Guardian posted last July: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

Cheers for that Ed. The first I'd heard of it was when they cold-called me. Still, it screamed Scam even before the Microsoft lie.

I've had loads of these calls - the first one I asked how they could possibly know my computer had a virus and they hung up, then I started telling them that I didnt have a PC, so they said that it must be my laptop then, so I told them I didnt have one of them either and they hung up. I now tell them that I think computers are the devils handiwork and people who use them will go to hell. They hang up.

• 2 weeks later...

I just kept him going for a bit, then stated that I didn't actually have a PC or laptop. He carried on, 'well next time you switch on your computer follow these steps'. I left him talking for a bit while I did other things, and he eventually hung up.

I just kept him going for a bit, then stated that I didn't actually have a PC or laptop. He carried on, 'well next time you switch on your computer follow these steps'. I left him talking for a bit while I did other things, and he eventually hung up.

:lol:

• 3 months later...

:lol:

Such fun.

Charles said that they have had reports on the Microsoft servers that my PC is harbouring viruses. I told him I'd only had this "Computings" since Christmas day and that I doubted that I had any viruses, but would check and see.

I have run a quick scan in "Norton" and "Found 210 viruses". I am now sarcastically kissing this guys arse telling him what a wonderful man he is and how Microsoft do an excellent job in providing a service to the people that use windows 7.

He's now getting me to follow steps to get this corrected, but again I am posting here, I'm pissing about on the internet and doing anything but what he asks, and then getting frustrated when his steps don't work. :ph34r: