passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

iPod-ready car stereos

Tomahawk Rob

After using a decent enough FM-transmitter for my in-car iPod needs over the last few years, it finally gave up the ghost last month, and the spare one I nicked from the missus' car is really effin terrible in terms of both audio-quality & user-friendliness. As the majority of my iPod use takes place in the car, I've decided to bite the bullet and switch the original factory-installed headunit to something more iPod friendly (aka 'iPod ready') which should provide a sound quality that is even more superior to my original FM-transmitter!

Does anyone have any experience of this type of thing? How user friendly are they in terms of the iPod control features? Any recommendations for makes & models?

Cheers! :)

Ive got a sony one when my in-car stereo failed, when it uses bluetooth i have to use the iphone/ipod to change music etc. When its USB linked the head unit does all the work, i can select albums or playlists, or just shuffle the lot. Its a great piece of kit and can recommend the use of these head units especially on long journeys as this also charges the phone on the go!

Also this connects up as a hands free kit, so i can talk and drive at the same time.

I only spent about £150 on mine from Halfords, they offered to fit, but ended up refitting it myself as i needed an adaptor from citroen for the new head unit, also needed another piece of tech for the volume/turner buttons on the steering wheel to work with the new head unit.

My model is the MEX-BT3700u

Its about 14 months old now so there should be a replacement model.

That looks like a good buy! I'm using a really old Pioneer headunit at the moment, had it for years. It's good, but no iPod compatibility. I think I'll look into something like this when I have some free cash. Can it control your iPod from the headunit, or do you still need to select tracks from the iPod itself?

Can it control your iPod from the headunit, or do you still need to select tracks from the iPod itself?

I think the one that I'm getting has 'Passenger mode' which means you can do it either way... will report back once it's up & running!

It's something I'd like to look into too. However, the head unit would probably be worth more than my car at the mo. Lol. I use an FM Transmitter as detailed above, and it works just fine. My only probs are changing music on the go (I don't, or pull up somewhere), and in the hot weather, I have to take the batteries out as the car gets really hot inside. I wouldn't want the batteries to blow.

Looks the same as mine, so yep u can change it on the head unit, use the search button to flip between albums, playlists and artists then the skip buttons to go up and down, mine has an album + and - button as well. Has to be plugged into the USB to get this function. The passenger function on mine is a remote control which tbh ive hid so my OH doesn't change what im listening to.