passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Eternal Sonata

dante76

So off the retro thread for a bit, distracted by this in the game sale, along with lots of other stupidly long JRPG's. Like I have the time to play these...

Anyway, so apparently I'm in the dream world of Chopin surrounded by hippies and powder sellers, who are being repressed by the 'man' and his cheap powders. Probably influenced by Hair.

It looks beautiful. Its really good to see some colour in games. Bright blue skys, green fields and trees, clean white clothes. The actually game mechanic is quite good, and a novel change from the line and get hit route of FFX, Dragon Quest etc. Not to difficult, and the use of button pressing to block, along with timed movement keeps you constantly involved.

On the down side, the pacing is really slow, the cutscene's are Metal Gear Solid length and the enemies currently arn't very diverse.

I'm currently on Chapter 2, and it appears that this isn't an acheivement whore game.

I think a few other people on this forum have given it a go, so I'll keep you posted.

I enjoyed Eternal Sonata - the light/shade aspect of the battle system made things a bit different despite it being a bit boring in the long run. I would like to do a second run through but I know I will never have time :(

Its not an achievement game - I finished it getting 17 out of 22 and only got 340GS and that included a few secret ones. Most of them come on the second run through.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in some side quest dungeon now trying to get souls shards to bring a party member back. Its still a nice game, but the combat is starting to feel a bit samey and it needs a few mini games to break up the flow.....

• 2 weeks later...

And thats done. Not actually a difficult game. I think I only saw the Game Over screen once. And the ending is pointless touch feely modernist crap. Still it looked nice, just needed some diversity in its gameplay.

• 7 years later...

8 year bump. 2007 games ya'll, where it's at.

This is beautiful. Seriously, for a 12 year old game it looks great, the colour pallete is super vibrant.

I'm nearing the end of Chapter 1, switching between two parties and fighting lots of shit. So you run around a world and can see the enemies you can fight, they charge at you if you get too close and that gives them battle initiative so they may strike first in the turn based battle system. What you wanna do is attack them from the back and get the advantage. The battle stage area has shaded areas and light areas and you can do different special attacks depending on which area you are stood in. Cool idea.

Otherwise it's generic JRPG shit but i'm fine with that.