passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Wii U

Hendo

I'm sure there was an old thread on this.

Nintendo will unveil a new home console at this year's E3 event, according to reports.

Multiple sources close to Game Informer have confirmed that the system will be capable of running games at HD resolutions and that Nintendo is already showing the tech to third party publishers.

"Nintendo is doing this one right," said one anonymous insider. "[it's] not a gimmick like the Wii."

IGN has since chimed in with its own intel, claiming that the console will be "significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3" and that Nintendo intends to "recapture the hardcore market". It also added that the machine will be backwards compatible.

A "pre-announcement" will apparently be issued later this month, with the full reveal scheduled for Nintendo's E3 press conference in early June.

There's no word on what it will be called though Game Informer's report stated, "It is our understanding that Nintendo is trying to embrace the Western gamer and will likely launch a new brand with this console."

Its sources suggested that a late 2012 launch is planned.

Nintendo has issued its standard "Nintendo does not comment on rumor or speculation" statement though told Game Informer to "stay tuned".

Also:

Nintendo's next home console will use Blu-ray, a new report has claimed.

Sources close to Blu-ray.com suggest Nintendo will integrate Sony's tech into its new console.

Would the universe collapse in on itself if Sony hardware was implanted into its rival's new machine? Would Nintendo fans stand for the sight of the next Mario disc being gobbled up by a darkly glinting Sony slot?

The inclusion of a Blu-ray drive may not necessarily mean Nintendo's next console will play Blu-ray movies. The Wii uses standard DVD discs for games but the ability to play DVD movies is locked - despite homebrew developers discovering the ability is there.

Other reports suggest changes to the system's controller too. IGN has word it will include a touch-capable screen. Will it work instead of buttons? As well as buttons? Or will you plug your 3DS in somehow? The mind boggles.

Sounds reasonable to me. John Davison (1up/What They Play/Gamespot/Metacritic) did a story on this a year or two pegging 2011 as the year we would first hear about their next machine.

I think Eurogamer ran with the same story as the top one and I wasn't too sure how serious to take it but with the extended console life-cycle were having with this one then maybe it shouldn't be surprising to see Nintendo with a new console, especially since MS and Sony have ventured into motion controls.

So when they say they are going for the western hardcore gamer? So does this mean they intend to do online gaming correctly? I'm not holding my breath but I'm curious to see what they do. Can they balance their new demographic with the old one, who knows?

I'd probably still buy it regardless... cos of Mario and that.

Im really not sure i want another nintendo console to live under the tele. Yep handhelds they rock, some great games, but the wii 1 has been a big disappointment for me. Im sure ive expressed this before but the Cube was the best console i had in the previous gaming generation it got Fifa and all the multi-format games and was better graphically and the pad was awesome compared to the Ps2 and (some might disagree) to the xbox in some games, so i just had the 2 consoles. But now i have a PS3 and a 360, do i really need another HD console??

I would need to see some strong 3rd party support, some great titles to show what the console can do and to prove that the hardware is up to the spec of the other consoles, also this daft friends code system would have to go. As it stands i won't be in the queue at midnight this time round. On the flip side i am interested in Mario in HD and Mario Kart etc..but i won't be buying just for reruns of nintendo classics that ive brought on all my other nintendo consoles through the years already.

I kind of agree with Manic, only more positive. I'm not a fan of Nintendo's own titles generally, certainly the thought of another mario kart and zelda aren't going to get me to buy a new console. I also don't need another HD console, my 360 is already being ignored.

That said a HD nintendo console would, you'd think, be good for Sony with the Move. If they can then adapt games to work on Kinnect too then motion control gaming could really step up. The controller worries me though, if the rumoured HD touch screen is true then regardless of whether the machine uses 1 or 2 controllers it's going to be expensive

That said, assuming I get a job before it comes out I'll buy it just because it's a new console innit

Maybe the Revolution name will make a back, if i remember it was a circular design, it looked awesome!!

Wii 2 just isn't right, knowing nintendo it will probably be something completely different, or they might go for the straight forward Nintendo HD

I'd love Super Wii. They say they are going with a new brand, Nintendo usually do with a new console but I don't know what name is more synonymous with people generally; is it Wii or Nintendo? It wouldn't surprise me if they did stick with Wii, they stuck with Gameboy for a few iterations.

And if it's backwards compatible does that mean it will still work with Wiimotes and have some kind of controller that has everything the GC needs, as well as VC stuff if they choose to carry on with that? I just have visions of this console having a fuckton of control methods, as well as whatever this touch screen malarkey, which will be expensive.

The Wii was bad enough for that.

I'm actually quite excited, roll on E3.

Have some more speculation.

From "Wii" to "Stream," eh? One-track mind, Nintendo, one-track mind.

Other new rumors from the IGN party van include:

* Could retail between $350 and $400.

* Being manufactured in Taiwan.

* Could ship as early as this October.

* Will be based on a version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not on Fusion.

* Will definitely output in HD (phew!).

Mmmmm! Delicious speculation!

I would imagine HD is a given at this point. And it could be on a par with a PS3 and still be fairly cheap to make at this point, I would assume.

I'd be greatly surprised if nothing of these rumours were true and we didn't at least hear something from Nintendo this year - the Wii's release schedule looks pretty dry at the moment.

I can't see it being released this year, even in Japan. Nintendo have nothing coming up for the Wii so surely there will be something shown at E3 (maybe bringing some of those RPGs they're publishing would be nice as a last hurrah).

Unless they choose to expand the Wii's life with the vitality sensor. :mellow:

• 4 weeks later...

TBH i can't see the point of on the wall projection, surely clarity and picture quality is better through a HD Tv or a fixed unit rather than a shoddy painted wall lol!

I imagine it'll have both projector and HD output (HDMI one would assume) so you can plumb it into your telly or when you're having a party have it on the wall. Cool idea if its true. Would be expensive though I imagine.