passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

High-res Screenshot Thread

DANGERMAN

I think it is im not sure, I was just wondering. Im thinking of selling my GTX 570 and picking up a 770, if I can get 100 quid for the 570 then hopefully I can get away with only spending 100 more to get the 770, but its a bit of a faff.

Not that often, but im thinking if I upgrade the graphics card then it might mean I would feel better about potentially waiting on the PS4 for a bit. Not sure I can easily afford it, and then im not sure how happy im going to be paying the asking price for its current launch line up/launch window line up. Not that they arent good games, but I can get them so much cheaper on PC, the ones I was planning to get on launch anyway, and they will look and play just as good if not better.

EDIT:

All im probably thinking about getting right now is Battlefield 4 anyway, the other stuff I can even wait on.

Not that often, but im thinking if I upgrade the graphics card then it might mean I would feel better about potentially waiting on the PS4 for a bit. Not sure I can easily afford it, and then im not sure how happy im going to be paying the asking price for its current launch line up/launch window line up. Not that they arent good games, but I can get them so much cheaper on PC, the ones I was planning to get on launch anyway, and they will look and play just as good if not better.

EDIT:

All im probably thinking about getting right now is Battlefield 4 anyway, the other stuff I can even wait on.

Looks like I'm switching sides. The card I wanted, the R9 270 with 4gb isn't come out until some point next year now, so I'm getting a GTX 760.

still using my old card but here's some screens from Batman Arkham Origins

batmanorigins2013-12-5cuvi.png

One thing the game does well is have adaptive snow. I'm not sure how accurate a representation it is but it does track Batman's footsteps well. The pictures below show a before and after, there's other areas of the city that would have done a better job of showing the affect, up on rooftops generally the snow seems thicker, but I was here and fraps was on.

batmanorigins2013-12-ntudn.png

batmanorigins2013-12-t2ule.png

that's going to become really common on the new consoles, it's tessellation and SSAO, both are DX11 features that the new consoles can do.

and I didn't notice when I uploaded them, but in the 3rd picture, because that's mid-combo the character models look really weird, slightly stretched and the guy on the far left has no face detail at all

• 3 weeks later...

installed my new 760 card. I'm not disappointed, and it's credit to my old card that it doesn't look a huge leap. It does mean I can run Crysis 3 at 1080p and get a better framerate on my tv than on my monitor. I'm going to try running some stuff downsampled tomorrow, it looks really easy to do

crysis32013-12-2621-59but7.png

crysis32013-12-2621-5h8ujc.png

crysis32013-12-2622-0ngum9.png

http://abload.de/image.php?img=crysis32013-12-2622-0wyuf2.png'>crysis32013-12-2622-0wyuf2.png

I've messed about with down-sampling today, I've been running stuff at 2520x1575 which is 1.5x my monitors resolution (1680x1050)

The way it works is that the video card runs the image (be it the desktop or a game) at the higher resolution, but fits it to your display (the smaller resolution). It's a way of increasing the detail of a game, assuming the textures go that high, and acting as very effective anti-aliasing, as you have more than one pixel per pixel displayed. The problem is that the more pixels being displayed the more work your card has to do.

Nicely on that note both Skyrim and Rage ran really, really well and my card stayed virtually silent. I've had to shrink the images down in photoshop, so they might not look as good as they did, but those megatextures are :toss:

rage64-013pumi.jpg

rage64-02lkcdn.jpg

rage64-03r6uor.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I ran through Dear Esther again. I've had the title screen as my wallpaper for years, so long in fact that I only (re)noticed it had "press start" on the screen when a mate pointed it out over christmas. I ran it at 2880 x 1620, to be honest aside from the improved AA I'm not really seeing a huge amount of point in downsampling for most games. If games had 2k textures in them then I'd get runnign the larger ones and shrinking them down, but when it's 1080p textures (or less for quite a lot of incidental stuff like books) then you don't really get a giant leap in image quality

Or I just don't really know what I'm talking about which is a distinct possibility

dearesther00pzlbq.jpg

dearesther01ydbck.jpg

dearesther02x4x2x.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would play a game that looked like that

took some screens from the Titanfall beta. Everything is pretty much as high as it can go (I think I turned the AA setting down from the top one because there's no point at my resolution), except the 'insane' textures as they require 3GB of vram and I only have 2, I may well give them a try later

titanfall2014-02-1417ddjc5.png

titanfall2014-02-1417p2klo.png

and one for the southerners (nice sandbags)

titanfall2014-02-14168sk1w.png

I don't think it looks all that great tbh. It's hardly a bad looking game, especially in motion, but hopefully next-gen pushes things on pc a bit firther than this (though not so far I need another card this year)

• 2 weeks later...