passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 3

Hendo

A new website has emerged that suggests Activision will reveal a new Modern Warfare game next week.

According to That Videogame Blog, press have been sent dog tags with a link to the website findmakarov.com. The bloody tags include the message "end the war" along with the details of Sheperd, one of the villains from Modern Warfare 2.

On the website is a countdown timer. There is just under five days left – putting a reveal slap bang in the middle of the Game Developers Conference.

Will we enjoy a Modern Warfare 3 reveal next week?

Last month reports suggested Infinity Ward's first game since the headline grabbing sackings of early 2010 would be a prequel to the first Modern Warfare.

Sources claimed the game would be set immediately before the events of Infinity Ward's 2007 shooter, and delve into the backstory of the Ghost character and explain how he was recruited into Task Force 141.

Could Sledgehammer Games be involved in development? Singularity developer Raven is also rumoured to be working on Activision's FPS juggernaut.

http://findmakarov.com/

I'm not sure what to think about a new Infinity Ward game, but it does sound like there were many other studios working of BLOPS so most likely won't be just IW.

Infinity Ward are owned by Activision so IW themselves actually own nothing about the games. I believe they have some kind of handshake deal where only they will make Modern Warfare games but that's probably gone out of the window now.

Who did it?

The Source of the Call of Duty Hoax is RevealedThe source of the stir created by a Modern Warfare-themed countdown site - believed to be announcing another sequel, or a competitor's - has been traced to a Canadian troupe set to debut a Modern Warfare film next week.

Geoff Keighley of GTTV reports that "We Can Pretend," a Toronto-based artist's collective, is behind both the Web site FindMakarov.com and the mailing of novelty dogtags referencing the site to some in the press. The registry of the FindMakarov site was concealed but based in Toronto.

Update: Keighley has a still from the movie. It's at the link below.

The site's countdown clock expires on Wednesday, which is the middle of the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. Many assumed that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 would be announced there. When an Activision representative released a statement calling the entire thing an outright hoax, suspicion then fell on Electronic Arts, which will debut its Modern Warfare competitor, Battlefield 3, at the show.

Whether deliberate or just good timing, We Can Pretend scored a viral PR victory for its film. "Production sources who worked on the self-funded project call it visually spectacular." Keighley writes.

• 2 months later...

Activision earnings call later on, so expect new announcements, especially a new Call of Duty game.

Some rumour's going round saying that Tesco already has the release date for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I quite liked that, although I enjoyed most of the BLOPS preview stuff as well. The British police car was a nice touch, although I can sense some media outcry if they set it in a real place with real street names.

EDIT REASON: I'm a fucking stupid and did a mangled sentence.

Yeah, I've watched the trailer a few more times now, and it's very well put together. I'm actually pretty hyped.

I've heard that Battlefield 3 may be launched on the same day as MW3, but I can't honestly see that happening. I want both, but if they do both come out at the same time, I'm not sure which one I'd plump for. I reckon Battlefield 3 will end up coming out a few weeks before MW3.

Saying that, come the end of October onwards I am going to have a lot on my plate what with baby number two due October 29th.

TBH Ed, there is loads out this autumn. Gears 3. Uncharted 3. Skyrim. BF3. MW3. Resistance 3. Batman. Child of Eden. Ghost Recon. That Metal Gear game I think. Assassins Creed 3. They say Guild Wars 2 will be out this year also. This doesn't include any sleeper hits that might jump out of nowhere, or any stuff Nintendo is keeping under wraps for the 3DS.

Even if you didn't have your hands full with a kid you would struggle to keep up.

TBH Ed, there is loads out this autumn. Gears 3. Uncharted 3. Skyrim. BF3. MW3. Resistance 3. Batman. Child of Eden. Ghost Recon. That Metal Gear game I think. Assassins Creed 3. They say Guild Wars 2 will be out this year also. This doesn't include any sleeper hits that might jump out of nowhere, or any stuff Nintendo is keeping under wraps for the 3DS.

Even if you didn't have your hands full with a kid you would struggle to keep up.

You're not wrong. Of those you mentioned though, there's only a few I'm interested in. Gears, Uncharted, BF3, MW3, Batman. Maybe Ghost Recon and Child of Eden. OK, there's quite a few. I would include Assassin's Creed, but I still haven't finished II yet and have Brotherhood on the shelf next to it. Still a hell of a lot to keep me busy. What a dilemma to be in.

Here's a higher quality version of the trailer.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/coiTJbr9m04" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I actually can't wait for this now. They've got me, and they haven't shown a single piece of multiplayer yet.