passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DEAD SPACE 2

TopGunKnacker

I cant believe none of you guys are playing this!!! in fact, out of the people in my friends list, only one guy is playing it :'(. this series really doesnt deserve to have another instalment undersell!

whinging aside http://www.mfgamers.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif, its awesome. It looks fantastic, and the sound is mind boggling, all the ambient noises and rolling orchestral flourishes are even better this time roun, and freaking scary. the whole thing is freaking scary!! been playing it with the lights out and headphones on, notifications turned off, and i actually feel wired and shaken after a couple hour session.

so the technical stuff is just an improvement on the first games amazing effort, which is no mean feat in itself. but theyve really improved the gameplay and the story is shaping up to be better too. the new weapons are great, and using kinesis to pick up makeshift projectiles on the fly is a great addition. the more linear direction which sent shivers down my spine when i first heard about it actually does the game a service, makes you reaise how they couldve designed the first game in a similar way and it wouldve been better. no backtracking, just new enviroment after new enviroment as the game tries to show you all the different areas of the sprawl - its gruesome to see how different aspects of civilian life there have been buttraped by the necromorphs. they even hit the kiddy wing.

--------------> its fecking awesome!!!!!

I have it and am up to about chapter 4, but i cant play for long as i get myself so scared and panicky about what is going to happen i have to turn it off. I proper love it tho :)

The sound is the worst, there was one bit where i could hear babies crying and a woman screaming and i braced myself for the worst and then nothing happened. Bastards.

The story has dragged me in as well, looking forward to finding out whats going on.

I've not tried multi yet and i dont think i will. Dead space needs to be single player i think.

Played the demo last night and loved it. It's from chapter five or something, isn't it? Anyway, I picked up DS2 today. I've not played the first, which I probably should do really, but I got it for a good price in Gamestation and think I'll jump right into this and maybe get the original at a later date if I want more.

I may get Dead Space: Ignition as the bonus items you get for having an Ignition save is apparently worth the 400 MSP they charge?

I will most definitely be picking this up soon too. Juat want my sub to arrive first as Dead Space2 was part of the reason I bought all these speakers!

Really looking forward to it, seems like people are enjoying it.

theres one peng statue bro. also that dead space one unlock isnt just any old plasma cutter, its the cutter from the first game! :D i used it all the time for the oldskool vibe

the content unlocked by playing ignition is all found throughout the sprawl in rooms that are permanently locked for those that havent. its a pretty cool idea really, the doors are all doors visited and unlocked by the characters in ignition so they get unlocked in ds2. shame ignition is fucking dross!

going to start my hard core playthrough tomorrow, wish me luck! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Installing disc 2 as I type. Is it really worth the money for Ignition for the extras you get?

I have a finished save for the first game, do I get owt for that?

For the save from the first game I got the plasma cutter and the suit from the first game, I'm not sure about Ignition unlockables but Im sure someone said on here that you can get them in the game anyway.

No, it opens Conduit rooms that you can only gain access to if you have an Ignition save. You do get a cool suit, along with some extra ammo, health, and schematics along the way. Oh, and a couple audio logs. Probably not worth the 400. But then, I bought the Supernova add-on DLC, so who am I to talk.

On Chapter 3 I think, enjoying it loads. :)

The sound design really is amazing and I don't even have 2.1 let alone 5.1 - just the two plain speakers out of the TV.

I'm playing on Normal but I reckon I'll go through it a couple of times, maybe even do all the modes once through, but still not sure about that last one with only 3 saves.

Enjoying the many ways Isaac can die. :)

Played through to chapter 5 this morning, it's good and scary, although I dont know if I can heap the same amount of praise on it as others have. Sometimes the tense atmosphere spills over to frustration in points. For example it's tense going through a level with little health because health is sparse, but on the flip side dieing very often because of poor manoeuvrability isn't cool.

There seems to be more to the choice of weapon than just picking a favourite too, but I don't think I've quite got the hang of that yet.

On the second disc now so I would guess about halfway in.

I like how they're making more use of the other weapons this time - in that for some enemies, the Plasma Cutter isn't a good idea. Any tips on weapons? I have the bomb gun, plasma cutter, spear thing and machine gun. On the first game the flamethrower was particularly rubbish so I haven't bought that yet.

Spreading my nodes out a bit to upgrade a little of everything, I figure I'll do New Game+ for each mode and come the last one everything should be fully levelled up.

Really hoping I can get this finished today but I am dying a lot! I very nearly went for Survivalist as I am pretty down with how Dead Space works but I've died enough now that I think I made the right decision. Also I'm pretty much out of ammo, been spending all my cash on new suits and nodes to upgrade stuff with.

I'm hoping to battle through this, then go through Casual and then I should have enough cash and upgraded weapons to make it through the other two modes.

I still haven't bothered with any other weapons - didn't care for the Ripper or the flamethrower in the first game so I've ignored those. My Plasma Cutter is fully maxed out though.

Anyone given the multi a seeing to? Is it actually any good?

I mainly used the plasma cutter too with the odd grenade launcher use when i had to fight the 'clever girl' xenos.

I've not bothered with the multi, dead space doesnt need it in my opinion. Apparently its a rip off of Left 4 Deads vs mode.

then I should have enough cash and upgraded weapons to make it through the other two modes.

zealot and hardcore? you start from scratch on hardcore dude, nothing carries over.

i played the multiplayer, got to level 10 or 11. it is just l4d like stoobie said, but its still got it own unique dead space feel to it too. its not bad, worth a punt, but if youre not playing with friends or people who communicate, its pretty boring.

I played through the last five chapters last night. What a brilliant game from start to finish. I love the linearity of it, always pushing you forward and introducing you to new areas. Looks and sounds stunning, too. Not tried the multiplayer, I may give it a go just to see what it's like. I'm looking forward to the Severed DLC now.

zealot and hardcore? you start from scratch on hardcore dude, nothing carries over.

There's 5 modes I think - Casual, Normal, Survivalist, Zealot and Hardcore. I'm on the tail end of Normal now, then I'll go through Casual with NewGame+ to mop up some achievements I missed and buy the remaining weapons and upgrade them and then maybe if everything's maxed out go for Zealot, failing that do a run on Survivalist first.

I think Hardcore might just drive me insane. If everything carried over then I'd give it a bash but I'm dying enough as it is!