passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gordon Ramsay: Shark Bait

Tomahawk Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS775jXFlgA&list=SL&has_verified=1

YouTube & 4 on Demand links

Switching between the channels tonight, the missus and I came across wrinkly twat/chef, Gordon Ramsay, doing a documentary on sharks... I'm not really a fan of his, but sharks have always sort of facinated me and so we stuck with it...

As it turns out it was more specifically about shark fin soup & the practice of 'finning' and we were about a quarter of the way in... I ended up watching the entire thing (including the 15 miunutes I'd missed on 4oD)

Jesus F Christ, it was an eye opener!!

Normally, I don't pay that much attention to conservation issues - I mean, yeah, some of it can be pretty disturbing stuff, but generally there is a large amount of work being done to help with the high-profile issues like the gorillas/tigers/etc, and as a result, it feels like progress is always being made (to me at least). However, this shark-finning industry is staggeringly huge due to the popularity of the soup, and the fact that it's pretty much unregulated too is fucking appalling!

I don't see this thread becoming a fucking 'Eco-Warrior corner' or whatever, as I don't think that's really any of us (is it? - it's not me anyway...), but I guess I just felt so rattled by the program that I wanted to bring a bit more attention to both it and the actual issue itself, and to see if anyone else watched it and was as shocked as I was...

Yeah, I know what you mean... Before watching that, I probably would of also given it a go as I love seafood... But according to Ramsay, the actual fin doesn't have much flavour at all - that's all in the broth it's marinated in... It seems it's more of a 'status symbol' kind of food rather than because it tastes good...

I've has Shark Fin Soup before. It does seem to be like a status thing coz its facking pricey.

Its good for your skin though, unless thats Bird Nest Soup. Hmm....

most fish is good for your skin, and your joints and a whole bunch of other stuff. its those omega 3s and 6s innit bruv! just get a fish n chips or a tin of mackerel instead :P

Watched this last night, i hate to say it was awesome tele, but it was just in a different way to die hard! It was factual and a documentary i would watch again.

The fact that the locals refused access to allow him to see the fish caught and slaughtered, fins chopped off at sea or in the dock, the bags of fins that didn't match the bodies of the sharks being dragged in. Gripping TV is all i can say i think some underestimate the power of tele, but all the guys at work were talking about this. Even made a joke at the fish counter of sticking the fish under the ice and fins above might get some sales, i guess you had to be there :rolleyes:

With Hugh and his tuna war against my employers, and the shark fin, im looking forward to more of this sort of programming.

Watched Shark Bait yesterday, pretty interesting stuff.

A shame that greed is so prevalent that they can't see that holding back would mean the industry lasts much longer and more generations will have jobs rather than just everyone makes tons of money over a short period and then they're gone.

I'm surprised the restaurants stopped selling fins - all it takes is one of their competitors to sell shark fin soup and everyone will start selling it again to stop them cleaning up.

I had images of something much more exciting in my head from the thread title. The shark finning industry is fucking disgusting, though.

If the west doesn't destroy the planet through consuming all the fossil fuels and choking the atmosphere, then south east asia will by eating it. Assuming the machines don't rise up and overthrow us first.