passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Computer Questions Thread

DANGERMAN

thinking about ordering this, also might not bother as it's mainly to play deus ex, so I could save a lot of money playing it on the 360. my PC is getting on a bit though. Also thinking of going for an AMD x4 to save about £100. I know about the sandybridge problem but that motherboard has 3 sata 6gb ports and i think 3 will be fine for me.

Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked, Socket 1155, Sandy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.3 GHz, 6MB Cache, 95W, OEM ~£163

Asus P8P67 LE, Intel P67 Express, S 1155, PCI-E 2.0, DDR3 2200(OC), SATA 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX ~£110

1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ, OEM ~£40

4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 Classic DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.5V ~£36

Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced Dominator, Black, Mid Tower Case w/o PSU ~£60

500W Coolermaster Silent Pro M, Modular, 80 PLUS, 85% Eff', SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, 135mm Fan ~£53

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, 4 Heat Pipes, with 120mm Quiet Fan LGA775/1155/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3 ~£17

1GB KFA2 GTX 560 Ti EX OC, 40nm, 4000MHz GDDR5, GPU 835MHz, Shader 1670MHz, 384 Cores, DVI/ miniHDMI ~£185

Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP 12x BD-ROM & DVDRW Combo Player Retail box ~£46

total £730, only valid today i guess as quite a few of thoes bits are in todays offers.

:fist: DANGERMAN :fist:

well i finally went ahead with it, some slightly different prices, better psu, different cd drive, but pretty much the same as above, £700 :facepalm: funny what pushed me over the edge was stuff like graphics/wordprocessing software loads pretty slow on my old pc now. still if it lasts 3/4 years like the old one then it's all good.

• 3 months later...

I've been having problems streaming divx video, it keeps crashing my broswers (opera, chrome, IE). I've tried reinstalling various web video players with no joy, and in the process have picked up an apparently nasty trojen.

If i reinstall windows is there anyway to get it to keep my music and games, or is it a matter of buying another hdd to store them on before i wipe it (or see if my old one lasts long enough for me to put stuff on it)

you could make a new partition on your existing hard drive (turning one physical drive into two as far as the PC is concerned), copy the music to that, then do the reinstall/format on the original partition. i'm not sure how trojans and stuff works though so i guess there's a possibility the trojan could infect the new partition or something? if you made the partition from a boot disk then copy the stuff over using a bootable unix disk or something, without loading the old os that would probably be safe.

edit - i used a free partition thing recently that seemed to work pretty well - just had a look and pretty sure it was this one:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

ive had the same problem ben, it was so badly infected that i couldnt even copy files off it. windows was that infiltrated and fucked.

i lent a hdd off a mate, installed windows on that, put my original hdd in the pc as well and just read it like you would an external.

obviously i installed some antivirus and stuff on the new hdd before i hooked up the infected hdd, which actually immediately tried to attack the new installation of windows (without even opening the infected drive in explorer or anything). it was thwarted though, then i proceeded to virus scan the shit out of the dodgy drive to clean it up, i never opened it until i was confident it was clean.

then its copying time!!

I think I've got it sorted. Basically something had installed that replaced google as my search engine. I followed some instructions and stopped it running (tried searching for the root but couldn't find it), then restored to an earlier point. It still seemed to be there so I ran a ccleaner and then a full virus scan overnight. Restarted my computer this morning and all seems well, better than well in fact as my web video player is back working

I think I'll still to a reinstall at some point, but not until I can afford either a new harddrive or an external drive

• 2 years later...

Cancelled my order with Play and instead gone for a AMD Radeon HD 5870. Apparently it's a slightly better card, and it does sound a bit of a beast. It also come with a download copy of Aliens vs Predator which I might download just to gawp at, but I'm not massively arsed about playing it

I just had a look on ebay to see what my 5870 would fetch if I were to sell it and buy another card, at best about £85. Kind of scary although it seems to be going for more on Amazon, but I think that's because they don't make them any more

It's lasted me pretty well though, I've had it 3 years and it doesn't struggle all that often, so for £200 or there abouts I can't complain. It looks like the same money now will get me a 7950 if I want to stay with ati, but I think I'll have a look nearer the time and see if the 670 or 760 (similar price) are better cards

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Had an absolute nightmare with my computer the last few days. Trying to fix it while drunk probably didn't help.

The virus I mentioned in the other thread was frustratingly difficult to get rid of. I ran multiple anti-viruses, they'd clear some stuff but not solve the problem. Chrome kept having extensions added to it, and when I found the source it was undeletable.

Eventually a roll back solved the problem, like it usually does tbf.

The problem is that it's had the knock on effect of making everything in my user folder, music mainly, invisible. It's still there taking up space on my hdd, it's just other than loading up an old version of the hdd I can't see it.

I'm currently trying to move each of the old folders over manually onto my new ssd, because if I do it as a group it doesn't pick them up

Very frustrating, and I'm out of sata cables so I now don't have a dvd drive hooked up. Something that will have to wait until I stick a new cpu in

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason my wired 360 controller has stopped working with my gaming laptop, when I plug it in the green light flashes then goes off. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the controller or the usb ports. On the one hand It is an unofficial usb controller that I bought on ebay, but it still works fine on my other laptop which I use for everything besides gaming. On the other hand, I have had usb problems with this laptop. Some things, it picks up without fail (mouse, keyboard, wireless router), other things it has problems with (iphone, ipod). So maybe it is a problem with a certain type of usb device.

I really hate gaming with the keyboard so I want to fix it. I've bought a wiresless receiver on amazon which apparently will allow me to use my actual wireless 360 controller with the laptop. Of course, the receiver is a usb device so who knows...fingers crossed!

For some reason my wired 360 controller has stopped working with my gaming laptop, when I plug it in the green light flashes then goes off. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the controller or the usb ports. On the one hand It is an unofficial usb controller that I bought on ebay, but it still works fine on my other laptop which I use for everything besides gaming. On the other hand, I have had usb problems with this laptop. Some things, it picks up without fail (mouse, keyboard, wireless router), other things it has problems with (iphone, ipod). So maybe it is a problem with a certain type of usb device.

I really hate gaming with the keyboard so I want to fix it. I've bought a wiresless receiver on amazon which apparently will allow me to use my actual wireless 360 controller with the laptop. Of course, the receiver is a usb device so who knows...fingers crossed!

Could you try plugging a keyboard or mouse into the usb slot to diagnose it?

From my experience of cheap controllers, they normally fail where the cable joins the usb plug, or where the cable joins the controller. Nothing 20 minutes with some wire snips and some solder can't fix.

Those MS wireless USB adapters are good though, my brother in law has one and we've used it a few times at Christmas to get everybody playing things.

yeah, it could even be something as simple as the drivers removing themselves

it could also be a power issue, but I'd imagine a 360 pad requires less than most things, so if it is a faulty usb very little (try your phone in it) will work