passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Computer Questions Thread

DANGERMAN

I've currently got a PCI graphics card, I'm assuming PCI-E is different to the point where I'd need another motherboard to run it.

i.e. I was planning on getting a new card, should I just wait until i've the money for a whole new rig?

EDIT:

Right ignore the above I've had it answered for me.

Let's say I've got £150-175 to spend on a new card, what should I get?

Cancelled my order with Play and instead gone for a AMD Radeon HD 5870. Apparently it's a slightly better card, and it does sound a bit of a beast. It also come with a download copy of Aliens vs Predator which I might download just to gawp at, but I'm not massively arsed about playing it

that's a good question, it's worth having a look at what dell have, although it often seems like the good deals are for PC's without decent graphics cards...sorry that's not much help but if you find anything let us know, i'm sort of interested in a new pc too, i think influenced by Ben's upgrade talk :rolleyes: maybe get a cheap one from ebuyer if they still have any from the other week and upgrade the ram/psu/graphics, although that's a hastle.

also, DANGERMAN, regarding the new graphics card - an important question - how many fans does it have?

just the one, and it's a housed case, but it does have 3 copper heat sink rings. So it doesn't look anything like as awesome :(

According to the reviews I read it runs insanely hot in game, but is one of the lowest when just on windows (and that was with the pre-release drivers). But yeah, in all seriousness I might have to buy a better cooling system when I've got a bit more money

any ideas of the best place to pick up a pre-made desktop for no more than £400, preferably with a decent processor and a half decent graphics card. I would build it myself but it feels to much like my day job.

For < £400 you're going to get integrated graphics, and probably an underpowered PSU.

e.g. http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=889988

That's pretty good apart from the graphics and the 300W PSU.

got my graphics card, it's fucking huge, probably twice the size of my last one, and needs 2 seperate power supplies!

It is awesome though, I'm running Batman at max (1680 admittedly), Metro 2033 at max, going to try Crysis in a bit/tomorrow.

The downside really is that I dont have a high enough output. With a bigger/better monitor or tv I'd get more out of it, it's hard to push it with the resolution ive got. Still, should be enough for a couple of years

Edit: I'm running Crysis on high with 4x AA :toss:

^ good work on the gfx card installation DANGERMAN!

regarding the new PC thing, when i got my old one about 3/4 years ago it was generally cheaper to buy rather than build one, i'm not really up to speed on that sort of thing these days so thought i'd have a look at approximate component prices, came up with this from looking on ebuyer:

hdd - 1.5tb - £50

ram - 6gb - £60

case - £40

psu - £60

gfx - £100

cpu - amd x6 - £150

motherboard £50

total £510

maybe missing a cpu heatsink from that and might be better off spending a bit more on the motherboard and/or graphics? also anyone know what processor is a good one to go for price/performance wise? (i just took a guess the amd x6 seemed ok)

it's highly unlikely i'll do it, just was interested really :)

edit - there's some new intel cpu's just out that are supposed to be good, new versions of the i3/5/7's.

any ideas of the best place to pick up a pre-made desktop for no more than £400, preferably with a decent processor and a half decent graphics card. I would build it myself but it feels to much like my day job.

some of these barebones look a bit tasty, though a little overbudget

clicky