passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Deadly Premonition

HandsomeDead

This must be the hardest game to give impressions to. It's a sort of open world, crime investigation, almost survival horror that was made on the same budget as my woodwork project at school. It's kind of good.

This game is ugly, I'll get that out of the way, but the game knows it and often plays that to its strength, the puppet-like animation makes the comedy moments genuinely funny. The weird, uncanny smile Agent York (the lead character) gives when he's trying to be sincere is proper lol worthy, especially when it's combined with that whistling tune which I'm sure will end up being very iconic in videogame music.

But it's not all laughing at the technical incompetence of the game, because somehow, it does manage to be successfully creepy, and the mystery itself isn't massively tacky, the characters perhaps, but plot itself is compelling.

For some reason there are zombies (I'm sure there is a reason) and that's all I've been shooting so far, it plays a lot like Resident Evil 4 but not as good. And the open world driving stuff? That's the only thing I have a problem with, it's slow, handles both sluggishly and erratically at the same time and you have this 16bit drone as an engine noise. Only the banter York has with Zach makes the trips worthwhile. What's Yorks favourite Tremors film? Play it and find out.

1317800-dpsmilesig.png

I've been keeping an eye on it for ages now but I'm still wondering if the people that love it are just being ironic, like all the love for EDF.

The love for EDF wasn't ironic, it was a genuine appreciation of the simplicity of it, you're meant to save Tokyo yet at the end of each mission it was levelled by your own doing and numerous giant ants sailing across the sky after a well placed rocket is a funny sight. Playing it in short bursts is a joy. I finished it twice, one more time than a lot of games.

But I don't think this is the same. It has some striking ideas and a story that would rival Silent Hill, but the execution it goes for is incredibly bizarre, and for the most part it hits the sweet spot. I doubt it's a game for everyone but it isn't out of irony the appreciation comes. It's genuine appreciation for the what it's trying (or is achieving) to do.

i got this on friday, put 5 hours or so in but i was at a mates playing it so ill have to start it again on my account (no biggy).

i differ slightly from DC in that thre is some irony in my enjoyment. theres definite non-ironic enjoyment and intrigue to be had here, as well as flat-out crap bits like the aforementioned driving and the map, but there are also plenty of bits that are so bad its good, which is where the irony comes in. nowt wrong with that though!

• 1 month later...

First impressions - it looks fucking awful! There's some textures in the opening cinematic (with the kids and Grandpa) that are down-right painful to look at. Proper actual fuzzy flickering bushes and trees.

Also the control is bad on the character, camera and movement seems really off.

On a purely mechanical level, this is one of the worst games I've ever played. And I haven't even got into any battles yet. :mellow:

I'd have to go back to RE4 to check but I'm pretty sure the camera in this swings about much wilder than that.

I've done the prologue and I've just got to the chess puzzle in the hospital so I've done a bit of combat and driving. I keep getting the wrong buttons during the combat and the driving is just plain awful. Does it actually make any difference if you use the indicators and keep to whatever the speed limit is?

It is strangely compelling, or maybe just strange.

just started this, got to the hospital so assume i'm slightly behind where Hendo is. i think the movement/aiming was a bit better in RE4...although i haven't played it in ages either, and i'm not having too many problems in this yet. i did get a bit annoyed when i spent ages shooting zombies then died at a qte, seems like they are infinite? so i just ran past them in the end. the graphics and driving are really bad, but unless you have to do any races (?) i don't see the handling being a big problem. i'm not a big fan of scary things and i did find fighting the zombies a bit scary/creepy, and there are some funny/cool/interesting touches to the game. definitely want to play some more anyway.

There is only a lot of driving if you want there to be. You can pass the time by smoking, that's what the ciggies are for in your inventory. It never tells you that but I'm telling you now.

To me, I'm not that interested in the action/zombie stuff, I'm happy I have a sub-machinegun with infinite ammo to blast through that shit. I like the driving around, asking questions and staking out suspects and stuff. I've never done that kind of shit before and I love it, more open world detective games please.

do george's second sidequest, you get a walkie talkie that you can use to warp around the map, albeit only to locations youve visited before. saves a lot of driving though. this game really is all about the story and characters though. ignore the mental gameplay and just lap up the weird

Got a bit further now, up to the Lumber Mill. Haven't done much exploring though I can see me going mad collecting those cards.

From listening to the end of year Giant Bomb podcasts I've had an aspect of York's character spoiled on me but is Zach ever explained? I would've thought that was York talking direct to the player (we are Zach) but I'm intrigued how this all wraps up, and the story itself which is going pretty odd, especially with the old man in the wheelchair. I love how no-one seems to mention that he's wearing a mask.

Cool, I got the horrible feeling that it was gonna be weird and surreal all the way through and then never explain anything.

Considering how much is wrong with this game (and there really is a lot) it's got me sucked right in. I woke up an hour earlier than I should've done so got up, made some coffee and played this for a bit more (did the door-handle/hand thing).

The driving still sucks balls though.

I keep trying to talk to George to get his second side-quest but nothing so far.

i've been trying to do that too but not even managed to talk to him in the police station yet, he's always somewhere else :fist: was enjoying this but given it a rest to play some rented stuff, which is a problem with renting.

He's in his office in the police station when I try getting his quest but still nothing.

oh man, i was thinking i'd be home free if i found him in the police station. think i read you have to do this bit first before you give him the

flower

, could that be the problem?