passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Deadly Premonition

HandsomeDead

• 1 month later...
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut launches exclusively for PlayStation 3 early next year, Rising Star Games has announced.

That's Q1 2013 for the US and Europe.

The Director's Cut of Japanese designer Hidetaka 'Swery' Suehiro's love it or hate it thriller features new content and updated controls.

You get a new scenario created by Swery, a reworked control system for "an even better combat experience", and downloadable content "to expand the mystery beyond the original game". Oh, and there are HD graphics.

At German game show gamescom Swery told Eurogamer he had a list of around 200 things he wanted to improve for the Director's Cut.

"When Deadly Premonition went on sale, I got loads of feedback from the users, opinions, complaints," he said. "So I've got a list of about 200 things they want improved. I'm going through that list and choosing the things I think will be good to work on.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-16-deadly-premonition-the-directors-cut-out-exclusively-on-ps3-q1-2013

• 3 months later...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-31-swery-is-interested-in-setting-deadly-premonitions-follow-up-in-europe-producer-suggests-hitchin

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut has been officially dated for 19th April in Europe via publisher Rising Star. It was previously expected to come out a week later, and will contain improved graphics and control, an additional scenario as part of the main quest, and DLC such as new outfits, cars and a house.

Intriguingly, game director Swery expressed an interest in setting a Deadly Premonition follow-up in Europe.

When asked in an interview with the EU PlayStation Blog where he planned to take Deadly Premonition's characters next, Swery replied, "I'm in discussion with Tomio [Kanazawa, producer] about the future of Deadly Premonition. It may not be Deadly Premonition 2 but it's definitely going to be something. At the moment we're talking about how it might be interesting to set the game in Europe."

Upon being asked if he was interested in London, Kanazawa chimed in to say, "No, the countryside. Hitchin, for example. I've lived in Hitchin for many years as I've been working with Rising Star Games. When I first started living there, there was no entertainment - I could find nothing. But I have come to love it over time - so I recommended it to Swery!"

Outside of Deadly Premonition, Swery expressed an interest in episodic gaming. "Putting Deadly Premonition aside, I'm most interested in creating something episodic, like a TV series, where each installment is unique and interesting and makes you want to play the next one. It could be affordable for players, but would make them want to play more. Something like that," he stated.

When asked if he was a fan of Telltale's Walking Dead game then, Swery replied, "Yes. I liked it because it gave players choices - often ethical choices. I like that aspect in games."

A UK version you say? That would be excellent.

that would be odd!

and still bollocks to ps3 only but saying that i wouldnt buy it anyway - if you have not played it - you should! everyone should play this, really is a hidden gem of this generation. i still think about it and still would love to live in greenvale. in fact fuck it, best atmosphere of any game ever. so says mr stewart.

• 7 months later...

I was bought the Director's Cut for my birthday and so far it has been a bit of a disappointment. First of all, what I wanted from the Director's Cut. I wanted the option to turn off subtitles and a map that didn't rotate. I find subtitles in games incredibly distracting and the map is just a bit of a pain in the arse. Neither one of these things have changed though, still huge fucking subtitles on the screen and still a stupid map that rotates all over the shop and you can barely zoom out. You can increase the size of the mini map while driving now though which I don't think you could do before. That is a bit better but still not ideal, thankfully I still know my way around fairly well.

Onto the new problems they have created then. The frame rate is butts. Big butts and not the kind you can't lie about liking. The whole prologue crawls along and it isn't until you get out into Greenvale that you get anything decent. The sound also stutters and jumps all the time. The movement has been changed so you just push in the direction you want. No more tank controls but because of this the camera struggles to keep up when in corridors.

In terms of extra content, there seems to be an additional cutscene of an old man telling a story to a little girl at the start of each chapter. That is about it. The trailers and stuff showed off new costumes and such which although not exactly a selling point, seemed like they would be fun to mess around with. That seems to be DLC though and not the sort of DLC that comes free with a code in the game.

It is still awesome though. Calling it the Director's Cut seems like a cynical way to trick people that loved it on Xbox into buying it again, then trying to sell us more in the shape of DLC. Because love is dumb and it will do those sort of things. I wanted to play it again anyway, I just wish I had just gone back to the 360 version.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 01/01/2011 at 14:57, Hendo said:

First impressions - it looks fucking awful! There's some textures in the opening cinematic (with the kids and Grandpa) that are down-right painful to look at. Proper actual fuzzy flickering bushes and trees.

Also the control is bad on the character, camera and movement seems really off.

On a purely mechanical level, this is one of the worst games I've ever played. And I haven't even got into any battles yet. :mellow:

Nine years later, these first impressions hold up. It still looks terrible. Not sure whether they did any work to the visuals but it looks just as bad as it did back then.

You can change any of the button configurations, which may have been in the original, can’t remember, which is good as I switched round a couple.

Not sure I’ll finish it for a second time, but I have fond memories of the game as a whole, despite all the technical shitness of it, and still the closest you’ll get at a decent attempt of Twin Peaks : The Game.

I started this too. I had it on xb1 backwards compatible but found the aiming to be so sensitive and fast I couldn’t get into it. Having it handheld tho it’s pretty easy and feels better than it did with the Xbox pad.

I wouldn’t agree that it looks terrible as such. I couldn’t imagine it being hyper realistic. Half the charm is things like how tiny you are compared to the road when you escape the first section. Even how bad the footsteps in the rain sound.

I could never recommend this game to anyone, but it is fantastic. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’d completely forgotten how god awful the driving is in this. 
I ended up watching a video detailing the whole story the other night and I’m currently stuck in a position where I have to wait about 8 hours till the community centre is open. I could drive back to the hotel and sleep there to pass the time, or I could drive around the empty world where nothing is open or I could not go back.

I’m keeping my positive memories of the game but it’s tempting to leave it in the past and prepare for the sequel instead. 
There’s a good video from EG that has some fine points on what to hope for in the sequel. I don’t think there’s any spoilers in it.