passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

illdog

This arrived super early from Shopto very impressed with that.

Started the single player first just to get used to the controls again, it starts with a quick recap of the first two games and then its back on you, exactly where Ezio was at the end of the last game.

Its more of the same really, same controls, same things to do, just this time each individual goal can only be 100% synchronised by a specific action. For example, I had to kill a particular guard but 100% sync would only be achieved if I killed him by throwing him into a nearby scaffold. Not sure I feel about these goals yet, the OCD in me wont let me not 100% any of them and so far theyve been easy enough but I can see them getting harder therefore more frustrating.

Had a quick go on Multiplayer, after a training simulator you can choose 1 out of two gametypes (more are unlocked as you level up). I chose Wanted, which is like a free for all in the city but its quite open plan. You pick your character, enter the game and you are given a target to assassinate. The play area is filled with characters and they all look exactly like the selection of characters you get to choose from. You have to use your radar to identify the human player and assassinate them, whilst at the same time avoid the player whos trying to assassinate you. I didnt always use my radar, I just looked for the idiot that was running and jumping around whilst I tried to walk at a slow pace to blend in to the NPCs. Really addictive, hope that sort of makes sense.

Ive yet to try the other playlist, thats for tonight and the next one unlocks at Level 5.

Thumbs up so far,.

thanks for the impressions illdog! i wasn't going to bother with this as i've still not got very far in number 2, but someone told me the multiplayer in this is a bit like the old splinter cell multiplayer, from your description it doesn't sound like it but i'm interested in hearing about the other modes :)

Great impressions le dog.

I actually grew rather bored with AC II but Brotherhood is amazing and by far the best in the series.

I love how much of a badass you are in this game. Loads of new moves and gameplay bits. It feels like they have really been able to put so much into this third outing.

There is lots to collect here too, but this time in much smaller doses which is better. Also the challenge tombs are back and bigger and more rewarding.

Ubisoft Singapore who worked on some of this game are in the same building as me and so I have been playing multi with a few of the devs and getting owned.

All in all the multi is very nice and stays true to the core game. It's not something you will play solidly for hours and hours on end, but a few games here and there are incredibly satisfying.

All in all the multi is very nice and stays true to the core game. It's not something you will play solidly for hours and hours on end, but a few games here and there are incredibly satisfying.

Your right dude, i played multi for an hour and that was enough, played the single player for an hour and wanted to go back to multi. Then switched back again. And that was my Thursday night.

Multi can be very confusing, ive got to Level 8 and im still not always sure how i stun a would-be attacker accurately or what the best way to assassinate your target is. Addictive though.

Its takin me a while to get back into fighting in the single player. I started to hate the combat system at first but it turns out it was just me making a pigs ass out of a simple thing. Loving taking out the Captain's at the Borgia (?) towers, ive just done one that required an epic amount of stealth to sneak down into the depths of a building where the Captian was standing, i had to kill about 10 guards with out raising suspision on the way down, then after i lept off the top of a wall partition to kill the Captain i had to run like fuck from another ten guards who heard the Captains death cries.

Ive heard this is shorter than ACII but it feels massive.

Oh and Oli, i miss you. Come back to England.

Think I just did the same bit as you there Illdog. At least it sounds very similar. Good to see the stealth gameplay working effectively this time round.

The Borgia tower missions are great as they actually require some proper planning in order for you to be succeasfup.

Get to sequence 4 and this game starts to become unique. I can now recruit assassins from the repressed community and train them into killers by sending them on contacts around Europe. Successful completion of these contracts earn them experience points so that they may level up through the ranks to become full fledged assassins and skill points to spend on their armour and weapons. They can also be called into battle by pressing the L button.

There's so much to do on my map at the moment, anyone thinking this is Ass Creed 2.5 is hugely mistaken.

My only gripes so far are the controls (see AC and AC2) and I'm having a hard time getting a multiplayer game going. Either it never finds enough players or it gathers the players but won't initialize the game.

Its more of the same really, same controls, same things to do, just this time each individual goal can only be 100% synchronised by a specific action. For example, I had to kill a particular guard but 100% sync would only be achieved if I killed him by throwing him into a nearby scaffold.

I had this, couldn't work out how I was meant to kill him so I just killed him the old fashioned way. Maybe I'll go back to it or maybe I won't, though my OCD had made me redo one of these and an achievement popped up!

What's surprising to me is that I'm enjoying the single player much more than the multi. I was expecting a bare bones single player and the multi would be where the attention would be, but it's the other way round.

The main problem with the multiplayer is getting a game started, like illdizzle said. I wasted 20 minutes of my life sitting on a loading screen that may or may not have lead to a match but by then I'd lost the will to live.

Played a little of the team game which is kind of cool but mostly on the free for all type. I think the more you level up, the easier it will be as you not only unlock extra slots and perks but you can also unlock a gun which has to be useful.

All I've got to hand so far is a disguise (actually unlocked more things but I've only the one slot so I'm sticking with it) and it's really useful whether you're being followed or you're following someone, as long as you don't get spotted putting it on. Had that happen a few times.

One thing I don't understand is why you would want to customise your character models? Surely the last thing you want is for your character to look unique?

Im waiting patiently (if i could find a game) to get to Level 10 for the hidden blade, some guy took me out about 900 times in a row with that bad boy. Low scoring kill though, as its rushed and unpoetic.

Can you actually customise the characters appearence? I know you can customise the weapons loadout, i have smoke bombs which are used as a blocking mechanic (instantly makes your pursuer stop and cough if they hit the smoke) but i didnt know you could change your appearance.

On the single player, some of the Leonardo missions (mid game point) on are epic...

Also, loving assigning my recruited assassins to contracts via the pidgeon coop, im always at the fucking things, people in the towns must think I have a massive bird fetish.

Yeah you can go and change at very least the colours of your characters' clothes, pretty sure there's extra gear you unlock specific to each character too.

One thing I found annoying in multiplayer was the distance I was safe at seemed to be all over the shop - sometimes I would be about 10 feet away at least and yet I got stopped from running away and I got stabbed. There was no indication of anything being used to slow me down or stop me, I just got the feeling lag was making me look further away than I was or something.

I've had someone use smoke bomb on me, very useful it was for him.

Yea, ive had that distance problem, i was just about to peg it as I saw the dude coming toward me but i couldnt move, had to wait for the animation to kick in then i was as dead as John Candy.

Just back to the single player, i like the fact that if you spot a flag/feather whilst using Eagle Vision you'll notice the game saves and the flag appears on your map - thats a great touch. Saves alot of head scrathing later if you dont want to use a shitty collectables guide.

Played a bit of multi with Hinn and his mate on Manhunt. Good fun when it worked but there were times when we'd get split up even though we were all tied together through the party.

Got to level 10 now so have unlocked the 2nd ability slot. I've made 2 profiles, one called Attack and one called Defense. Attack has a hidden gun and sprint, Defense has disguise and smoke bomb. I could really do with a third slot for a bit of each for Wanted. It's alright on Manhunt because I can flip between them depending on what my team has to do.

Speaking of which, here's some multiplayer info:

Game Modes

Wanted

One player chooses a character and is assigned a target to kill. One or multiple (depending on your rank) other players hunt the player at the same time. You are the hunter and the prey at the same time, the goal is to master both of the sections in the gameplay. This mode relies on use of NPC characters to make it more difficult as there can be several characters who look like the target in the same area, and any visual customizations on a player character will be shared by their NPC counterparts. Killing an innocent person cancels the assassination contract.

Manhunt

There are two teams of four. One team is the hunters, the other is the hunted. Each team looks like a specific character and takes turns being the hunter and the hunted. Hunters obtain points by assassinations, while the hunted obtain points from escapes, stuns, and remaining incognito. The team with the highest score wins.

Alliance

There are three teams, each limited to 2 players. Each team represents a character. The point of this mode is to get more points than the other team, but each team is chased by another and is only allowed to kill one specific team (not the team chasing them, but they will be able to stun the team hunting them). This mode encourages players to work together, as teammates can help each other or they can assassinate their target simultaneously.

Advanced Wanted

This is a variant of Wanted mode. There's one difference: the player's radar does not specify the height of the target.

So it doesn't look like customising your character will make you stand out more.

Couldn't sleep last night so fired this up and went on a collect-a-thon. I'm now balls deep and loving it.

Have bought most of the properties I'm allowed to, bought a treasure map and found everything I could. Still quite early on I think too.

I think the more you level up, the easier it will be as you not only unlock extra slots and perks but you can also unlock a gun which has to be useful.

i got this on rental to try the multiplayer and was getting pretty annoyed with the above problem, the other team had powers that could change the people around them to the same character, as a noob i had no possible way of telling who the baddies were, they just stood there, and i just stood there like an idiot. but if i tried the same thing (i had to find the same type of characters to hide with) they have various powers they can use to tell wich one i am. a lot of games have unlocks as you progress but you usually stand some sort of chance when starting out, like in cod you can still shoot people who have fancy perks, in this there is literally nothing you can do - unless i'm missing something? i'll be sticking at it for a bit to try and get some of these decent abilities because the idea behind it is pretty interesting.

i'm not going to bother with single player as i haven't finished 2 - i guess this would spoil the plot in the old one? or is the plot bolocks so it doesn't matter?

Yeah they've spread the unlocks out quite a lot, though pretty much everything they will have that you don't will have a cooldown and limited use, so try to keep your eye out for a bit and see if they transform back.

Also a tip I read on the 360achievements forum:

I discovered that the weird, sinister whispering noise you sometimes hear during gameplay can in fact help save your life. As soon as you enter the line of sight of your pursuer, it starts up, growing louder as the pursuer gets closer. Knowing this, I've managed to more quickly id my pursuer, or at least give me a greater sense of urgency when hunting my own target. If the line of sight between the pursuer and you is broken, the whispering stops, so use that plus physical cues from the pursuer to know who to stun or when to run.

Can't remember hearing anything like that but apparently works.

Also free DLC coming soon, "Animus Project Update 1.0." coming out 14th of December.

Included in APU1 is a "brand-new" game mode called Advanced Alliance; it's basically Alliance Mode, but harder. If that wasn't enough to sharpen your blade to, how does a new map sound? Mont Saint-Michel isn't just a fancy French name, it's also the name of the new map, "located on a rocky tidal island of Normandy in France." Ubi promises an environment full of "narrow streets, high-perched bell tower and multi-leveled architecture."

Had an awesome mission/sequence last night. It involved a castle, 2 pretty ladies and some stealth - it was epic!

Got my assassins guild on the go, I'm making sure they're always off doing quests for me - I could spend an entire day doing that assassin management stuff, it's a really good addition to the game.