passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rock Band 3

Hendo

As they have done it now, there is very little reason to bother with the pro stuff. What's the point in getting the guitar when you have to figure in all the extra expense of buying the DLC to be compatible with it. And what about playing with friends? If they don't have the pro version can they play in your band. Harmonix a re shooting themselves in the foot with this fiasco is you ask me.

Like the exporting off the disc though, they have to charge people because it's re-licensing those songs.

The thing that will kick up confusion is saying a track is the "Rock Band 3 version" which makes it sound like it has everything, when in fact it doesn't - it has everything bar pro guitar and pro bass.

I'd imagine that the pro guitar/bass tracks are where the prices are getting pushed up and they want to give people a cheaper alternative if they don't need it, people in my position basically.

In this instance, the better solution for hardcore players would be a subscription one.

I'd imagine that the pro guitar/bass tracks are where the prices are getting pushed up and they want to give people a cheaper alternative if they don't need it, people in my position basically.

yeah apparently charting pro bass/guitar takes as much time as doing the rest of the charts put together!

edit - had some good fun multiplayer on this last night with Ben. it's much easier to swap between instruments and stuff now.

I got the achievement. It just popped randomly I think after playing for a while. The game hangs when you try to play online sometimes, you go to invite people and you end up quitting back to dash due to the connection just hanging and not giving you any other options.

Made my first setlist, had to edit the name as the original wasn't considered "classy" enough to be shared online. Was originally "Keys - Piss Easy".

It's basically every song I can survive through on Pro Keys on Expert, so I added every easy song and started going through it. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can edit songs or order. You can edit the title, description and art but not the songs which is more than a little stupid.

Like the sad bastard I am, I've made a list of every song I have that uses keys and what difficulty I can finish the song in. In fairness, some of the Medium tracks I can't remember playing so I might be better or worse on them, but the general rules are no more Easy mode and as long as I can finish the song on my own without failing then that's where it goes. Some tracks I can just scrape through and others I'm pretty good at. The goal being, obviously, to get as many songs to Hard and then Expert and eventually be able to sit at a piano and play them pretty well.

MEDIUM

Amy Winehouse – "Rehab"

The Beach Boys – "Good Vibrations" (Live)

Big Country – "In a Big Country"

Chicago – "25 or 6 to 4"

Deep Purple – "Smoke on the Water"

Def Leppard – "Foolin'"

The Doobie Brothers – "China Grove"

The Doors – "Break On Through (To the Other Side)"

The Doors - "Light My Fire"

The Doors - "Riders On The Storm"

Elton John – "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting"

Foreigner – "Cold as Ice"

Golden Earring – "Radar Love"

James Brown – "I Got You (I Feel Good)"

The J. Geils Band – "Centerfold"

The Jimi Hendrix Experience ˆ"Crosstown Traffic"

Juanes – "Me Enamora"

Lynyrd Skynyrd – "Free Bird"

Metric – "Combat Baby"

Night Ranger – "Sister Christian"

Phish – "Llama"

Poni Hoax – "Antibodies"

Pretty Girls Make Graves – "Something Bigger, Something Brighter"

Queen – "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Steve Miller Band – "Fly Like an Eagle"

Swingin' Utters – "This Bastard's Life"

Tears for Fears – "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"

Them Crooked Vultures – "Dead End Friends"

Tokio Hotel – "Humanoid"

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers – "I Need to Know"

Yes – "Roundabout"

HARD

Blondie – "Heart of Glass"

Bob Marley & The Wailers – "Get Up, Stand Up"

David Bowie – "Space Oddity"

Dio – "Rainbow in the Dark"

Dire Straits – "Walk of Life"

Echo & the Bunnymen – "The Killing Moon"

Faith No More – "Midlife Crisis"

The Flaming Lips – "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1"

HIM – "Killing Loneliness"

Huey Lewis and the News – "The Power of Love"

Ida Maria – "Oh My God"

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts – "I Love Rock 'n Roll"

John Lennon – "Imagine"

Maná – "Oye Mi Amor"

The Police – "Don't Stand So Close to Me"

Rammstein – "Du Hast"

Rilo Kiley – "Portions for Foxes"

Ravonettes – "Last Dance"

Roxette – "The Look"

Slipknot – "Before I Forget"

Smash Mouth – "Walkin' on the Sun"

The Smiths – "Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before"

The Sounds – "Living in America"

Spacehog - "In The Meantime"

T. Rex – "20th Century Boy"

Tegan and Sara – "The Con"

War – "Low Rider"

Warren Zevon – "Werewolves of London"

Whitesnake – "Here I Go Again"

EXPERT

The B-52s – "Rock Lobster"

Devo – "Whip It"

INXS – "Need You Tonight"

Marilyn Manson – "The Beautiful People"

The Cure – "Just Like Heaven"

If you want to perfect 100% a song on Expert Pro Keys, I would recommend "Need You Tonight" as it's ridiculously easy. One 3 note chord through the entire song, that's it.

sounds like you're making good progress with the keys, nice work Hendo!

my 3rd cymbal arrived last friday so i've been doing some pro drumming at the weekend, it's great fun. i am having positional difficulties with the yellow cymbal though, it was over the red pad but this was slightly confusing so i moved it over the yellow pad so all the cymbals lined up with the right colour pad. this meant it got in the way of the tv so i put it back over the red. then decided to put the tv on a box and move it over the yellow pad again. then came up against antibodies - on normal drums it has fast red hits with the occasional yellow but on pro drums it swaps this so the fast hits are on the yellow cymbal with occasional red pad hits - which is now nearly impossible for me, so i need to either leave it and not play antibodies, switch the yellow cymbal back over the red pad AGAIN, or develop better left handed drumming skillz.

Wouldn't it be better to let you customize your drums to how you prefer in pro mode, that's what actual drummers do, right?

Surely assigning the yellow pad to snare (and also using the yellow cymbal) would be comfortable, it would muck up the way they display it on screen but maybe the pro drums need a re-working, just swapping some pad/cymbal icons isn't very pro.

^ yeah that would be good if you could customise the order of the lanes in the game and where the cymbals are and stuff. it also gives me an idea, i could just swap the cables round for that one song.

If you're gonna play on Pro Drums then you've got to go the whole way with it and do it properly, same as Pro keys, there's no point doing one finger keyboard playing.

not sure i fully understand what you're getting at? like DC said drummers have all sorts of layouts so what way is proper? anyway i was just looking for ideas how to sort out this odd pattern, i'll look into where a drummer playing this pattern might have the cymbals/pads and what hands they'd use and stuff :)

i couldn't find a vid of pro drums but this is the normal drums, its the section at 3:00 but the red and yellow pads are reversed and the fast hits are on the yellow cymbal.

actually just looking at that gives me some ideas, he has the red pad in a lot better position for fast hits like that than i do. mine is setup like the rock band drums, but they're quite a bit bigger so i have to lean over to the left, and there's quite a few songs where everything is on red/yellow.

not sure i fully understand what you're getting at? like DC said drummers have all sorts of layouts so what way is proper? anyway i was just looking for ideas how to sort out this odd pattern, i'll look into where a drummer playing this pattern might have the cymbals/pads and what hands they'd use and stuff :)

I mean like Sly says, the best thing to do is get your left hand up to speed with the right. Placement is also very important, make sure everything is easily in reach and that you'll be able to hit them with your eyes closed.

Not sure if it helps but if you can adjust the heights that might do it - on a real kit, the snare is generally lower down than the highhat, toms higher than the highhat and crash highest of all. Pretty much like he has on that video.

I don't fully understand pro drums - is that it on that video? I don't see what's different about that to the usual drumming, other than he appears to have an extra cymbal but still only has (on-screen) a bass drum colour and 4 other drum colours.

And it doesn't have a drum fill section. Is that the only difference?

Fair play though, 100% expert on that track, the mind boggles!

I mean like Sly says, the best thing to do is get your left hand up to speed with the right. Placement is also very important, make sure everything is easily in reach and that you'll be able to hit them with your eyes closed.

Not sure if it helps but if you can adjust the heights that might do it - on a real kit, the snare is generally lower down than the highhat, toms higher than the highhat and crash highest of all. Pretty much like he has on that video.

I don't fully understand pro drums - is that it on that video? I don't see what's different about that to the usual drumming, other than he appears to have an extra cymbal but still only has (on-screen) a bass drum colour and 4 other drum colours.

And it doesn't have a drum fill section. Is that the only difference?

thanks Hendo for the drum placement info, i shal look into that. you're right it would be a good idea if my left hand was better at it but i'm still not convinced the section i'm on about would be played with the left hand doing the hard work (see video at the bottom).

about the pro drums, like i said i couldn't find a video for pro drums on that song - pro drums have 3 cymbals, with the 3 lanes on the right have 2 different symbals, one for a pad hit and one for the cymbal hit, the drum fills you can now turn on/off in both pro and normal drums - like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQIBB1b6tBc

that guy has 2 foot pedals making the close bass hits easier.

...Here we go - this shows what i'm on about the fast yellow cymbal hits with the occasional red on pro mode (would be the other way round for normal) he hits the red pad with his right hand, so i think i'll move my yellow cymbal back over the red pad so i can do this too - which is where people i've seen seem to have them but it doesn't make much sence in the charting - the red lane should have a cymbal rather than the yellow.

That's a pretty accurate drum kit set up, fucking insane skills too!

Les Claypool is a ridiculous bass player, if you want to test your guitar/bass skills, try the bass part on Jerry Was A Race Car Driver on expert, I would imagine it would be crazy hard.

So is all the old Rock Band stuff compatible with Rock Band 3. Just been in HMV and the Rock Band drum kit is only a tenner. If it is all compatible I might pick up RB3 and guitar and an old set of drums. Also the new RB3 guitar - can you play it the old way (ie five coloured buttons and the strum...thing) or is it the new 'super realistic just like a real guitar' guitar?