passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rock Band 3

Hendo

Writing this while downloading the free Doors pack, so have only made my band so far.

Most notable thing is it's the first time the intro isn't CG but is real people playing real instruments, the song being Break On Through by The Doors, looks good, sounds good, gets you pumped to play it.

The keyboard seems really good quality and that midi-out may come in very handy in the future. The main thing for me is using this to learn how to play keys properly which I'm sure will make me progress better than I have before, randomly stabbing at keys, only playing one note at a time and hoping for the best.

I will be sticking to keys and pro mode only for quite a while.

I'll be taking this to a mate's later on, might as well take the 360 as well due to all the tracks in my collection.

Quick question, how do you import RB and RB2 tracks? I see a "redeem code" option but no "import" option.

Quick question, how do you import RB and RB2 tracks? I see a "redeem code" option but no "import" option.

I think you're meant to reuse the code on the back of the RB2 manual (ie the one for the 20 free bonus tracks) - costs 800 M$ points...

The RB1 tracks are exported via the RB1 menu system (if you haven't already done so)...

Yep, code is on the back of the instruction manual for RB2, redeem via the 360 menu, not the RB3 menu.

I see no code on the RB3 manual for future exporting which is a little worrying.

Hmm, didn't actually charge me anything and says I am downloading "Rock Band 2 Bonus Tracks", unsure if this is right.

Hmm, you didn't get your bonus tracks for RB2 when it came out?

On a separate note, GAME just dispatched mine today, so due to the combination of GAME being shit at getting stuff out and EA not realising that people not living in the USA have no fucking time to grab the free stuff for buying the game, I am a bit pissed off.

Hmm, you didn't get your bonus tracks for RB2 when it came out?

I can't remember, all I know is I have a code on the back of the manual, that's it. Even still, the setlist says I have 248 songs so far which is good enough for me.

*EDIT* Now downloaded, says I have 268 tracks. That'll do me.

Yep, code is on the back of the instruction manual for RB2, redeem via the 360 menu, not the RB3 menu.

I see no code on the RB3 manual for future exporting which is a little worrying.

Hmm, didn't actually charge me anything and says I am downloading "Rock Band 2 Bonus Tracks", unsure if this is right.

like Sly said you've just got the 20 free songs that were availiable on rb2 release.

apparently to do the rb2 export you need to use the same code - first 16 characters - in the RB3 menu somewhere - like Rob said.

Yep, not the most intuitive method ever.

1. Game will recognise your DLC and Rock Band 1 tracks (if imported previously into RB2) automatically.

2. Put code from back of RB2 manual into the Marketplace "redeem code" thing and you'll download the bonus RB2 tracks. These may already be in your generic RB folder, I have no idea but I downloaded them anyway.

3. In the RB3 menu, go to "Get More Songs", then "Redeem Code" and put in as much of the code as you can, with no hyphens. This will then take you to the Marketplace and ask you to cough up the 7 quid or so to import the tracks.

Questions regarding hard-drive space - I no longer own RB1 and am pretty much never going to play RB2 again so is there anything in my HDD that I can delete to save space? I wasn't sure so I've left everything where it was.

Actual impressions now.

All I've touched is keys on pro mode on Easy. Christ it's harder than I expected! It's not too bad really but it really is like learning a new instrument in real life. I was expecting Easy to limit it to just one of the 4 coloured sections (5 really but the fifth is only one key on the end) but you will play across at least 2, maybe 3. You can only see 3 sections on the highway, I don't know how it works for Expert, either it crams the whole lot in or flips between sections.

Played online with Haggar and MFNick, with Haggar on bass and Nick on drums because stupidly, you can't have bass, guitar and keys together online at the moment. Not sure whether that's a bug or a design flaw but it does seem silly.

Played online with Haggar and MFNick, with Haggar on bass and Nick on drums because stupidly, you can't have bass, guitar and keys together online at the moment. Not sure whether that's a bug or a design flaw but it does seem silly.

yeah i read that too, sounds well annoying tbh :(

i'm well impressed with this so far, great selection of new songs, some great improvements, like how when playing multiplayer it works out your individual score and counts for the leaderboards, better song sorting, easier to swap between instruments, loads of stats after each song, and i'm sure there's loads more cool stuff.

tried some standard keyboard and bass using the keyboard on hard and it didn't seem too bad getting used to it, then later on tried some pro keys and even on easy it's so hard to get the positioning right - anyone know anything about playing the real keyboard - any tips? it seemed like a good idea to try and work out where your hands were from the black keys and have a hand for each coloured section - untill it uses too many coloured sections...

tried drums on expert - noticed the lane moves faster than before, which is good because hyperspeed was too fast for me but i wanted to try it a bit faster than normal, which is just what this seems like. tried some pro drums on hard, but only with 2 cymbls - it was a bit confusing but not that bad. the yellow cymbol seems to get a lot of use and mine is in a funny place at the moment so that was tricky.

also like Hendo says the keyboard hardware seems pretty good, i usually feel like i'm being ripped off a bit with these fake plastic instruments (when they're at "just released" prices anyway) but this actually feels good quality and that it can be used as a midi keyboard, i don't feel ripped off this time anyway.

did the rock band 2 export, got the HMV preorder songs, the free doors ones and the doors pack, only played 2 doors ones so far and they sounded good but that was on easy pro keys so i haven't got a clue what they play like on any other instruments.

there's so much new stuff to do it's crazy, and pro guitar isn't even out yet. although i can see how it would seem much less amazing if you can't play a lot of the new modes through lack of peripherals but i think there's enough good new songs and features that it's worthwhile for anyone.

beast and the harlot is back :wub:

and i got 1st place on the drums leaderboard for The Touch, first go too, but obviously not many people will have played it yet :awe:

Eventually downloaded the RB2 tracks, just under 2 gigs worth, took ages so I had to leave the house with just the game, keys and guitars.

338 songs in my collections now. :blink:

I like that you can go mental with the music library in how you filter them, like by song length and now you can rate them.

Not so keen on the fact that not every song in the new setlist has keys support.

People are now saying it's difficult to know what Harmonix can possibly do to improve this for a sequel, and bar improve the pro guitar tech (and add pro bass support) the main thing I want is to be able to turn off the animated band members and have something else in the background as it worked when the songs were actual covers in the early GH days but now it looks a but silly, especially when it's decided to put a petite girl doing the vocal for Motorhead or something.

I hopped up to Medium pro keys last night and quickly went back down again. Easy is a rediculously cut-back version of the part but Medium brings in chords so it's time to invest in the practice sessions.

^ yeah i did the same with keys, the chords are really hard, any idea if you're supposed to use 1 hand or 2 on the keyboard? i've been using 2 but i suspect that might be cheating a bit.

also i thought pro bass was already in there? not sure mind.

~560 songs here!

I'm sure it tells you in the songlist menu somewhere on RB2, on here it tells you at the top of the screen.

Now keys, pro guitar and harmonies are standard, I want loads of Radiohead (the entire Ok Computer please - ok, maybe not "Fitter Happier"), Depeche Mode (albums "Violator", "Songs of Faith and Devotion" and "Ultra"), "Sledgehammer" by Peter Gabriel, the Graceland album by Paul Simon and this song I'd never heard till today, posted on another forum.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7t7cGwN7_0?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7t7cGwN7_0?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7t7cGwN7_0?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm going through the tutorials at the moment for keys, it's starting to get tricky on the tail end of Medium where it's giving me basic chords and intervals.

It tells you in the description which finger you should start the run on but it would be better to have a visual animation of a close up of what the hand should be doing.

Sly, can't you download that Doors pack through the Marketplace?

Sly, can't you download that Doors pack through the Marketplace?

you can't get it unless you play rb3 within the first week or so - maybe ends tuesday, also i'm not sure its compatible with rb2 anyway.

sorry double post - completely messed up editing :unsure:

I don't think that's a massive problem - the pro instruments give this enough of a leap forward that if you're invested in buying DLC and want to buy more in the future you just need the new game.

Because they've changed the career mode, I'm a little but confused as what I do for specific goals. Like with RB2, I see which gig I haven't finished yet and do the setlists there but on this one I'm not sure what I have to do to progress.

Oh, also used the "learn a song" feature last night - takes different sections of the song and loops them for you to practice over and over, you can slow them right down if you like. I suppose this was in the others but I never saw a great need for it myself.

It doesn't seem to give you hints on hand positions though (me on keys, obviously) so the chords on Imagine are a little unwieldy for me.

I can get through Beautiful People and Just Like Heaven on expert now, though Beautiful People's keys part only comes along for about 5 seconds on the pre-chorus and then nothing till it comes round again.

It doesn't seem to give you hints on hand positions though (me on keys, obviously) so the chords on Imagine are a little unwieldy for me.

I can get through Beautiful People and Just Like Heaven on expert now, though Beautiful People's keys part only comes along for about 5 seconds on the pre-chorus and then nothing till it comes round again.

not the same bit but in the pro keys training it tells you which fingers to use on the scales and chords, not sure how much that'll help though. the octave chords are mental, my hand doesn't streach far enough. and where it tells you to use your thumb and middle finger for a chord - its fine when the thumb is on a white note, but its a struggle when the thumb is on a black note - not sure i'm doing it right - are you supposed to press the white note near the top of the keyboard?

and that's really impressive doing some tracks on expert!

i'm sticking with medium but am failing a lot of songs, love being able to continue when you fail though - great feature.

@ Sly - about the song count on RB2 - there isn't a total one but the start of each section tells you how many songs in that section so if you switch the sorting to "location" it's easy to add them up :)