passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Pinball Thread

Sly Reflex

Don't go mad buying stuff unless you really want it. It's OK doing that but not everyone is able or willing to invest. I don't know how many tables Jim has, I was trying to figure out by the screnshot he took of his score but it looks like it works out superscore a bit differently on none console devices.

I was thinking about this earlier and it doesn't help that there are tables that are bundled. If we draw one of those bundled tables we should play them all week on week so that whoever has to buy-in actually gets some monies worth out of them.

Yeah, if you keep at it you're going to end up beating me for sure. Maybe not all the time, but posting a score that high on your first pinball game is a pretty unheard of. I remember when I started FX I could barely make it past a few million.

I got two lucky spare balls quite early on. Managed to get multi ball activated and got into the turret factory and activitated the laser plenty of times as well as getting into the bonus games. Hitting stuff basically. I still haven't managed to complete any of the mini games fully, so I think I can get it much higher than that. I'm now aiming for 200 mill tomorrow.

We need someone to face off against Andy. I know Ed has some tables, not sure he has Portal though. He could join in on the ones he has. Who fancies going head to head with Kurosaki for the wooden spoon? :lol:

I'm glad Jim is getting into it, a bit of competition is ace. I've no idea if it's beginners luck or whether he's just got the knack for it, maybe he's just got the number of the Portal table. I don't know. I fucking like it though, as frustrating as it is setting a top score and then someone beating it there's a sense of enjoyment in that you drove the other person to go that extra mile and because of that I need to go further too. It's that determination to be top that drives people to get better. It's hard to have an incentive to do something when nobody else is pushing you to go for it.

I'm pretty sure I can beat his score. I didn't get any extra balls and was scoring something like 32m off each ball. Jim got 2 extra balls (lol) and got an average of 21m per ball. If I can get one more ball and carry the same scoring average I'll get into the 140m's. As it stands he's less than 2 million in front of me so I'm certain it can be done, maybe by altering the way I play so I get more off bonuses or trying to finish more missions to completion. It's just a mental thing of keeping composure when the pressure adds up. If I can't, then I can't, sometimes that's just the way it is.

It's certainly beatable. I made loads of mistakes and didn't take full advantage of the missions. It's nailing lots of little bits. Finding rat man gets you 4.5 mill, hitting the skill shot at the start is 3mil plus each time, the atlas/pbody muliball is easily 20 mill. I know I can beat it.

Are we looking at Guardians next?

Managed 119m just now. Again, it was a scrappy run. I kept spamming the turret game (option 4) as it gives you two balls so is a safe 5-10m depending on how well you do.

Didn't manage any spare balls this time, but did the atlas/pbody multiball twice in the same game and got into the turret factory.

It's frustrating as I know I can get a much higher score, it's just everything falling into place. I think for the time being in going to move on to Guardians.

I'll have a session at it to see what I can do. If I don't manage a better run I'll concede this table and move on to GotG if only to keep the momentum. We can always come back and have a rematch further down the line.

Is that your final score? I'll be going on tomorrow. I'm going to have an hour on Portal and then shift across. I'll maybe spend an hour with GotG as well and see if I can nail it. I've nothing on all night so it's either going to be a very fruitful night or a very frustrating night given the score you posted on Portal.

Portal as a table is OK, probably the fact that it's Portal holds it up more than the mechanics of the table itself. There's design aspects of it that are a bit unfair that could have and should have been avoided, balls going straight down the middle from running from the side of the ramp or bouncing from the lift awkward that cannot be corrected even by nudging are my biggest gripe. I don't mind it when ramps funnel failed balls back down to be a challenge to save because you need to make sure you nail them. When something you do over and over again just decides to bounce wrong and leads to an unsavable ball or the mushrooms ping the ball up the side of the ramp and you know that as soon as gravity does it's job you're going to lose out and there's nothing you can do about it. Back then when tables used to be real it was a ploy to get you to shove more money in and it's really no secret that the fairer tables are the most successful ones. In an age where it's about having fun rather than getting people shoving coins into slots it's those favourites that tables should be following.