passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Pinball Thread

Sly Reflex

1 minute ago, Sly Reflex said:

Good job. Did you repeat mb mode over and over or did you collect Obsidian?

Also I'm calling it Scourers Apprentice from now on.

Thought I'd spelt that right as well, sorcerer's is dyslexia proof, also keep forgetting it's lair.

I didn't really have a strategy to be honest. Had two thirds of the obsidian by the time I drained but pretty much alternated between multi and challenges. Took me a few attempts to get there, but I was a bit rusty. 

2 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

If you want a challenge try Tesla. That shit is fucking impossible, even the people that are regularly in the top 10 say those challenges are clearly bullshit.

I think I have that on Switch but yet to play it. Almost certainly have it on PS4. I'm going to work on 100% clearing the tables I have at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been chugging through the tables from the top trying to claim all 15 stars on 1 Ball, 5 Minute Mode and Survival. I've surprised myself by being able to scalp all 45 stars and in some instances come quite high up the respectable modes leaderboards, but the biggest thing I've noticed is how utterly nonsense some of the milestone challenges are.

Tesla's are downright unreasonable. I'm friends with a few people that are top 100 players and are regularly within the top 10 and even they cant' do it. The table is brutal and the scores needed to break through the stars are way too high.

Another one is Fish Tales. On survival it's completely off kilter. Usually it works by having a set score , say 1 million and then for the next star you're looking at previous stars score + x% so as you play the scores and bonuses are ramped up and you accrue stars as you complete modes. Not here though, it goes from 5 million to 70 million or more over the space of 1 star, that's too much score to be asking for 2 stars. It finally caps out at 15 stars on something like 200 or 300 million.

The only way I found to pass it was to on my first flip on each ball lock the ball, then use the left orbit jackpot to try and scrape through before the timer reached zero. You jump so many stars, I think from 1 jackpot to reset the timer you get another jackpot and instantly hit 10 or 11 stars. It's really dumb and a big ask for those that might not be great at pinball. Plus you have all those stars between 2 and 10 that are basically wasted as you never progress through them.

In other news.

Red and Ted's is horse dick, so fuck that noise. Clowns are disguises for paedophiles to get close to kids, so fuck that shit as well. White Water is the only legit table there. I'll still buy it, because Zen overall do a good job, but this feels like a slap on the cock when you consider all the tables that should be in front of the two salad tossers in this batch.

Last night I booted up TPA to have a look at the tables we're getting in the next FX3 update.

Red and Ted is going to be interesting, because within 2 minutes of playing I'd heard loads of sexual references and also some overt racism again Indians. I'm guessing the PC version will be like for like, but the console version might have all that stripped out. Not that it matters, tables a crock of shite. I'd rather they'd done Funhouse if they're going for the creepy talking heads on the playing field.

Hurricane is alright. I was maybe a bit harsh on it, it's a nice beginner table, everything is nice and easy to hit and I like the looping ramps and stuff. It's very white though, I sometimes lost the ball due to the contrast between it and the playing surface being too low. The music is like something out of a fever dream, I don't think I could take it for long.. Clowns are still shit though, the only time I want to see a clown is when it's robbing a bank and shouting at people in a Yorkshire accent.

White Water is delicious.It's challenging but it flows like water. I'll be sad for all time if Zen bugger it up by making it too fast. I'll always have this version to play if they do goof it up, even if the ball physics are a bit floaty.

One thing I did notice when I was going through TPA is how ugly some of it is. Even in DX11 it looks ropey comparably.

Fucking hammered Red and Ted's. Do I like it? Eh, it's alright. I think visually the normal table without all the animated gubbins is better. I'm not really a fan of the across the table flipper shots and this has 2 of them, one for hitting Red in the face and the other for setting off the demo charges. If you fuck those shots up they can lead to drains, so you either need to practice them loads of try to use them when you know it's safe to do so.

It takes a bit of learning, I don't really know what's going on or what the objectives are asking of me other than hit the bulldozer and hit the ramps. It might be worth me having a proper read of the instructions before completely dismissing it, but a good pinball table shouldn't really make you do that. White Water for instance everything is front and centre. The lights go up, you shoot them and that's that, it's well signposted and the voice over tells you what you need to be doing at any one time, the latter being really important when everything is strobing like a motherfucker because you've loads of modes lit and can't pick out specific lamps because the light show is dazzling.

Not sure I could recommend this pack if I'm being honest. Your mileage may vary but for me it feels like they've scraped the barrel here, there's better more important tables they could have included.

20190605172532_1.jpg

20190605175758_1.jpg

I cannot reinforce this enough, Hurricane is a disgusting piece of shit. It might actually be the worst table they've ever kicked out. I don't know how close it is to the true to life table, but it really is the opposite of fun. It makes Boba Fett look like a stone cold classic.

That's what I've been doing. At least get the power ups, but try and go further. Maybe trying the achievements as well, although some of those are pretty difficult. Annoyingly they only count in standard modes as well, so ones I've happened to do on challenge, league or tournament mode have not unlocked. The one for doing the light show on Paranormal for instance.

So many tables though, even if you only spent a few hours on each table unlocking everything you're looking at over 200 hours now. I'm at 107 hours and I've only really done the original tables, the Universal tables (fuck Jaws, that's a piece of shit as well), Jurassic Park and the Williams Bally stuff. I still have all the Marvel, the Star Wars, Alien FOX and the other bits and bats they've released.

By the end of this year there'll be over 100 tables in the game. That's kind of mental when you think about how it snowballed from one game with 4 tables in it.

On a roll with these challenges. Still some tables to do out o the real life stuff, and unfortunately I don't think I'll be ever able to do some of them no matter how hard I try.

I can see that my leaderboard positions are gradually crawling up though. I used to be a top 1000 player. Now I'm about 300-ish or there abouts. I'm getting to the point where you click the names of the people around me and they've got 1000's of hours into this game and they play nothing else ever. I'm never going to be the best, but I'm proud of what I've achieved so far.

20190611174550_1.jpg