passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Castlevania : Harmony of Despair

illdog

You deserve to struggle for choosing Megatron over us.

To be fair, Hendo and me can walk you through this game on Normal. With three of us and Hendo and myself being so very powerful it will be an absolute piece of piss.

Yeah with the 3 of us together, Normal will be a cake walk. For example, that puppet boss, you could push boxes on all the iron maidens you can find and then have one staying by each one that's left.

Hard is just absolute rape. You expect the enemies to be tougher and to dish out more attack points but also it seems to run faster, or at least the pendulums swing faster, think the enemies also move faster.

Comparing my stats from one week ago:

post-62-1281189941342.jpg

And today:

post-62-12818045058745.jpg

My intelligence still hasn't budged so I think my character is a thickie. :(

Me and illdizzle have gone through Hard now, wasn't all that tough when there's 6 of you and at least one of them is Charlotte who has some healing spells and infinite magic.

Good timing too because as of Monday I'm back on 2pm - 10pm shift so I won't be around to play much when everyone else is. I'm still not done with this game though.

My stats have gone up again since I posted that pic - after finishing Hard mode I was given a load of Simon Belmont gear that I can wear, so I've got them on and also been grinding a different sub weapon which has put my attack stat up.

Tips for those who may eventually pick this up when it goes deal of the week:

I wouldn't advise following me and picking Jonathon Morris as he is best described as a side character. You have to level grind all his sub weapons to max out his abilities and it takes ages, my sub weapons are on level 5 out of a possible 8 and I've been playing only him all the time I've been playing.

Also, some characters are ultra hard and have impressive powers like Alucard, some can get to places others can't like Shanoa and Charlotte is a healer so when playing with a full squad of 6 people, I felt like the idiot that couldn't do much.

H-diddy wrote:

with a full squad of 6 people, I felt like the idiot that couldn't do much.

Every crack of the whip that connects is a step in the right direction.

After keen deliveration i folded and spent 200,000 gold on the Master Ring and i think its paying dividends. Im definately noticing an increased speed in leveling up my spells, so its just a case of keeping it equiped and varying my spells instead of sticking with good ol' lightining.

Also, playing some levels with some random dudes online yesterday i picked up a different weapon for Shanoa called a Pnuma and its awesome. Its like green fire that sweep at a 45 degree downaward angle and thenruns across the floor for a short distance. Ive read that if you manage to equip two of this your in the realms of kicking some serious behind.

Playing with online randoms has been a pleasure and its not often you can say that, Harmony of Despair (for the most part) has a pretty decent online community. Whilst Hendo was away combining old kebab with frozen pizza i joined a group of 5 randoms and we went through the game twice together, once on Normal then on Hard. They were all so awesome i didnt need to do a great deal if im being honest but i put my two pence in anyway. They must have all been pretty close to maxed out and i was shitting it at Dracula on Hard but they laid him down, held his mouth open and proceeded to give him some serious cock press ups.

Had some great games with Hendo and some randoms aswell, when we finally got a decent team we were awesome.

Heart this game lots.

Edit: H, u seen the Begginners Guide on Gamespot that some dude called BlackJack021 has written? Dunno if this is anything you didnt know by now but he says about Jonathon:

Jonathan can only use the Vampire Killer whip as his weapon. He can learn Martial Arts techniques through scrolls he findds, similar to Alucard; these, however, do not power up as he finds more copies. He starts out being able to guard with the right bumper, halving the damage recieved and stopping most knockback. All his other Martial Arts moves will be done with a button combo followed by the Y button. His Hunter Skill is subweapons, like all the Belmonts use. The dagger, axe, cross, etc. are all there. These do not level up as you find more copies; instead, they level up through use. Throw enough daggers, it will go from level 1 to level 2, and you'll do more damage. Some subweapons change at level 5, usually a bigger weapon or more copies of multi-throw weapons, like the Shuriken, and almost all change at level 9. As your subweapons increase in strength, so to does the power of your whip and your Martial Arts moves, so throw those daggers, people. This applies to subweapons NOT equipped as well, so make sure you use everything at some point.

Yep, I've been mixing my sub weapons around to get some more levelled up. Found a holy cross the other day, shoots a cross away from you and then comes back to you, a bit like the boomerang but no curved path.

I'll probably regret it but I've made a start with Charlotte. There's a good guide on her on Gamefaqs - you use your block button to absorb certain enemies attacks so you can learn and use them yourself. This is how you get the heal move, from the witch.

It's a whole different feel going from Morris to her - her weapon can't be changed and is very weak but her magic points regenerate much quicker.

I found that the ultimate way to use her is to put on the skull ring so her stats all go up but also curses her so she can't use her magic points, but then also give her the Astral ring which means you use hit points when you cast magic. You heal more points than you lose so you can just keep healing.

Probably more use with a team than on your own, but I'm gonna work on her and then I can have a choice of who to pick depending on who is playing as who.

Also, all the hidden objects have now been found. They boost your score.

1. Bell

Chapter 1: In the room with the three bells, slide underneath the lowest one and jump up into it, and the item will drop down to your left.

2. Crown

Chapter 2: On the piano play the following notes, counting from the right: 5 White, 5 Black, 6 White, 5 White, 2 Black, 5 White, 5 Black, 6 Black.

3. Moai

Chapter 3: Wake the boss, let him clear the room, then jump kick through the center of the vortex in the back ground. The Moai will spawn there.

4. Goemon

Chapter 4: On the right hand side of the stage is a small dark alcove jutting out of the wall. Enter it and the item will spawn to your left.

5. Vic Viper

Chapter 5: Enter the top right corner of the right building and tap up. The item will fly across above the building from the right.

6. Konami Man

Chapter 6: Before the final staircase, jump up next to the blue roof and tap up. The item will fly in from the right and just below you.

Bought the Master Ring last night - I could've been on 300,000 now rather than 100,000 so I hope it's worth it.

I've only got the last two chapters to do with Charlotte and I'll have all her spells learned.

I got heal and then tried the trick with the cursed ring but she doesn't heal more than she loses so it's not a good idea. I would suspect that her heal becomes stronger over time or at least you might have a big boost to everything when you've learned all her spells.

She's currently strong enough to take the Normal levels on her own so that's good for me.

I would suspect that her heal becomes stronger over time or at least you might have a big boost to everything when you've learned all her spells.

You have to max out her heal before that trick works, so i read.

Ive got Shanoa's lightning up to Level 8 now and im into the realms of mazing that out now. Got along way to go with the the others but the Master Ring does help. Debating a second one but i want to save a million gold first, then its spend spend spend.

Like i was saying to you last night H, there was a dude playing on my team yesterday who could take Dracula on Hard (difficulty) down on his own. He was a true beast. Whilst we did the level properly, farming for items and kills, he did the boss so we all won. He got bored pretty quick tho and fooked off, leaving us to suck.

I did play one game with four others where i was the most powerfull, which was nice. :)

I'm not entirely sure how or if I level up her spells.

The guide says you have to learn the same spells over and over to level them up but there doesn't seem to be a progress bar in the Offensive gear section. The same graphical bar is there that I have for Jonathon's sub-weapons but it doesn't say that I'm level 1 or whatever.

I would've thought they would level up with use.

I noticed that aswell, i just thought i was missing something or she powers up ridiculously slow. Her fireball spell she has from the off wast too bad, i can only imagine its power once she's leveled up.

I beat Dracula on Normal on my own this morning. There was a time when that seemed impossible but even when he hit me it was only taking 40ish damage. You get a gamer picture and the credits roll. One day i shall repeat this feat on Hard (difficulty). One day.

I tried a bit of this online last night and managed to join a team that stuck around to complete chapters 3,4,5 and 6. I wasnt sure what was going on as every seemed to go and do there own things - on a couple of the levels I didnt even get to the boss and we completed it :) I managed to get a few nice items out of it tho. Moonstone comes in handy as I only tend to play on an evening so my stats have all took a big boost.

How do you level spells up? Is it just through using them? Shanoas three fireball thing doesnt seem to be levelling up very quickly. I've just got a floor lightning thing as well for her.

I did stick around for a hard run through of level 1 and spent the whole level as a jumping skeleton trying to reach people to revive me.

And I hate the loading screen. That stoopid book flicking through its pages. Especially when there is a bit of a laggy connection and you are sat looking at it for a minute. Balls.

How do you level spells up? Is it just through using them? Shanoas three fireball thing doesnt seem to be levelling up very quickly. I've just got a floor lightning thing as well for her.

Constant usage. You dont have to kill someone with a spell, hitting them is enough. Now you've beaten Dracula on Normal you should have unlocked the Master Ring in the Shop but it will set you back 200,000 gold, but this is the key to easy leveling up. Chapter 6 has at least 4000 gold in chests alone and is a good way to grind you magic levels as well. You'll die but its worth it.

That floor lightning thing is Pnuema, its awesome. It lowers your attack but it can hit enemies twice. I spammed Chapter 5 a few times (as Death seems to be the only dude putting out Shanoa weapons) and now have a Pnuema equiped on X and Y for 4 times hit action.

Finished getting all of Charlotte's spells before I left for work. Turns out you do level them up not by doing them a lot but by re-learning them which is a little weird.

Even odder is that Jonathon's take ages to level up but it looks like for Charlotte you just learn them about 9 times each and then you're done. I re-learnt a couple of them and back in the stats screen one whole segment of the spells graphical bar thing was filled up, no level number assigned to it. With Jonathon, it tells you your level and you'll see the green bar go up very slowly.

Played with some serious mutherfunkers last night, we farmed Chapter 6 on Hard about 50 billion times. By the time we were done i had amassed a small fortune, taking me over the million gold mark. So i thought it was time to buy some Master Rings and get some other characters levelled up...

...but you have to finish Normal on each induvidual character to unlock their personal Master Ring in the shop. So i bought an RPG for Soma and started raising merry hell with him. He's quite awesome. His biggest problem is that he's the default character and his defalt weapon is a huge ass cumbersome heavy axe, and thats what maks him so slow. He runs like a paedo in a kids sports day without it.

I was playing with Alucard but the only weapon i have with him that does decent damage is an Etoc which forces him into a sliding, stabbing motion which is perilous when fighting bosses. So ive put him on the back burners and am gonna concentrate on Soma for a bit.

Some weekend action with our new characters H?

I've been tagging along on some Hard Level 6 games too :) Although I tend to wait outside when they fight Dracula. As a result my Shanoa is now a bit faster and a lot harder. Not 'complete hard level 6' hard, but decent enough not to feel like a waste of space in an online game. I also found a glyph to absorb as well - a purple laser type thing.

Its a shame it takes so long for it to be enjoyable - you start of so weak which I expect would put a lot of people off, but as soon as you power up a bit the game really shines.

Some weekend action with our new characters H?

Sure thing, sweetie.

My shift hours are changing yet again so next week I should be around for some games at night.

I went back to grinding up Jonathon before I left for work. It's a depressing difference between how fast Jonathon and Charlotte's magic bar refills. Apparently, none of the stats affect it, though I find that hard to believe.

I've given him a Master Ring but I can't really tell if his sub weapons are levelling up faster. I'd really rather stick with Charlotte to be honest.

I should be playing Lara Croft's Big Bouncy Adventure but this is like crack.