passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Castlevania : Harmony of Despair

illdog

Im despairing alright because im pretty sure no-one else here is going to buy this game and it doesnt really work as a single player. I thought i was doing ok, i got to the boss of the first chapter and was whipping his butt but the floor gave way and we fell for a few seconds before landing in a room full of regular enemies. All together with the boss it was too much. But with other people...

See i took the top route of the castle to get to the boss. If someone else has taken the bottom route they could have cleared out the room full of regular enemies for me. I even passed and elevator with a lever that was designed to bring the player who cleared out said room up to where i was so we could both go into the boss room together. Yes i could do it on my own i suppose but Soma (i havent tried anyone else) moves incredibly slowly and you only have 30 minutes per chapter.

Multiplayer could be great, like seriously great.

Giving the demo a try now, if I pony up you can hit me up later and we'll kick some demon bottom.

I do wonder if this will become awesome after you level up a lot, but everything I've heard so far has been very disappointing.

I genuinely cant see you ponying up the 1200 pts after playing the demo because it feels so piss poor. I hate the way you can only equip health and items when you come across a statue, and i hate how slow Soma was and how slow his axe swings - it all makes for a terrible first impression. Its only when i understood the layout of the castle (after about 40 minutes) i understood the possible genius of multiplayer.

I'm gonna regret it but I've paid up. :(

It might be a big mistake because I was planning on finishing SotN at some point, this might destroy that happening.

On the demo you can only play as Alucard and he's pretty slow, can't see any proper stats for the characters though.

I'm wondering whether to never bother playing single player and only play online, but you have to join lobbies, you don't just drop into other people's games at will.

Tried it on my own, got to the boss and got pretty much destroyed.

I can see this being great with a full roster of people playing for hours, but I can also see this as a humongous grind if you're on your own. I did spend a lot of time going, "Shit, I got a new item, gotta find the book so I can change it". Luckily you keep your gold when you die, I presume you keep your items too (if you haven't equipped them).

Looking in the shop for things to spend money on, I see a few things in each category but none in the weapons tab. I wonder, does that mean you find them later on, or a DLC pack will appear? I'm guessing the latter which would be quite sad.

I've picked Jonathon Morris by the way. Cos he has a whip and he was in Bread.

I tried the trial yesterday and i judt didnt like it. It just moved so sluggish, i found it quicker just to back dash everywhere. And the double jumping too, so many times you just collide in the edge of the platform just so you have to retry the jump.

I like how you can find items and equip them on, but like illdog, i thought it was stupid that you can only do it at a statue n it doesnt appear on the character either.

I really like the idea of it tho, even tho im not a castlevania fan i may consider buying this when its cheaper.

Hold the phone, it's really good in co-op!

Once you start getting better equipment and getting used to the layout of each level it starts getting more enjoyable. The big problem is you feel less inclined to start again when you've got to the boss and then died.

But if there was 5 other people on your friends list who were up for this, it'd be a really good laugh.

I'm gonna grind it out on level 1 again (me and illdizzle couldn't beat the 2nd level boss) and see if I can get my stats higher.

In case you didn't know, you don't level up really, you just find or buy better equipment and that improves your stats.

It's not the disaster I was expecting, but it is a cheap and dirty Castlevania - they've just lifted sections straight out of the DS games.

I found it bloody satisfying just beating the first boss! I sent Hendo down in the lift i mentioned in my first post and then zoomed my camera out so i could guide him through the maze of rooms so he could enter the boss room from the opposite side to me. The dual point attack worked like a treat, ending in the bosses demise from our co-op Dual Strike attack. WIN.

Now if we could only figure out how to beat the turd spider puppet boss... and get 4 more companions..

Im in this for the long haul. *raises power ring*

Me too. *flashes sword*

I've actually been jonesing to play this all day while I've been in work, which doesn't happen very often.

I went back and did the first stage on my own last night, saved a replay and everything. Sadly, I'm the only person on my friends leaderboard.

illdog beat my run through on the first level, I've gone and slapped the gauntlet right back in his face.

Here's my current stats, I seem to have bought everything gear-wise that is as good as it gets for my character. Still no sign of weapons in the shop.

post-62-1281189941342.jpg

My attack and defense are pretty good, not sure about the rest.

I can get to the boss on level 2 every time, very nearly beat him too, problem is when he starts moving you have to get to where he's going before he gets there, because when he does he will bring out a puppet and if you're not there to destroy it then you are guaranteed to lose a massive chunk of energy. One place he moves to, you have to get there before him as otherwise he will block your way to get to his puppet and you'll be doomed.

Hendo and me are fucking warriors. This game is hard but we keep chipping away and getting rewarded.

This really would rule with some more people. In fact, we'd piss all over it.

And H, next time i get 5 minutes im going to open your scores backside and ram.

Me and ill finally beat chapter 2, then mowed through chapter 3 (easy enough when you know how) and then came to a sticky end on chapter 4.

It's a proper Castlevania nut-job's game - loads of bits from levels have just been pulled right out of the games. The 4th chapter is full of portraits, a mirror and the boss is the same one from Portrait of Ruin, the painter guy.

The boss on chapter 3 has been the most impressive so far, he fills the screen and stomps his way through the level, destroying bit of it.

It's a shame it's been ignored as it's a lot of fun with other people.

Also, found these pics posted on Gamefaqs which may or may not be leaked images from DLC, new characters and a new level.

post-62-12812034681661.jpg

post-62-12812034814842.jpg

post-62-1281203502005.jpg

post-62-12812035169117.jpg