passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

[XBLA] Hydro Thunder Hurricane

illdog

I dont like this much.

It feels a bit cheap and tacky for some reason, i can put my finger on why. I think i was expecting Wave Race type fun and because it didnt deliver i got my dissapointed face on and then the wind changed.

The handlings not bad, the graphics are ok. I dunno, i just feel a little uninspired by the whole thing. The tracks are pretty boring, nothing too standoutish. They have a few secret routes here and there but again it doesnt pull it out of averageness.

Online is more fun than the single player just due to the randomness of people. I won my first 6 races in a row, then dropped to 2, 3rd and 4th for about 10 races, then won another 4 in a row before i went to bed. Go me.

thanks for the impressions illdog. opinions on this seem to be really mixed, i've not tried it yet but sort of hoping i hate it as i'm trying to save points for rb3 dlc. i never played the old one but thought the water looked so bland and lifeless compared to waverace.

I downloaded the trial and i thought it was ok

Dont mind the graphics, turning is a bit crap but you get used to it.

All you can do is boost and jump, i thought you could do tricks and damage opponents by driving into them

The best bit about this game is just finidng the shortcuts and going into gear icons to activate ramps.

And in contrast to illdog, I am loving it, took me totally by surprise. I've put more time into the multi than the single player so far, and it's great fun. I've had tons of races, and not once had any lag. Load times are super fast, which makes it great to jump into and have a couple races if you have ten minutes to spare. As spatular said, opinions are all over the place; IGN gave it a 5.5 (and said load times are lengthy, which is utter bollocks), yet harsh EDGE gave it an 8. I'm looking forward to doing more single player now I've had a good blast on the multi, I like the mode where you have to go through all the hoops.

Graphics and sound are right out of the 90's arcades, but it suits the game fine and doesn't make it feel tacky.

I've unlocked both Avatar rewards, which are a tee and a boat prop. :)

BOOOOST.

• 3 weeks later...

Not too fussed about the checkpoint-ring mode or the annoying-explosive-barrel mode, but I am seriously loving the online-multiplayer on this.

Played for an hour last night...

At one point I was in a four-way race - the whole race was so damn close that all four of us crossed the finish line with 3 tenths of a second seperating us!

And then at another point, in a full 8-player race on one of the lap-type tracks, I was having a real dog of a lap on lap 2 and ending up sitting in last place. But then lap 3 turned out to be a 'blinder'! Boosting up a ramp on the 'home-straight', I ended up leap-frogging 3 players into first and winning by .02 seconds!! Oh, how I 'LOL'ed! :D

Truely awesome game!

Picked this up today, so much better than i thought, the trial didnt do much for me.

Never realised it has loads of crazy stuff going on!

Looking at the leaderboards, Tomahwak Rob is pretty much dominating.

I've taken 1st on Paris Sewers & Tsunami Bowl race tho ;)

• 2 months later...

DLC pack out on wednesday:

An official announcement of the downloadable content, dubbed the Tempest Pack, was made via Vector Unit's website on September 21, 2010. Three tracks were announced, Atlantis, Bermuda Triangle, and Castle Von Boom, each with Race, Ring Master and Gauntlet game types. Two new boats will also be included, Whiplash and Psyclone. Vector Unit also announced that each original boat will receive multiple skins, and that special Expert versions of the Novice and Pro boats will be included, allowing players to be competitive with those boats in multiplayer races. The downloadable content will also add three new achievements to the game. The Tempest Pack will be available for download October 27, 2010. Vector Unit stated that if sales of Hydro Thunder Hurricane and the Tempest Pack are high enough there may be additional downloadable content. "We'd love to do more; we have all kinds of ideas for new boats, new tracks, the whole shebang. But the first part of your question hits the nail on the head: it's all about the sales" they stated in reply to a fan's question.

:D Awesome news :D (not that many people on here bought it / still play it)

• 2 months later...

Holy shit, this is awesome! :o

I downloaded it today as it's going for only 400 points plus the DLC pack is 400 points so I got the lot for still less than it's meant to be.

The problem with that is I have no idea in-game which are the original tracks and which are the add-ons. One tip though, if you're going to pick it up and not get the DLC, there's a free pack you should download which let's you play those new tracks with people who have bought it which is a nice touch.

It's proper arcade racing just like mummy Dreamcast used to make, looks brilliant and is mad as a box of frogs. I just played the Area 51 track in multiplayer. :blink:

I'm digging the different modes and the sense of speed, it's not as unwieldy to control as I thought it would be either. Good stuff!

Glad you're enjoying it H! :) The honeymoon feeling I had for it has worn off a fair bit now, but I'd still be up for a few races somewhen, as I've hardly played the DLC stuff... IIRC the extra tracks are Bermuda Triangle, Castle Boom (both of which are mental/awesome) & Atlantis (not so mental).

I'm slowly making my way through the tracks, I seem to be sticking with the Ring levels the most.

One thing I found unusual, certainly you don't find this in other racing games, is that you gain cash for doing events you've already done so you could just grind an early level in order to unlock later ones.

Coming to the game late, I've got a good deal of people of the leaderboards with times to aim for, and they do the Geometry Wars 2 thing of having the nearest rival on the top right.