passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Mysterious Sonic Experiment

Hendo

I'm putting this out there to see if there's any interest.

I've been wanting to do this for ages - one person records a piece of music of just one instrument (most likely in my case a guitar playing chords for about 3 minutes) and then sends it out to everyone else who takes part. They then record something to go with that, could be singing, could be spoken word, rapping, bass, guitar, keys, drum sounds, effects, anything really.

When done they send their part back to the original person who mixes all the parts into a cohesive piece of music. So the people recording have no idea what other people's parts are.

I would guess that Simon might be interested in taking part but I'd hope that a few others would join me.

odly i'd be interested in having a go, although with no prior experience in making songs and stuff, i probably won't be able to send back anything usefull, but i guess it won't matter if there are enough people taking part?

odly i'd be interested in having a go, although with no prior experience in making songs and stuff, i probably won't be able to send back anything usefull, but i guess it won't matter if there are enough people taking part?

The beauty is that as long as you can record something, you can take part. It could be musical or you could just record ambient room or crowd noises, or make a collage of movie quotes.

It's up to whoever starts it to mix it as well so it's not like everything you put forward will get used but at least some of it will.

Hopefully my plug-in for the phone will turn up in the next couple of days, in the meantime I'll have a think of what to record.

Hmm, I just plugged my tonelab into the PC but I cannot get it to record what I am playing. I am having to play on the sound recorder too, as audacity has decided to go tits up on me for reasons unknown. <_<

audacitybuggered.png

I'm not really sure how to get around this, I have recorded stuff straight into the mic before but the sound quality isn't that great. Saying that, I have the rock band mic now and from listening to podcasts recorded on them they seem to have a good sound quality. Not sure what to do with audacity, I was planning to put Hendo bit in there then edit my shit onto it then pass it on so people could edit their stuff on top of it. Might have to give it a redownload and see what the dealio is after that.

On a side note, I misspelt Hendo and the spell checker suggested Herod. Are you a baby killer Hendo?

i've been looking around for some free audio editing software type stuff:

http://download.cnet.com/Anvil-Studio/3000-2170_4-10018271.html?tag=bc

http://download.cnet.com/HammerHead-Rhythm-Station/3000-2170_4-10027874.html

http://download.cnet.com/MadTracker/3000-2170_4-10393372.html

http://download.cnet.com/DarkWave-Studio/3000-2170_4-10869286.html?tag=mncol

not tried any of it yet so can't say if its any good (and even when i do try them i'm not sure i'll be able to tell if they're any good...). would be interested if anyone can recommend anything like this too?

I was planning to put Hendo bit in there then edit my shit onto it then pass it on so people could edit their stuff on top of it. Might have to give it a redownload and see what the dealio is after that.

On a side note, I misspelt Hendo and the spell checker suggested Herod. Are you a baby killer Hendo?

My original plan was to have everyone pass on their mixed contribution on to the next person and build a track up like that, but in the end I figured it might get messy, so I'm going with everyone only hears the starting track and their recording. Still might do the "build up a track" idea eventually but we'll see how this pans out first.

I've got a beat and chord sequence worked out, just need to record it and then I can send it to everyone who's in on the track. What instruments are people planning recording?

It's flaky but if you can get Audacity working alright, you should be ok putting a headset near an amp and recording if you can't plug straight in.

And yes, I eat babies for breakfast.

I've got a beat and chord sequence worked out, just need to record it and then I can send it to everyone who's in on the track. What instruments are people planning recording?

And yes, I eat babies for breakfast.

"Yes hello, popular character King Herod here..."

Probably guitar for me, I'm either going to restring my electric so i can use me effects pedal, or go acoustic. However depending on what I hear I might do some vocals or maybe even fanny about on the computer

can I suggest someone dig Electroplankton out?

Apologies for taking so long, I've been waiting on my jack plug-in for my phone, it's here and it works!

I'll be PM'ing the following with the track and instructions:

Ben, Chin, Sly, spatular

If anyone else wants in, let me know.

No idea, the one I'm running now has some new features. I would install the new one and see what happens when you try to export an mp3. It's not a massive hassle to get the exporter working though.

OK, I got Audacity working, but I can't fucking record off my USB mic. Even when I set it to default it won't have none of it. It plays through the USB however, and I can record through the jacks. It sounds awful though, lots of hiss.

EDIT: Works fine in sound recorder, I have no idea WTF is going on.