passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Blizzard require real names on forums

Hendo

Thought this was quite funny whilst also a little disturbing.

Recently, we introduced our new Real ID feature http://eu.battle.net/realid/, a new way to stay connected with your friends on the new Battle.net. Today, we wanted to give you a heads up about our plans for Real ID on our official forums, discuss the design philosophy behind the changes we’re making, and give you a first look at some of the new features we’re adding to the forums to help improve the quality of conversations and make the forums an even more enjoyable place for players to visit.

The first and most significant change is that in the near future, anyone posting or replying to a post on official Blizzard forums will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name -- with the option to also display the name of their primary in-game character alongside it. These changes will go into effect on all StarCraft II forums with the launch of the new community site prior to the July 27 release of the game, with the World of Warcraft site and forums following suit near the launch of Cataclysm. Certain classic forums, including the classic Battle.net forums, will remain unchanged.

To prove the point, the Community Manager posted his real name and then I'm sure he must've regretted it.

Click for what they found.

people on the internet can be pretty evil, i'd guess that's what blizzard are trying to address - less anonimity (not completely sure thats the right word) might make them think more about their actions...although its probably (certainly?) doomed to failure. i wouldn't want to give my real/full name on a public forum.