passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

illdog

If you didnt like the one before then you wont like this.

If you liked the one before then you'll love this, miss the cell shaded graphics but appreciate how much they've tightened the controls. Truly the Prince has never moved so freely. Wall runs are executed at almost any angle as long as your vaguely pushing in the right direction and pole hoping is simply pushing in the direction of the next obstacle and pressing jump - he does the rest himself.

The hook of the game is an impressive one - the use of water. Holding the L button freezes time and makes water solid, meaning you can swing from jets of water from the walls and climb springs that burst from the ground. Some of the way Ubi have implemented the water as platforming puzzles is nothing short of genius and in turn makes you feel like one when you flawlessly cross a tricky looking cavern.

The R button is your run/climb button so at times your playing with both Triggers held down and it takes a few goes to get used too.

I wish it had the graphical style of the previous effort, this one with its 'real' people comes over a little wooden, but to be fair with the platforming so good its not really an issue.

Ive just done a really impressive section in The Observatory but i had to stop and come to work, but all i wanna do is play this. Brilliant stuff so far.

I wish it had the graphical style of the previous effort, this one with its 'real' people comes over a little wooden, but to be fair with the platforming so good its not really an issue.

I watched the quick-look video of the first few levels from Giantbomb.com and it could've been the video quality, but it looked quite rough.

I did love Sands of Time though so I might pick it up when it goes super cheap.

Do you fight in this one or does it play out more like heavy rain?

Yeah there is fighting, its the part of the game thats getting knocked by the critics due to it being button bashing but ive enjoyed it so far. You fight pretty big waves of the undead, about 20 or so at a time and its good fun. The Prince has a few moves at his disbosal, plus some magic.

I saw the GiantBomb thing, the platforming and stuff looks like last gen PoP which is good in my books, but the combat looked a bit crap, sub God of War. I'd maybe pick this up but seeing it just made me want to go back to Sands of Time again rather than popping to the shops for this.

You should definately pick it up, its a great addition to the series.

I think im on the last bit now, its been fucking immense plaforming action and im still enjoying the combat. The only downside is the palace traps in the corridors, they are awful with the big swinging spikey logs and buzzsaws on the walls and spikes on the floor. Also, a few of the checkpoints ask you to do one to many things every now and again but not enough to ruin the game in anyway.

Doest feel like ive been playing too long but ive put in a few long sessions so im rekon im clocking at least ten hours.

I finished this on Sunday morning - fucking superb game. Getting to the last boss was cool in a simple gameplay for maximum cinematic effect sort of way, the boss was a peice of piss too. And it all ends rather abrubtly as well, may as well hold up a sign saying "See you in the next game".

Unfortunately for me, ive encoutered a bug. Good old Ubisoft. Its not a gamebreaker but its fucking annoying. When you start a new game you get to carry over all your stats. I was going to go through again with my super powered Prince and mop up the last achievements you see. But the idiots at Ubi (probably rushing to get a release co-inciding with the film) have left a bug in which resets your stats randomly which has wiped out an entire play through's worth of experience points. Im going to finish my second play through and locate all the hidden Sarcophagi just for fun but a bug that big thats so easily detectable is unforgivable. And upon Googling the problem im not alone.

When this goes sub £20, I'm getting it right there and then. I'm really glad you've enjoyed it illdog, and that there's some proper challenging platforming in place.

Ubisoft have re-released the PS2 Sands of Time and very cheekily used the same artwork as Forgotten Sands. :lol:

500x_popbox2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well it went sub-£20, and true to my word, I bought it. Loving it so far, I'm about two and a half hours in. The controls are super tight as illdog mentioned, I love a bit of Persia platforming and the combat itself is also pretty good fun. The rooms and sections all blend together really nicely, which does mean it's hard to stop playing because as soon as you think you're going to switch off, you're merged into another ace puzzler section or combat scenario. Good stuff so far.

• 5 months later...

I think i'm going to disagree with ill a little bit on this. He said that you'd need to like the last one, which I did, but for me this bounces back to Sands of Time about as faithfully as anyone could. The problem with that is it feels like a reboot to such an extent that when the prince starts mentioning Farah it feels out of place.

I'm enjoying things though, and it's got that Sands of Time 'just one more bit' thing going on. The puzzles tax your brain just right, although they've not got as difficult as I was expecting. That said timing the water magic is keeping it interesting, and having it slightly too easy is probably preferable to frustration.

I kind of agree with Hendo about the game not looking all that. It does look good for the most part, but the prince looks surprisingly rough considering the effects and environment.

• 8 years later...
On 24/05/2010 at 11:13, illdog said:

Im going to finish my second play through and locate all the hidden Sarcophagi

9 years later I'm back at it. It's backwards compatible so I'm playing though on the Xbox One and really enjoying it all ov er again. It has aged a little but once you get used to the controls the platforming is fantastic.