passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dr Who

Hendo

Ten Little Aliens

So if you've heard of, seen or read Starship Troopers - The gritty future wars of the Roughnecks, I'm sure you've often wondered 'What this often ultra violent setting really needs, is the 1st Doctor, the least physically capable of all the Doctors. Plus his swinging 60's companions, Ben & Polly'.

Your wish has been granted!

This book is really good. The story initially plays out very seriously, with the pitch black tone naturally associated with war. Then along comes the Tardis, with a crew that couldn't be a more stark contrast to their surroundings. I must admit, initially I wasn't very familiar with Ben & Polly. So when Ben first spoke, I got read Austin Powers from his dialogue. Further into the book however, his own voice became more apparent. The Tardis crew are all pitch perfect here. Every gesture and dialogue from the 1st Doctor instantly brings Hartnell to mind. The Space Marines are all engaging and noteworthy characters too. Although some, like Frog and Creben, took me a little longer to visualise. 

For me though, the highlight of the book came in the final third. Wherein the format is upended and what follows plays out exactly like a 'choose your own adventure' novel. Very Livingstone and Jackson. Although somewhat brief, this section is very entertaining. Highly recommended 8/10

• 2 weeks later...

So I was watching 'Turn Left' the other day. One of the few highlights of the 10th Doctor run (not a fan of Tennant). It got me thinking about a similar set up for Classic Who. A point in time wherein an altered decision that would have changed everything. I settled on that moment belonging to the 2nd Doctor. Within his final tale, The War Games.

After calling on Gallifrey for aid, The Doctor, Jamie (best Classic companion) and Victoria are making a run for the Tardis when the Time Lords make their presence known.

DnKILwpWsAEIx80.jpg

They don't make it.

The companions are sent back to their own times. Their memories of adventures with The Doctor erased and The Doctor is forced to regenerate. Meanwhile exiled to Earth, with his understanding of the Tardis, similarly removed.

But, what if they made it and escaped? I can't even begin to calculate how much of The Doctor and Earth's timeline would have been fundamentally changed. No 3rd Doctor to assist UNIT or thwart The Master. Maybe no 4th, 5th or any of the others??

Of course that is my own bit of wondering. As stated my knowledge of 3rd to 5th Doctor is minimal. So there may have been other significant moments in their runs I don't know about?

• 1 month later...

I've been a little remiss in what I've been reading/seeing lately. I blame it on the weather. Regardless...

DW.jpg

The second Doctor Who book, done. While the dialogue is on point and the author definitely has nailed the speech and mannerisms of the Tennant's Doctor, I found this book the lesser of the two so far. Ten Little Aliens was different, experimental in places and certainly wouldn't have been a regular episode of the 60's era. Whereas this book felt like just another 10th Doctor Dalek story. The only real difference is the Daleks are allowed be more of a merciless threat, than is typically allowed in Nu Who. Although unconnected by author, era etc. There are a lot of structural similarities between this and TLA. I think this detracts from this book, while at the same time, highlights that they may have been aimed at different age groups altogether? Overall it is a decent story and it certainly ticks a lot of the Tennant/RTD era tropes. Which I think works against this book. 6.5/10

Next up an anthology book - Short Trips. Before I begin the search for some recommended 9th Doctor books, in light of the recent news...

• 4 weeks later...

During my 'No Internet' spell, I did finally get around to listening to this:

large.jpg

So what do you think happens when the Cybermen arrive on Earth, in secret and The Doctor is not present?

That is the general premise of this series and it plays out very well. A slight nitpick of Series 1 is the voice of the Cybermen themselves. They use the more robotic latter Classic Cyberman voice, which is pretty hard to follow through an audio only medium. That and the Cyber Controller sounds very similar. So their shared scenes it is difficult to tell them apart.

Series 2 solves this by giving the default Cybermen the Mondasian voice. A lot better, in my opinion and far easier to follow. We have a tension political drama which leads into something more bleak as the series continues. The story is told very well with no real weak links in the voice cast either. Obviously I love the Cybermen, so I recommend this highly. If you're not as much a fan of them, I still would. 9/10

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Christmas special was pants....some great little bits but sums up the 13th doctors tenure, it isn’t Jodie or the cast, it’s the writing is just terrible...I’ve rewatched some of the series and on a second view it’s not too bad but just not as good as the others. 

The TARDIS surrounded by Darleks was cool, all of them charging in was great to watch on tv, perhaps I’m getting too old for dr who? It’s just not as good as it was. 

That was probably the lamest Dalek story I think I've seen?

The feared scourge of the universe is defeated and outsmarted easier than a lone Cyberman in the last arc of Season 12? I'd agree the writing is awful. Plus the focal point for the episode was literally the most bland and uncharismatic companion in this run. I heard an extra scene was added in last minute, I had hoped it would be Yaz leaving too. An all new set of companions are needed. Better writing too, but the former is easier to fix.

Last year about this time I went on holiday to Tenerife, I didn’t know they had filmed an episode there, can’t remember if I posted this here, but I took some pictures of this amazing building, then the weekend it was on Who! 

It’s a very cool building, there version of the Sydney opera house. Not very often i visit somewhere I see on tv!

AD4156A7-FD8D-412D-BF17-2D34FC678A39.jpeg

CC5F4E16-98F5-4A54-9889-3E3E806ED96A.jpeg

Breaking News...?

Jodie Whittaker will quit Doctor Who at the end of the next series, according to reports. 

Whittaker - who was the first woman to take on the role and has played the Time Lord since 2017 - told BBC bosses that she will not return after the forthcoming new season, according to the Daily Mirror.

It means she would follow in the footsteps of predecessors including Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi by stepping down after three series. 

Filming for the 13th season is said to have begun but it is not yet known when it will be aired. A source told the publication: “It’s all very hush-hush but it is known on set that Jodie is leaving and they are gearing up for a regeneration. 

“Her departure is top secret but at some point over the coming months the arrival of the 14th Doctor will need to be filmed. It’s very exciting.”

It has been suggested that the actor - who has also starred in Broadchurch and Black Mirror - is keen to work on other projects.

Whittaker’s representatives have been approached for comment. The BBC said it would not be “commenting on any speculation around Jodie’s future on the show.”

Yeah, given who led with the story, I not 100% sold it is more than rumour. 

As for who will come next (no pun intended) the favourite is Kris Marshall. Although I thought he was before Whitaker was announced? But everyone from David Michell to Russell Tovey is also in the running at this point.

• 1 month later...

MSTR.jpg

MSTR2.jpg

So, this turned up today. A delayed pre-order. 2021 Marking 50 years since Terror of the Autons. Ironically, Delgado's Master is the only one I still haven't seen. As I still have a gap of 3rd to 5th Doctor in my Who knowledge. But this, I very much look forward to.

• 1 month later...

Young Doctors | Doctor who funny, Doctor who tardis, Doctor who art

This amusing picture popped up on social media the other day. Some of them clearly didn't changed much at all, from their youth. While others (Peter Davison ?) changed quite a bit.

4 minutes ago, shinymcshine said:

I'd have never guess the relevant photo was Sylvester McCoy either !

Definitely. I had to do a double take on both McCoy and Davison. Meanwhile Capaldi reminds me of someone from my Secondary School?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...