Sign in to follow this  
Hendo

Dr Who

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

My understanding though is that there's no narrative reason why he can't change sex/gender, one of the other time lords already has 

This is the bit that makes it so funny to me. I've honestly never watched an episode in my life, so I obviously don't have the attachment that some people do, but you can't suddenly say this genderless, shape-shifting alien now suddenly MUST be a man. I mean, the series is only 40 years old, and out of 13 doctors, this is the first woman. It's not like they're going with an all-female cast, they're just putting a spin on the formula. Or pandering, depending on how you see it (and tbf, it's the BBC, it probably is pandering rather than done for narrative purposes).

The other argument I've heard is 'what's next, Jane Bond?' fucking, YES! Give me a Jane Bond, I'd watch the shit out of that just to see the way they write her into/out of the situations James Bond gets into.

You see that's my issue. Why Jane Bond? We saying women need an already established proven character to prop them up? It's weak. It's lazy and slightly disrespectful on the original creators character. 

To me once a character is penned - that's the character. Maybe slight tweaks for artistic purposes. If I create a popular character I wouldn't want someone bastardising for panderings sake.

In comics it's slightly different as they're usually alongside other characters or following in their footsteps. I'm fine with that. 

I dunno. Call me old fashioned or stubborn but I like to think there's enough female talent to create original characters that I can read/watch. I'd much rather a whole new female spy with their own vision than a rehashing of Bond/Batman/Holmes/Robin Hood et al  :mellow:

@DifferentClassI think if you're fundamentally altering the characters motivation it's a problem. I'd read it as a one off thing, it'd be interesting, but it's not Bruce Wayne's story. Having a black batman isn't a problem though, same when they did it with Spiderman, it just needs a new origin story (probably not for Spiderman tbf) 

@regemonda female Bond, given his character,  would be interesting, but not Bond. Probably says more about society than the character mind 

The thing about Bond as an example is that Ian Fleming's Bond and all the movie interpretations have had different tones and narrative priorities so they never hold true to the original creator's vision after a long time has passed.  Having an interpretation of Bond as a woman shouldn't be that much of a jump.

Stories are a reflection of our time and we are having something of a lady boom at the moment.  Wonder Woman is doing really well and original stuff is making it's mark with things like The Hunger Games as well (I'm probably missing better examples) so it's not like we're just getting lady versions of dude characters.

But I wouldn't be against that as well.  Bond is a malleable character as we've seen already.  Roger Moore's Bond is not the same as Timothy Dalton's so I don't see why that could be extended further to have say Anne Hathaway (brief casting idea) as Bond.

And also I think why having established characters recast and reinterpreted in different genders / races / etc is because it gives a power fantasy to someone else since that's what a lot of these characters we're talking about are.  It's not just a a woman can be a spy; it's that a woman can be James fucking Bond.

I mean, why keep it around if you can't mess with it?

With characters that old like Bond or Holmes they've naturally had some shaping and tonal shifts but essentially held onto the same ideals that established the character. Even there some of the changes I haven't liked or I don't think worked. 

It's like all these cries about female Batman or whatever rather than explore the catalogue that's there or invent new ones. I've said for years characters like Harley would be good to explore. They do a piece of good casting and a great performance from Margot Robbie and whaddya know - a popular female character cropping up in fancy dress everywhere and getting her own spin off.

Women don't need that male power Fantasy. They can carve their own path.