passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dr Who

Hendo

Wow, no topic for this?

I'm not the biggest fan but I can sit and watch through an episode and enjoy it. I grew up with the show but skipped Sylvester McCoy, McGann and Eccleston, watched some of Tennant's episodes and have now watched all 3 of the new ones so far. Brilliant stuff. :)

There's also games being made by Sumo Digital and Charles Cecil (he did Broken Sword) and they'll be free and intertwined with the series.

Anyone else watching?

A lot of the stuff i dont like about Dr who was down to RTD. No disrespect to the man, I just didnt like the kiddie campness of it all. I've seen 2 of this series shows, the first one was ok-ish until they saw the monster (man and dog) then it went a bit stupid, but it was basically just to set up for the new Dr anyway. The second one had its moments, I can imagine the same story last series being quite different in tone.

The third ep (theyre all on iplayer) looked stupid, and started off stupid so i turned off. But i think the plot actually picks up from what i heard.

It was easier when i just didnt like Dr who

Never liked Doctor Who, couldnt get into it, i can watch it if i force myself too but i rather not. I think Tennant was the best Doctor tho but he did pull extremely stupid faces all the time.

I think the new Doctor looks like a fag, watched one of the new ones, wasnt even that inreresting, i cant even remember what it was about anymore! The only reason to watch it is probably that new sidekick of this.

The third ep (theyre all on iplayer) looked stupid, and started off stupid so i turned off. But i think the plot actually picks up from what i heard.

It gets weird when they have 10 minutes and make fighter planes that can fly in space.

I've been watching Doctor Who since I was a wee lad (and that's quite some time). I started on John Pertwee, and have followed it ever since. I loved the remade new series. Eccleston was good, Tennant was great. I'm still not sold on this new one though. Don't get me wrong, his acting as pretty good, and he obviously puts a lot of energy into the role. My problem is he looks too young to be a Time Lord. I know that's ludicrous, seeing as a Time Lord can regenerate into practically anything, but that's my problem.

Also WTF! Redesigned Daleks! Daleks have looked more or less the same since they were first created on Skaro. There have been variations on the theme.

SpecialWeaponsDalek.jpg

Special Weapons Dalek

But mostly, the design has been unchanged for 40 odd years. Or 600 years in the story.

56525494.jpg

These look like plastic molded cheap toys.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Doctor Who, but I watch it if I'm stuck for something to do. The recent episode didn't do much for me, it was a little too cartoony, though I did enjoy last weeks.

I'm don't have a Doctor preference, but this new dude is very Tennant-like, but he did get some of his quirky-ness from Eccleston.. and I imagine he got it from the older Doctors.. basically, I think they're all very similar.

A lot of the stuff i dont like about Dr who was down to RTD. No disrespect to the man, I just didnt like the kiddie campness of it all.

Agree totally, I kinda quite like it but it feels so much like a wasted opportunity when the stories have no imagination, they just put the Doctor/companion in some kind of peril and use shit techno-babble (or worse yet the sonic screwdriver) to get them out of it. The whole time-travel element seems to be largely disregarded ("I only have twenty minutes!!" - no you don't, Doctor, you have a freaking time machine, just go back in time, genius. Take your time. Put the kettle on.) in favour of massively improbable alien beings and bad CGI.

I could go on but meh, rant over.

The whole time-travel element seems to be largely disregarded ("I only have twenty minutes!!" - no you don't, Doctor, you have a freaking time machine, just go back in time, genius. Take your time. Put the kettle on.) in favour of massively improbable alien beings and bad CGI.

I asked my mate about this while we were watching it, "if he's just fucked everything up, why doesn't he just go back before he arrived and not say what he said?" and he reckons the time-travel thing has been planned so he can't go back and interfere with his own timeline. Or something. :unsure:

The Dr does have a habit of landing precisely as the shit's about to hit the fan, it's never 6 months from a potential disaster that can be solved by just nipping something in the bud before it kicks off. Granted that wouldn't be terribly exciting.

I liked the idea of the Bad Wolf thing, (unless that was Torchwood?) something that ran through the series. If they'd done that a bit better rather than just dumping it all in the end episodes. You can still have the one shot stuff, but throw in 5 minutes of reveal about the bigger story, or even the odd episode focused on that. I think that could be a good move, get off the same formula before it gets tired (it's already a bit tired)

• 2 weeks later...

The Dr does have a habit of landing precisely as the shit's about to hit the fan, it's never 6 months from a potential disaster that can be solved by just nipping something in the bud before it kicks off. Granted that wouldn't be terribly exciting.

I believe there's something about the TARDIS having a 'sense' and always goes where there's a problem.

The new series has been excellent so far. The one with the return of the weeping angels last week was brilliant. And Matt Smith, the dude everyone slagged off when he was cast, is just owning that role, IMO. His mannerisms, temper and humour are all excellent. It's interesting you say that about him, Cyberpunk. I think despite being really young, he just screams old to me. Maybe it's the clothes he wears, but I think that his face just looks alien.

Good riddance to RTD for the most part, I would say.

Those new Daleks , i couldn't work out, are they Power Ranger daleks? or Smart Car Daleks??

As for the new Doc, im not sure well not yet, although i grew up with the series used to watch the replays on UK-GOLD right through to the new stuff, its all good! and getting better, but i do prefer Torchwood.

I said before that they should have a continuous story arc running through, and it looks like theyve got that this time. I wasnt sure about how quickly the new girl fell for the doctor, and was willing to cheat on her fiancée, but aside from that this weeks was another good episode

i do prefer Torchwood.

poofter ey?

I've never seen Dr Who until this new series and so far I'm really enjoying it. I think they need to fuck the Daleks off though. As far as bad guys go they're pretty shit. I know they are part of Who legend and stuff, but seriously.

Also, it seem to reliant on the Sonic Screwdriver to get him out of pretty much every situation.

Found it. :)

I'm quite willing to believe that she's quick to fall for him because she's dreamt about him since she was little.

Having said that, haven't watched last night's episode yet, might watch it later.

Watched this last night, it was really good stuff.

As someone else mentioned, I like the fact that there's a continuing story going on.

I found out the other day that the one a couple of weeks back with the Daleks set in World War II was written by Mark Gatiss, him from League of Gentlemen.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone see Saturday's episode?

Was really good I thought, nice story, great dialogue, plus it was written by the guy who wrote Men Behaving Badly, so it's not as if he's a sci-fi regular. Nice hints into the Doctor's psyche as well, kind of like Valeyard.

Really loving this series so far, and Matt Smith is just awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched a few more now and I've gotta say the boy is really good, maybe my favourite of all the Doctors. The chemistry between him and ginge is spot on. I'd say the writing has improved quite a bit too; the plots are still pretty sketchy but the dialogue is pleasantly uncringeworthy.

Also she's from Inverness, not far up the road from where I'm from. So yeah, don't mess.