passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Giant Bomb Mega Thread

David

GOTY podcasts and videos start from 6pm UK time. It's nearly time to hear Abby whine a lot and Jeff and Dan make sure RDR2 doesn't get on the top ten.

The biggest question is which will win "hottest mess"? Most likely a fight between The Quiet Man and Fallout 76.

Guaranteed top ten places I would say:

God of War

Spider-Man

Celeste

Tetris Effect

Dead Cells

Into The Breach

Monster Hunter World

Possibly:

Forza Horizon 4

Hitman 2

Call of Duty : Black Ops 4

Any of those top 7 have a lot of support from everyone taking part.

Apart from Red Dead 2 are there many other games this year where story spoilers are a thing? I want to make sure I don’t ruin any games for myself but Read Dead 2 is the only game I can think of this year where spoilers could really apply. 

Any story heavy games or games with big gameplay twists I should be aware of (Without telling me what they if possible)

God of War has a lot of story stuff that I would consider spoilers and wouldn’t want people to go in already knowing.

Spider-Man maybe? And maybe the newest Assassin’s Creed does some interesting story stuff, I don’t know.

On topic, they’ve completely changed how they do their discussions and it might end up making it better. Or maybe just longer.

I'm only half way through but this new format seems a bit boring. Maybe it's worth it to set up the rest of the podcasts, but so far it's just them justifying the games they like without any real meat 

Also best debut makes no sense. I assumed it was best first game from a developer but Into The Breach is getting in there 

Edit: just got to the Sea of Thieves talk, that's what this needs more of imo

I think Best Debut has always been about a new series, rather than a new developer.

In theory this should make it easier, but Abby has already made it clear she’s gonna fight for Moss to go top 10, which seems a bit unrealistic.

I will say it’s been easier for me to watch it rather than listen as the games are titled on the video so it’s easier to skip forward for whatever reason.

While I don't fully agree with all her arguments I feel sad Abby has to be so apprehensive when broaching the subject of female characters in nu-GoW. The backlash for talking on gender in games is so out of step with anything else

She's not even that wrong about GoW really. Like not all her arguments were super well articulated or nuanced but she's at least developed a bit more of a voice over last year's podcasts.

Anyway I'm just picking the bits in the podcasts where they talk about games I'm interested in. The podcasts last year were too long and difficult and boring to get through. Hearing them throw down on GoW and Red dead II for an hour or so is all I'm here for really.

I think she was very wrong about the mother of BOY, as that character is not at all what she described her as. I would go further but, y'know, spoilers. Anyone who's heard that section and finished the game should know what I'm talking about.

I also disagree with their joint opinions on the other main female character, as I bought how that character's path went.

It's not even a question of right or wrong really, it's just a bummer reading a comment section where it's full of people dumping on someone for having that problem with the game

Cause on the one hand I did not have these narrative issues with it and I can see a GoW sequel where they completely justify the approach taken here. Like I am specifically thinking of a major way they can do that which is

Spoiler

You play as Kratos' wife in a future game cause she is the original owner of the axe and also Norse myrh works in a kind of timeline cycle so it doesn't even have to be a prequel

I also generally dislike the whole notion of "tropes" and how it feels almost specifically used to disallow certain narrative devices cause they might be cliche. Like can we never tell a story now where a woman's death is a vehicle to move the plot? Cause then you're just going to push people into leaning on other "tropes" and it just sort of goes on and on and anyway tvtropes.com has listed every single fucking thing as a "trope" now can someone shut down that site or something please

But it's just there's this cadre of shitty people who are dedicated to making it as uncomfortable for people as possible to express that kind of take on a game that makes me feel bad. But not when someone says the combat feedback feels poor or whatever. Where you pop into the YouTube section for that video and it's full of people dumping on one of these things and hardly anything else.

There's an irony to this comment I realise but I hope it makes some sense anyway

I just felt a bit uncomfortable when that came up, and my reaction was mirrored by the others. Maybe they were thinking the same as me, like, "really?".

Or maybe they felt uncomfortable because she was the only woman and therefore their opinions weren't as valid. But definitely watching that bit was awkward.

God of War has definitely had problems in the past of women only being there to be something that Kratos either fucks or kills, but I wouldn't say that of this one. Lots of depth in both the main female characters. Lack of female characters you could argue, but really there's only about 6 characters of note in that game anyway, outside of Kratos and BOY.

The criticisms Abby had aren't that uncommon.  It is a story of dads and boys primarily and there is nothing wrong with that, it just will draw certain criticisms when someone is discussing why it may not be their favourite game since they aren't relating to it as strongly. 

If anything I was surprised just how tone deaf everyone else was.