passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Giant Bomb Mega Thread

David

No sale.

I'd be happy winging them some cash, depending on what price it'll be.

The video content alone is keeping my attention (always checking to see what the latest Quick Look is) and the podcast is one of my favourites.

But most of all I appreciate their business plan of keeping the site as is for free and coming up with some more features if you're willing to pay (like PSN+) and that they're trying that route rather than go ad crazy.

I'd definitely be willing to pay, especially for the HD video. Unless they want to go ad overload, Whiskey is going to have to make some money eventually. They've went like 2 years without any advertising at all.

They're going the right way about the subs as well, locking people out of content is just a massive turnoff. Over at IGN it's horrible, or at least used to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Stolen from Gaf

Giantbomb Membership

Free

Access our suite of premium Web Sites

Limited profile abilities

Monthly - 4.95

HD Video

Premium profile features and content

HTML 5 based mobile site

Exclusive Friday live show

Yearly - 49.95

Everything in the monthly

No Ads

A custom T-shirt

10$ in savings

the bombcast is now being cut into two parts...same amount of time, but just categorized into two parts.

the full two hours will only be available to subscribers, HOWEVER, that first hour will still be free to everyone.

in that first week, that full two hours of the bombcast will only be available to members. However, that following week, we will make that free to everyone. yes, that 2nd hour will be put up.

I'm guessing they didnt like the reaction to that news because then this was posted

Originally Posted by whiskeymedia: If we get 5,000 subscribers by 10amPST on 9/10, the Bombcast goes free for everyone. Forever. Deal?

http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia/status/23978756807

Originally Posted by whiskeymedia: Meaning if we get 5k people to sign up for paid membership, we will not split the Bombcast. Think of it as 5k sponsors.

I'm not going to pay for Giant Bomb. I can't think of any site I'd pay for. And while I do still like the podcast, I find myself at odds with them (Gertman & Davies anyway) often enough that I wouldn't lose too much sleep over stopping listening

I'm not averse to paying or donating a little for something I really like (I've already done it with a few sites over the years), but I'm not a regular enough user of the Giant Bomb site to be worthwhile for me. They've got a lot of interesting social networking and community stuff on there that might be worth it if you're into that stuff.

The cutting the podcast in half proposal is somewhat against their stated intention of not locking people out of content, even if it's only for a limited period. That said, I could live without the new releases and emails segments if I had to.

I'm reading Ryan's Twitter feed - he's getting a lot of shit, but this is a shitty way of making money.

It did give me ideas of how (after an intial investment and set-up) you could scrape a living with a band. Not dodgy like cutting content though.

Trudat. I've just watched them play Space Oddity from Rock Band 3.

I listened to the membership explanation podcast today, and the restriction of the podcast just seems real bizarre. Still, it looks like they'll get 5000 subscribers so it will probably end up being a non-issue. It would have been better if they didn't suggest it in the first place, though.

last thing ive read they're on 4.4k (with 3 hours left, less now). There seems to be a feeling they're going to magically hit 5K and everything is going to be ok again.

Be interesting if they get, say 4.8k, see what they do.

The whole thing's bullshit, as was their kinnect/harmonix/sony move 7 hour infomercial last night

The latest is that they're extending the deadline until the 15th. Apparently that's payday for most americans :unsure: also they dont have paypal running yet, but will by then

http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia/status/24119857736

I'm willing to bet they'll get enough subscriptions by then, I also think this is a way for whisky media to back down and save some face

A guy on rllmuk has actually put forward a good argument for charging for podcasts.

I've done a number of internet community projects, and had various roles in organising and producing content and other "stuff". What consumer side of the community rarely realises is the amount of time, effort and motivation it takes to produce good stuff at regular intervals. What started off as an enthusiastic bunch of people talking about something they love can pretty soon start feeling like hard work, particularly when critics often shout louder than those giving praise or thanks.

So if people have taken the time to build a strong podcast, with good people (and possibly guests), with good quality production, structure, and material.... damn right they should feel free to charge for it. If nothing else, the fact that people have a subscription to the content (or are paying per download) means that there's a reason to get in your car (or on Skype), do the prep, carve out a few hours of your week, and give the listeners what they want.

If the GFW guys had kept momentum, got a recording setup (probably through Robert Ashley), and set up the Jeff+Shawn+Robert+Anthony+Guests podcast, I'd quite happily pay US$5 a month to listen to a couple of hours' content. And I think they would have got thousands of subscribers.

I noticed that GamerDork has recently (many months now, but still recent-ish) joined a media network, and these things can be OK, claiming to provide some support through advertising, content, publicity, hosting etc. Not saying UGN is the same, but I personally never got anything out of this type of deal and it actually just distracted from the main things we were trying to achieve.

It is crazy that we've become used to getting stuff for free that in previous times would've been paid for or bombarded with ads.

GB had the choice of go with sponsors, fill the place full of ads or make a premium version of the site paid by the fans - I'm glad they went with the latter, though I still think splitting the podcast into two is a pretty cynical move.