passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Giant Bomb Mega Thread

David

The nextlander stuff isn't doing it for me so I'm cancelling this month, I kinda figured when these guys left GB there was a sense of burnout with the industry and I don't feel much differently with their new venture unfortunately.

I'm watching waypoint streams a lot more now, their Resident Evil playthrough was pretty good., Rob playing it for the first time, the kind of content I miss from old GB

8 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The nextlander stuff isn't doing it for me so I'm cancelling this month, I kinda figured when these guys left GB there was a sense of burnout with the industry and I don't feel much differently with their new venture unfortunately.

I'm watching waypoint streams a lot more now, their Resident Evil playthrough was pretty good., Rob playing it for the first time, the kind of content I miss from old GB

I've been watching a lot of Waypoint too. Did I miss them finishing Resident Evil? The last episode of it I've seen of it was about a week ago

I'm liking Nextlander, but I could do without them playing FMV stuff. FMV stuff working seems like a happy accident thing, a bad one is still bad more often than not, and not fun to watch. Here Decay is watchable

I dunno that they beat it or not, I only ever watch the first couple hours of RE playthroughs cause those games are best in the first couple hours.

I think the best GB stuff in recent years has been when they've had members play stuff outside their wheelhouse, like Drew Scanlon with Metal Gear, Vinny with Shenmue and Abby with Resident Evil. They need to reach out on their discord I think and maybe try out some suggestions rather than putting up polls to play a few things they've triaged themselves.

Yea the Nextlander stuff has been very boring and by the numbers. Especially considering their reasons for leaving GB. They’re still playing the same games too. I used to really enjoy these finding some hidden gems or discovering games they’d have otherwise overlooked. Like Vinny with Persona 4 as a easy example. Now they’re just playing the same stuff they’ve been playing for months, even years now. Vinny seems a lot more muted than he used to be too. Without the relative silliness of Dan, Bakalar or Abbey to bounce off of he doesn’t seem as energetic for lack of a better word. Just seems less fun with Alex and Brad for whatever reason. 

Whereas GB has been more interesting than it’s been in a very long time. I’m enjoying most of their new output, Tamoor is starting to grow on me (I didn’t like home at first) and there’s just more variety in the content theyre producing - which is funny considering the lack of freedom and variety is part of the reason the Nextlander lot left. Even their safe stuff has been more interesting, such as Borne to Run. The editing makes all the difference to that series. 

Hopefully the Nextlander lot find their feet in the near future. There was always going to be some “playing it safe” to start with.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a writing/story position but since you aren't writing in a more traditional sense so they make up these awful job titles.

Video game job titles aren't as uniform as other entertainment so the contributions/responsibilities of 'director' can change from studio to studio, and sometimes the same job has different names.

It's a cluster fuck trying to follow it.

But IP Director, Jesus.  It's like they want to make what likely is a creatively fulfilling job as soulless as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...