passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Giant Bomb Mega Thread

David

Re4 is really well paced, for the first 4 chapters. It's a combination of introducing the right  new enemy types at the right time, the composition of those enemy types and how they complement each other, how it uses environmental gimmicks/obstacles to freshen those encounters up and the choice it gives to players to deal with all of the above. All the while punishing players for using repetitive strategies (headshots make more likely you'll see a head crab emerge iirc) but not punishing too hard because of its rubber banding

It's just a very well designed action rollercoaster which generally knows when to introduce a new gimmick. That's why people like it. But chapter 5 is bad.

I’m not saying Resi 4 is shit, it’s really good, but I’m glad there’s video documenting an experience with the game which is just like what I remember my experience with the game being. Where at the beginning it’s really awesome, crazy and there’s nothing quite like it and it’s fantastic. But as the game goes on it just wears thinner and thinner. Abby at points even vocalises my problems with the game where it’s like “What is even happening, why isn’t this working, why does this fight not end, this level doesn’t make sense, why is Ashley so fucking lame”. And then Dan and Alex are sitting there being like “This game is awesome. Except for this bit. And yeah that bit is kind of bullshit. And I forgot about this part. Yeah this game is longer than I remember” 

It’s like yeah. That is what Resident Evil 4 is. It isn’t just the fun parts at the beginning.

• 3 weeks later...

Abbey has got them all saying "I will say..." followed by some nothing point

I still like the Beastcast, it is very repetitive though. The same notes get hit all the time, hockey, Sims, Metal Gear, Metal Gear, wrestling, Metal Gear, wrestling, Simpsons reference etc. It is still head and shoulders better than the Bombcast though

Dan is fucking toxic and the worst hire they ever made. I get it. He’s a twat that draws attention and gets crazy stuff done, so in the world of memes and social media they want that exposure. But he’s still a fucking idiot to listen too. 

Having Austin on the other week was so nice and I miss him being at GB. Can’t wait until this Vice thing finally tanks and maybe they can rehire him. 

? I like Dan. Didn’t used to but he’s grown on me a lot. I think he adds a good energy and comes up with some great features. Doubt Crime Crew, Steal my Sunshine etc. would have happened without him. Look at the west coast since he left too, hardly any new content ideas or features.

That list though :uhoh:

To go back a bit. I like Dan, he does bring energy and ideas, I'm not sure you can credit him with Crime Crew, that seemed more of a Vinny thing, and Burgle My Bananas just doesn't seem very good, but for all his faults I think he's good 

I hope they don't hire Mike though, he seems a good guy and he seems to play more games than the rest of them combined, but he brings out Dan's worst traits 

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like Austin Walker has sort of left Waypoint. Partly due to burnout, but he'll remain as occasional contributor

Mostly tho it sounds like he is leaving the field in terms of the role he's being doing to date and exploring other options. Which I can dig, because burnout is pretty toxic.

Definitely don't think he'll be doing what maf wants and just sauntering back to Giantbomb. Probably can see him looking to other 'tech journalism/critical theory' type roles, wherever they exist

I didn’t realise before but I’ve never actually seen a Trine game before, but after watching the QL of Trine 4 I’m really trying to hold myself back from buying it because it looks amazing. Combat, yeah, mashy rubbish whatever, but the look and tone of the game is so appealing right now.

Just a shame it’s £25 ?

That’s like a 1/4 of a £100 ?

Which is like a 40th of a £1000 ?

Who has that kind of money? ?

I’m going to start a Patreon wish me luck 

If I bought it I would probably die of poverty first.  £25, @Nag can you believe it! 

EDIT: Actually there’s a bundle for all 4 games for £40, which £10 per is pretty solid, but I don’t know if I would like one of them before jumping in for the whole series