passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Film 2010

Hendo

Claudia Winkleman!

Claudia Winkleman has been named as the new presenter of Film 2010, succeeding Jonathan Ross, the BBC has announced.

The star, who currently has her own weekly arts show on BBC Radio 2, said: "I am completely over the moon about being given this enormous honour."

The long-running BBC One show, which started as Film 71, was presented by film critic Barry Norman for many years, with Ross taking over in 1999.

TV presenter Winkleman will begin her new role in September.

Any thoughts? I'm sure some people will question her validity to do the job, but as far as I'm concerned, she's a fine looking woman. :)

Agreed, she's just the wrong side of quirky. I still would tho

As for her doing film reviews, JR wasn't massively qualified, and while I'd rather someone that was (not Kermode he's too scattergun, should have his own one tho) I cant say for certain that she doesn't know her films. Wait and see i guess, JR turned out to be pretty decent, better than paul ross at any rate

Fine looking woman or cultural criticism.....

I'll go for the latter.....

Unless she has a 1 hour BBC 4 special on auteurism and the Hollywood studio system I'll remain to be impressed....

When Mark Kermode was asked about the rumour that he was doing it, he said that the show doesn't want or need a hardcore critic like him, just someone who can do middle of the road criticism. If she already does her own arts show, it's not like they've thrown the ghost of Jade Goody in there.

Fine looking woman or cultural criticism.....

I'll go for the latter.....

Unless she has a 1 hour BBC 4 special on auteurism and the Hollywood studio system I'll remain to be impressed....

When Mark Kermode was asked about the rumour that he was doing it, he said that the show doesn't want or need a hardcore critic like him, just someone who can do middle of the road criticism. If she already does her own arts show, it's not like they've thrown the ghost of Jade Goody in there.

That would be quite entertaining though. Especially anything 'foreign'.

Seems tweeting people are not happy.

http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/819691-claudia-winkleman-film-2010-news-gets-frosty-twitter-reception

Claudia Winkleman Film 2010 news gets frosty Twitter reception

A lot of Twitter users hoped the announcement of Claudia Winkleman as Jonathan Ross's replacement on Film 2010 was an early April Fool's joke by the BBC, with an overall sense of horror that the perma-tanned Hell’s Kitchen host was chosen over movie buff Mark Kermode.

"Who says the BBC is dumbing down!? What next, Jordan to host Question Time!?" tweeted mickstevens, while deejayone made the pertinent point: "Barry Norman would be turning in his grave... If he was dead".

It wasn't all microblogging outrage that Winkleman got the gig, however, with the odd ripple of solidarity making its way through the site: "Claudia Winkleman named as Jonathan Ross's successor on Film 2010. Go girl, we love you!" tweeted BarberEllaLDN.

"Whoa never would have guessed Claudia Winkleman would take over on film 2010! Official. That will be very interesting, different side to her?" chipped in boyaloud, upping calls to give the new presenter a chance.

Twitter user harbonaut wasn't quite so charitable, however: "How about Claudia Winkleman presenting Film 2010? Will she prefer the Cohen brothers to Jennifer Aniston? Probably not!"

"Mark Kermode must be spitting feathers that Claudia Winkleman got that gig!" said wirralMG in a post alluding, like many on the subject, to the veteran critic.

Kermode made it clear last week, however, that he had ruled himself out of the running for a gig requiring "a mainstream sensibility".

"They've never asked me, they've never approached me, nor indeed would they - and I wouldn't expect them to," he said.

"If you were doing that programme, why would you get that bloke who says 3D is a con?"

i hate it when newspapers makes stories out of twitter comments, the guardian have been doing this for a while it and really pisses me off.

Secondly, i don't think this is a bad thing. She might have excellent taste in films, give her a chance.

I really don't think Kermode would be a good choice for the job anyway, it's meant to be the BBC's mainstream flagship film show, he genuinely turns his nose up at a lot of mainstream films and seems to be more interested in ranting for the sake of ranting.