passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo 3DS

David

Possible (probable?) technology that will be used in the 3DS.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

That looks pretty cool actually.

I am wondering about the price though - this tech still looks pretty new and hence expensive. Nintendo handhelds have been slowly creeping up in price recently, and considering my old trusty DS Phat is currently aging quickly (Touch screen is becoming really dodgy), I'm really holding out non this to replace it.

Hope the price is reasonable...

• 3 weeks later...

Not massive news but surprised that no-one here picked up on it.

Apparently will be released over here in October!

Nintendo's 3DS will be released a full two months in advance of Christmas this year, CVG can reveal.

UK industry sources have today informed us that the platform holder is readying an October launch for the system - which it will announce at E3.

That means it will go head-to-head with Microsoft's own great hardware hope this winter, Project Natal.

News of an October launch was a surprise for the execs we spoke to - as Nintendo had only previously announced that the handheld would hit shelves before March, 2011.

An October launch pre-dates that expiry date by a full six months - and gives Nintendo a three-month run-up to Christmas.

One very senior publishing source told CVG: "It's a surprise - we were expecting it much closer to Christmas. But I suppose it gives Nintendo the opportunity to get it front and centre in people's minds nice and early.

"In my experience, you don't launch a product that early to Christmas unless you're confident in it - and going to spend a lot of money on it. We're reassured that Nintendo is going to give it some decent backing in Q4."

The 3DS allows gamers to enjoy software with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses - but will also play regular DS titles.

Professor Layton developer Level 5 is reportedly creating a custom 3D game for the system.

We haven't yet got hold of a specific launch date - but Sunday, October 10 (10/10/10) is surely a front runner.

Nintendo told CVG today's story was merely "rumour and speculation". We get that a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

C+VG

Monday:

Nintendo may be testing its 3DS handheld with the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Images of a dual-screen test board made their way into an FCC filing (now retracted) under the title 'Nintendo CTR Target Board'.

The image has been retained by website WirelessGoodness, which adds that the board was submitted to the FCC for the approval of its Wi-Fi card.

The image exhibits an expanded DS motherboard with one 4:3 screen replaced by a wide-screen. This could signify the inclusion of Sharp's auto-stereoscopic 3D technology. If this is indeed the 3DS, then the system's bottom screen will not sport 3D.

Although the test board could have been submitted for the approval of a new Wi-Fi card in the existing DS, its 'CTR' codename suggests otherwise. Each new DS model sports its own unique codename, with the DSi being referred to as the TWL and the DSi XL as the UTL.

A new three-letter codename points towards this being our first look at the 3DS, even if this isn't its final skin.

Tuesday:

The Nintendo 3DS is set to include a 16:9 screen and PSP-style thumb nub, if evidence stripped from yesterday's supposed motherboard picture should be believed.

According to the eagle-eyed nutters at Game Usagi, yesterday's image shows both a 16:9 and DSi-sized 4:3 screen for the 3DS, the former of which is seemingly wired up for 3D and touch.

Our resident experts have also concluded that the 3DS will include an identical button setup to current DS consoles (plus the thumb nub), DS and SD card slots and... (wait for it) a headphone jack.

What the motherboard image doesn't tell us about the 3DS (if it indeed is real) is the shape of the handheld, the distance between the two screens, the possible existence of cameras or the graphical power of the hardware.

Still... it's got a thumb nub!

I wonder what Wednesday will bring?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm already at the top of the Day One list. :wub:

It's looking to be early 2011 then, right? I wonder what it's going to cost. I would like to see how well DS games look on it too, although I'll probably end up keeping my XL for DS games and the 3DS for the new stuffs.

Yeah, apparently it should be late this year for Japan, and March/April time for America and Europe. At least that's how the last few Nintendo hardware releases have went.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Game graphics btw.