passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rock Band 3

Hendo

good setlist, out of what i've heard anyway, not heard of a lot of them though, but that's probobly a good sign.

i've seen setlists where the beast and the harlot is back too, hope that's true :awe:

You think they will make the Beatles songs exportable now there is a harmony thing in place for RB3? We can wish.

i'd guess that's really unlikely.

edit - full list apparently (posted on dvdf):

1. 20th Century Boy- T-Rex

2. 25 Or 6 To 4- Chicago

3. Antibodies- Poni Hoax

4. The Beautiful People- Marilyn Manson

5. Beast And The Harlot- Avenged Sevenfold

6. Been Caught Stealing- Jane's Addiction

7. Before I Forget- Slipknot

8. Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen

9. Break On Through (To The Other Side)- The Doors

10. Caught In A Mosh- Anthrax

11. Centerfold- The J Geils Band <------ EPIC WIN!!!!!!!!!!

12. China Grove- The Doobie Brothers

13. Cold As Ice- Foreigner

14. Combat Baby- Metric

15. The Con- Tegan And Sara

16. Crazy Train- Ozzy Ozbourne

17. Crosstown Traffic- Jimi Hendrix Experience

18. Dead End Friends- Them Crooked Vultures

19. Don't Bury Me...I'm Still Not Dead- Riverboat Gamblers

20. Don't Stand So Close To Me- The Police

21. Du Hast- Rammstein

22. Everybody Wants To Rule The World- Tears For Fears

23. False Alarm- The Bronx

24. Fly Like An Eagle- Steve Miller Band

25. Foolin'- Def Leppard

26. Free Bird- Lynyrd Skynyrd

27. Get Free- The Vines

28. Get Up, Stand Up- Bob Marley And The Wailers

29. Good Vibrations (Live)- The Beach Boys

30. The Hardest Button To Button- The White Stripes

31. Heart Of Glass- Blondie

32. Here I Go Again- Whitesnake

33. Hey Man, Nice Shot- Filter

34. Humanoid- Tokio Hotel

35. I Can See For Miles- The Who

36. I Got You (I Feel Good)- James Brown

37. I Love Rock And Roll- Joan Jett And The Blackhearts

38. I Need To Know- Tom Petty And The Hearbreakers

39. I Wanna Be Sedated- Ramones

40. Imagine- John Lennon

41. In A Big Country- Big Country

42. In The Meantime- Spacehog

43. Jerry Was A Racecar Driver- Primus

44. Just Like Heaven- The Cure

45. Killing Loneliness- HIM

46. The Killing Moon- Echo And The Bunnymen

47. King George- Dover

48. Lasso- Phoenix

49. Last Dance- Raveonettes

50. Living In America- The Sounds

51. Llama- Phish

52. The Look- Roxette

53. Low Rider- WAR

54. Me Enamora- Juanes

55. Midlife Crisis- Faith No More

56. Misery Business- Paramore

57. Need You Tonight- INXS

58. No One Knows- Queens Of The Stone Age

59. Oh My God- Ida Maria

60. One Armed Scissor- At The Drive-In

61. Outer Space- The Muffs

62. Oye Mi Amor- Mana

63. Plush- Stone Temple Pilots

64. Portions For Foxes- Rilo Kiley

65. The Power Of Love- Huey Lewis And The News

66. Radar Love- Golden Earring

67. Rainbow In The Dark- Dio

68. Rehab- Amy Winehouse

69. Rock Lobster- The B-52's

70. Roundabout- YES

71. Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)- Elton John

72. Sister Christian- Night Ranger

73. Smoke On The Water- Deep Purple

74. Something Bigger, Something Better- Pretty Girls Make Graves

75. Space Oddity- David Bowie

76. Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before- The Smiths

77. This *******'s Life- Swingin' Utters

78. Viva La Resistance- Hypernova

79. Walk Of Life- Dire Straits

80. Walking On The Sun- Smash Mouth

81. Werewolves Of London- Warren Zevon

82. Whip It- Devo

83. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 1- The Flaming Lips

Doesn't appeal to me as much as the RB2 setlist. There are definitely some great tracks on there though. Definitely looking forward to Space Oddity, Bohemian Rhapsody and Free Bird.

• 3 weeks later...

Remenber there is a DS version.

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="620" height="375" id="gorillaPlayer_dest004"><param name="swliveconnect" value="true"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.springboard.gorillanation.com/storage/xplayer/yo033.swf"><param'>http://cdn.springboard.gorillanation.com/storage/xplayer/yo033.swf"><param name="flashvars" value="e=4bffc0037b3a3a49328d685cccfc7c21cc002973d57a44951a38fddf065f5c696a66be9b89ee2d2f0947d4e15d253124c7d296b9a2a5d695fdd446d15f64f11765e48a3d71ea9b28f3c9da080b8862a02723d09accafe3f4ff222bb8b0&width=620&height=375&pid=dest004&autostart=false&allowscriptaccess=always&usefullscreen=true"><embed src="http://cdn.springboard.gorillanation.com/storage/xplayer/yo033.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="gorillaPlayer_dest004" width="620" height="375" allowscriptaccess="always" swliveconnect="true" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="e=4bffc0037b3a3a49328d685cccfc7c21cc002973d57a44951a38fddf065f5c696a66be9b89ee2d2f0947d4e15d253124c7d296b9a2a5d695fdd446d15f64f11765e48a3d71ea9b28f3c9da080b8862a02723d09accafe3f4ff222bb8b0&width=620&height=375&pid=dest004&autostart=false&allowscriptaccess=always&usefullscreen=true&esnapshot=4bffc0037b3a3a493b90685cccfc7c21cc002973d57a44951a38fddf065f5c696a66be9b89ee2d2f094ccde2702233248cc5acabb2a1c298eade4b9a1869fa1f32b8d76936b6c068b683c70a0b8b7ea9393d95da84&trueurl=http://www.destructoid.com/"></embed></object>

It seems to be the PSP game but not as good looking, and only 25 songs apparently which isn't good enough to be honest (and I'd wager most will also be on the console version). if they made it 40ish I may have picked this up, too. I rather enjoyed Unplugged on the PSP.

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="266" id="viddler"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple/b0821d16/" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="fake=1"/><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple/b0821d16/" width="437" height="266" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fake=1" name="viddler" ></embed></object>

I really like the idea of this. The only think I don't like is that there are so many variables when playing the guitar, I mute the 6th string when playing minor barre chords, would it be able to tell I am doing this? Also, if you note the guy struggles to get a multiplier going, now obviously he can play guitar so why is he having this problem? Is the timing out on the calibration? Is the timing window just so narrow that you have to be uber accurate? Because strumming patterns have some give in them.

There are a load of other things I want to complain about or question, but it would probably be lost on most people but Hendo. Maybe if anyone cares I would go into it.

I really like the idea of this. The only think I don't like is that there are so many variables when playing the guitar, I mute the 6th string when playing minor barre chords, would it be able to tell I am doing this?

nah, it won't know what you're doing if you try and do anything fancy, it knows where your fingers are on each string and what strings you're picking and that's about it i think. even if the guy can play guitar, reading tab in real time is hard enough (can anyone here do this?), then ligning up your fingers and picking the right strings (guess it depends how well he can play guitar, because technically i can play the guitar, i'm crap though and wouldn't stand a chance with any of that), pro guitar mode is going to be really hard! and thats probably a massive understatement, so i don't think its that odd he's missing stuff. i really like the idea of it too, hoping it'll be a good learning tool :)

There are a load of other things I want to complain about or question, but it would probably be lost on most people but Hendo. Maybe if anyone cares I would go into it.

Yeah I'd be interested out of curiosity.

I think its pretty amazing TBF, feels like a genuine step forward in the genre and will give people the ability to play a real instrument. That's pretty impressive.

The way I look at it, I was having guitar lessons from about 9 years old until 14 and I found it really boring. If I'd have had something like that at that age, it would have kept my interest a lot more than Greensleeves. I can see this actually introducing a lot of people to real instruments.

Yeah I'd be interested out of curiosity.

Positioning. Chords can be played in a variety of places on the neck of the guitar. 'G' can be played open, at 3rd, 5th, 10th and 15th (in two different ways, barre and open). Now as long as you don't stray too far, these chords can be fit into any progression. For instance, I always use the barre version at 3rd, it is very rare I would use an 'open' chord due to the fact you have very little control over it. The same could be said for some chords that are hard to finger in a short space of time for some people. 'B7' is a hard chord to play when you first see it, but it can be played with ease by baring it on the same root note, the barre shape been a movable one that can play any '*7th' note. Solos can also be played anywhere on the neck of the guitar, notes repeat every 5 frets on the next sting up and the game shouldn't penalise you for playing in the position that isn't on the screen. As long as the right note is hit that's all it should worry about is my point.

Muted notes. Now if you watch the video you'll notice that a lot of the note coming his way are have no sustain. In rock music there is a technique called palm muting, where you chug away on the power chords like he is doing with the fatty bit of your hand on the bridge to mute the note. However, there are times when he lets the strings ring on on the same notes. And then there are the sustained notes. Do you have to kill the sustain at the end or can you leave it ringing until the next set of notes like the current guitars let you do? Some chords require you to barre but mute certain strings, normally it is the 5th string. Can the sensors pick this up? IRL you just play all 6 strings and the muted one doesn't ring out, is the technology good enough to realise that you are not fretting the muted sting all way down?

Vibrato, string bending and other sting manipulation using the left hand. If you have not noticed, the Squire has no tremolo arm. How are you meant to bend those long sustained notes? Well, on a real guitar you can either bend or use vibrato to create sustain effects, or even use behind the nut string bending. Does this guitar have the ability to recognise these techniques? Can it even tell how tight the strings are, or even if they are in tune at all?

The final thing is all the fancy shit. Hammer on's and pull off's, slides and tapping. I guess it just depends on all the other stuff I mentioned up above this whether these work. But ideally they need to, as a lot of songs basically rely on these techniques to be able to play the faster sections of the songs.

Maybe I am just worrying about nothing and they have all this covered, but we won't really know until people start getting their hands on it and start praising/cussing it as they think it should be praised/cussed.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that vibrato wouldn't work. Maybe I'm wrong because that would also indicate that bending wouldn't work as it could only take into account which fret you were hitting and not the actual note, which would suck.

I would guess they're gonna do their research and find out which exact chord shapes and positions the guitarist used to make it authentic. I'm not really bothered about that though, my real concern is tuning. If it's a drop-D song or open tuned or even tuned down, will want you to tune the guitar accordingly? I can imagine it would be a hassle to include those as tutorials but someone could master a song in open G and then unplug their RB guitar or pick up a normal one and find that the part they learnt sounds awful because it's not tuned right.

It could be brilliant, but it could also be a fucking car crash of a fuck up.

I think it'll be somewhere in the middle. For an advanced guitarist such as yourself, it might be lacking, maybe even frustrating that it isn't registering something that isn't strictly speaking wrong (just different). However I think it'll do a fantastic job of bridging the gap between plastic guitar and Carlos Santana.

See, I think that if people are going to drop £150+ for this, they are going to know a bit about guitars as it is.

Difficulty is another thing that worries me. Recently my missus has been playing RB2 with me, and I am forcing her to play on medium bass. Now, that's a big jump for her, at the very start she couldn't cope with easy, even now holding multiple frets down screws her up. I cannot get pass hard guitar for some songs, my hands just refuse to do what I am seeing. With that in mind, they need to do do 'pro modes' to cater for each fragment of skills people have. I mean, if you think I am going to be able to play something like Freebird like for like on 'expert pro' then you are having a laugh. I think for the most people who can play will find a wall at 'hard pro' before it gets to difficult. You have to remember that some of the people responsible for creating these tunes spent 8 hours a day playing guitar for decades of their lives, and to expect people to be able to consume that would be a bit of an over estimation.

yeah pro mode has different difficulty levels just like the normal modes :)

think you're expecting a bit too much from this Sly! i recon it'll be basic like Ben says, you'll have to play what you see. which for most people will be fine.

@Hendo - i think it just knows the positions of your fingers so probably doesn't take tuning into account, and it probably won't recognise bending as the madcats one is just a shed load of buttons, so even if it does recognise it - it won't be part of the game.

Yeah I'm pretty much ignoring the Madcatz one to be honest.

I think I read that the Pro guitar has sensors in the frets so it would know when you were fingering (yes I said "fingering") the fret but would have no clue about string bending. Not a problem for Easy mode but I can't see how that would work on Expert. Every Eric Clapton song would just look wrong.

Maybe it senses which string is vibrating and cross references it with which sensors are picking up. Which is something else it would have to take into account, I bend 2,3,4,5 and 6 up and 1 down, where pretty much every one else bends 1,2,3,4 and 5 down and 6 up. I am sure I won't be the only one who does it the other way round, a note bend is a note bend.