passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rock Band 3

Hendo

Rock Band 3 has been confirmed for an autumn 2010 release worldwide.

Confirmation came via the Facebook page of Rock Band.

"Harmonix is developing Rock Band 3 for worldwide release this holiday season," blurted the update.

"The game, which will be published by MTV Games and distributed by Electronic Arts, will innovate and revolutionise the music genre once again, just as Harmonix did with the original Rock Band, Rock Band 2 and The Beatles: Rock Band."

Actual solid, touchable details are scarce. We don't know whether Harmonix's interest in Natal or PS3 wand has come to anything, nor whether mentions of a keyboard instrument are accurate.

I think the biggest question is, will we be able to move all the existing tracks across to it?

• 2 months later...

It sets it up for a more varied setlist, but the cost. Dear god, the cost.

There is pretty much no doubt I'll be getting this game, though. And since my current peripherals are a bit knackered now I'll probably go for getting the whole kit this time.. I'll get the money somehow...

Well there was that talk about including a more robust trainer in RB3. There was the drum trainer in RB2 that was meant to teach you the drums but it didn't really teach you anything, nothing that you don't just pick up from playing the game naturally.

I dunno if it would actually work, I hope it isn't just something they can stick on the back of the box or on adverts. "Playing Rock Band 3 will turn you into a rock star!" My relationship with music is very much that of a consumer rather than as a creator and I'm happy with that, I don't want some game telling me I can play for real when I bloody can't.

Yeah, I think Guitar Hero: Metalica had the option for a second pedal.

I'm pretty sure if I got behind a drum kit I'd have a much better idea of what I'm meant to do after hammering RB for years but I'd be still a bit off being able to claim that I could play the drums. You rely to much on the note chart while playing, in the drum trainer there is an option to play what you want but I couldn't do much beyond the most simple of beats, because of the lack of a visual prompt.

If you can survive the drums on Expert then you've got what it takes to be a drummer.

I reckon they'll just be 5 keys - there's no reason there would be any more than that, unless they're completely changing how the game works.

good question about the number of keys, like hendo says it's hard to see them going too high because the note chart would probably be too hard to read, maybe they'll have it laid out like a keyboard with some sort of 'w' style 3d-ness to it with the black ones raised, and maybe stretch it to 7 like ben says, but then that might make it harder to tell when to play the note...we'll see at e3 i guess.

hope they do a game/keyboard bundle, i really don't need any more fake plastic drums/guitars, but iirc the only way to get the drums at the rb1 launch was to get the whole lot :(

I wonder if we'll see some OMD or ELO on this time due to keys been included? I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't have a Kaiser Chiefs song on there because there set up is basically a guitar, bass, drums and keys. Not to mention vocals, which I think will be a progression on the harmonies of the Beatles game.

Double whammy motherfuckers!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/exclusive-rock-band-3-brings-keytar-new-pro-mode.ars

Information about a keyboard being included in the Rock Band 3 package was teased in the Green Day: Rock Band demo, and we have now been given some exclusive information by our now-famous Mole about what we can expect from Rock Band 3. Read on to find out what to expect from the instruments in the latest version of the game.

It's the '80s!

There won't actually be a keyboard peripheral sold with the game; instead there will be a keytar-like instrument supported. For those who didn't listen to much '80s music, a keytar is a sort of keyboard with a strap, held like a guitar. The keytar will be the only new instrument for the game.

We were surprised that new instruments were being released at all, since Activision had noted that they were focusing on software and not hardware in order to cut costs. We figured Harmonix would follow what seemed to be a savvy strategy in a world already choked with peripherals. Harmonix will actually be doing something similar, and the peripherals will be created by an outside company.

Mad Catz is bringing the instruments

Mad Catz will be creating all the Rock Band 3 instruments and bundles; EA will only be distributing the software. Mad Catz will be offering many different bundles with different combinations of instruments available, and there will be bundles that are exclusive to certain retailers. If you have guitars, you'll be able to find a bundle for drums. If you need everything, that will be available as well. If a store doesn't want to be saddled with huge boxes, they can simply stock the game.

This will allow the focus of the launch to be kept on the software, and we're told that there will be a "pro" mode included in the game that will require proper technique, and may lead to actual skills on guitars and bass. How this will work isn't known, but it's possible Mad Catz may create a product that more closely mimics an actual guitar.

All this information is firmly in the rumor pile, excluding the Mad Catz connection, but our Mole has successfully broken more stories in gaming news and peripherals than anyone else in this business, so we're confident in this data. It also makes sense: Mad Catz has long had the license to release Rock Band peripherals, and large bundles suffer from thin margins and can be expensive to stock. Giving control of the hardware to a company who knows how to release and ship peripherals makes sense for everyone, and more bundles give retailers a new layer of granularity to stock items based on their needs.

As for the keytar? We have no clue. Expect this information to be confirmed at E3.

Keytar makes more sense than having a keyboard, I mean the drum kit already takes up quite a bit of space, never mind adding keys to the floor plan as well. Its a two birds one stone situation, I know I'd pick the keytar over the keyboards, just for the space saving and guitar like posturing. Speaking of posturing, do you think they will have you crossing drumsticks and pelvic thrusting the guitars for extra points using Natal?

A keytar is a bit kitsch, I suppose you could just put it on your knee.

I'd like to see what this "pro" mode involves, I know one of the things they could do. They could change the hammer on/pull off system to the same as the original Guitar Hero, that was more akin to really doing it. I'm looking forward to what they'll show at E3, hopefully some the peripherals will be shown.

Depeche Mode, The Cure, Kraftwerk, Erasure, oh and Jean-Michel Jarre please! :)

And Vangelis would be awesome. And "I Feel Love" by Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder. And fairly obviously, you could do a lot of Pink Floyd songs justice.