passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Apple iPad

David

If I had that kind of money, I'd go with the HP Slate instead.

having used various shit HP computers in the past ranging from PDA's to laptops to desktops i wouldn't touch it with a 10ft poll.

The video didn't actually show any real footage of it working.

• 4 weeks later...

It's finally got a UK release date and prices:

The new device will now hit British shops on Friday 28th May. It will launch in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain and Switzerland on the same day.

Apple's online store will begin taking pre-orders on Monday 10th May. The 16GB iPad will carry a suggested retail price of £429, while the 32GB version will cost £499 and the 64GB is £599. The 3G-enabled models will be priced at £529 for 16GB, £599 for 32GB and £699 for 64GB.

I can't justify spending that much.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I got my OH an iPad for his 30th birthday and very nice it is too. I'm not too sure what the point of one is and all he seems to have done so far is play Mafia Wars and some crappy penny drop game.

I've tried Angry Birds and wasn't too bothered about it - not had a chance to try much else yet. As soon as the novelty wears off I will subtly take control of it and it will become my mine (mwah ha ha!)

It's taken ages to type this as well.

someone on this forum told me it was better than using a keyboard :unsure:

I think that was me, but I think you're mis-quoting me. I was saying the iPad keyboard is easier to type on than a netbooks keyboard, because it is almost a full sized keyboard. All comes down to personal preference at the end of the day though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As expected

11x03028b234ipad2.jpg

Apple has just made its second-generation iPad official! It features a 1GHz dual-core A5 chip and, finally, cameras, both front and rear! The new CPU is said to be up to twice as fast, with graphics performance up to nine times better than on the original iPad, while power requirements have been kept the same. Battery life is, consequently, unaltered, with Apple promising 10 hours. Pricing, too, has been left unchanged, starting at $499. The new tablet will come with an HDMI output capable of 1080p -- which will set you back $39 for the requisite dongle -- but we've yet to hear any rumblings of Thunderbolt connectivity. There's an enlarged speaker grille on the back, as expected, though resolution has not budged from the original iPad's 1024 x 768.

0p video recording at 30fps will be on tap from the rear-facing camera, which can also do a 5x digital zoom if you're into that kind of thing, whereas the front-facing imager will record at a more modest VGA resolution, also at 30fps.

There's a new cover for the device, which is best defined by Steve Jobs himself: "We designed the case right along side the product. It's not a case -- it's a cover." Basically, it's a magnetic flap that protects the front and automatically wakes and puts the device to sleep according to whether it's open or closed. Guess we know what that proximity sensor was about now. These Smart Covers will cost $39 in plastic or $69 if you opt for leather.

The iPad 2 is 33 percent thinner than its predecessor, at a mind-melting 8.8mm, and a little lighter at just over 600g, while chromatic options have been expanded: you'll get a choice between white and black. It'll be available on both AT&T and Verizon, and all variants start shipping on March 11th. Apple Retail Stores will start sales at the unusual hour of 5PM, which will probably make online pre-orders the fastest way to get yours.

In terms of new software, Apple's launching iOS 4.3 alongside the new iPad and bringing with it much improved Safari performance as well as FaceTime, Photo Booth, iMovie and GarageBand (the latter two costing $4.99 a piece) apps specifically for the newly camera-enriched iPad. Personal Hotspot capabilities are also arriving in the latest version of the OS, but they'll be exclusive to the iPhone 4, so you won't be able to share your 3G iPad's connection.

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="267" id="viddler"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple/2af82d71/" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="fake=1"/><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple/2af82d71/" width="437" height="267" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fake=1" name="viddler" ></embed></object>

Would love one but it ain't gonna happen.

regarding the HDMI, are apple doing their own proprietary output->HDMI, because that's pretty shameless if so. As is charging for a case when people are already paying £600 for your machine.

It does seem powerful though, still pointless, but definitely impressive