passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Apple iPad

David

So apparently Apple are going to announce this tonight. Not that I'll be remotely able to afford it, but at least it does sound of interest for the future of the world of computing.

From what I've heard, it sounds like it's based on an iPhone (same OS or so I hear), and scaled up a bit. There's some shakycam 'leaked' pics on the internets, but I can't be arsed posting them. Needless to say it looks like a big iPhone. :lol:

i was under the impression its a BIG ipod touch, essentially.

I doubt it will have anything like OSX on it, more so because of usability and practicality. Anyone how has tried to use a windows powered tablet will know what a fucking chore they are to use.

Personally I'm sick of hearing about the bloody thing..

Personally I'm sick of hearing about the bloody thing..

Haha, you tech-heads. I heard about it for the very first time on TV this morning, I heard them talk about it for five minutes and basically they said its something that sits between a laptop and a smartphone. Sounds like I don't need it, Thats my contribution

I think it looks pretty good, bit weird seeing a blown-up phone like that, but I guess we'll get used to it.

I guess all apps you've bought will work on it?

Yeah, you can have them at iPhone resolution or pixel doubled. :unsure:

And the price goes up a hell of a lot faster depending on what you want:

apple-creation-0378-rm-eng.jpg

To do the thing justice, you'd be spending just shy of a thousand dollars on it.

It basically does everything a 3GS iPhone does without the ability to make phone calls....at least I think so, but then it does have a microphone.

All info in a nutshell:

After nearly a decade of rumors and speculation, Apple's finally unveiled the iPad. It's a half-inch thick and weighs just 1.5 pounds, with a 9.7-inch capacitive touchscreen IPS LCD display, and it's running a custom 1GHz Apple "A4" chip developed by the P.A. Semi team, with a 10-hour battery life and a month of standby. It'll come in 16, 32, and 64GB sizes, and it's got the expected connectivity: very little. There's a 30-pin Dock connector, a speaker, a microphone, Bluetooth, and 802.11n WiFi, as well as an accelerometer and a compass. There's also a keyboard dock, which connects underneath in the portrait orientation. The device is managed by iTunes, just like the iPhone -- you sync everything over to your Mac. As expected, it can run iPhone apps -- either pixel-for-pixel in a window, or pixel-doubled fullscreen -- but developers can also target the new screen size using the updated iPhone OS SDK, which is available today. The 3G version runs on AT&T and comes with new data plans: 250MB for $14.99 and an unlimited plan for $29.99 a month contract-free. Activations are handled on the iPad, so you can activate and cancel whenever you want. Every iPad is unlocked and comes with a GSM "micro-SIM," so you can use it abroad, but there aren't any international deals in place right now -- Steve says they'll be back "this summer" with news on that front.

It starts at $499 for 16GB, 32GB for $599, and $699 64GB. Adding 3G costs a $130 per model, so the most expensive model (64GB / 3G) is $829. The WiFi-only model will ship in 60 days, and the 3G models will come in 90.