passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

PS3 finally cracked

Hendo

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/23/ps3-finally-properly-hacked/

In a post titled "Hello hypervisor, I'm geohot," hacker George Hotz (already known in the iPhone community) has made a strong claim: that he has cracked the PS3. The system has remained (mostly) uncompromised for over three years now, with a few exceptions here and there. But, this one pledges full read/write access to the entire system memory and complete control over the processor -- all without a mod chip. Has he really done it, if so how, and what comes next? That all remains to be seen. This exploit supposedly "isn't really patchable, but [sony] can make implementations much harder," meaning he isn't tipping his hat until he's ready, because once he does the never-ending firmware update war begins, and as we've seen on the PSP, Sony can really knock out those updates.

Original post here.

I hope he either just sits happy that he was the first and doesn't take it any further (unlikely) or gets a stupidly high paid job at Sony to work on their security. Also unlikely.

Seems like he's given up, because he's released what he's done so far onto the internet. Also, he still has no access to the root key of the cell (which for a variety of reasons is nigh on impossible to get to, or so I've read).

On top of that, everything he's done so far has involved the other OS option in phat PS3's, which Sony are obviously going to remove next firmware update now. Well done, hackers! :lol:

Yeah, I've read similar things - even if they can get through properly and take over the system, that's only for old phat systems and you're looking at massive downloads to pirate a game. But it's looking highly unlikely.

• 2 months later...

Because of this, the next firmware update is removing OtherOS from the system, don't know if that affects anyone here?

Sony has announced that OtherOS capabilities, including support for Linux, will no longer be available with the release of PlayStation 3 firmware 3.21 on 1st April. Citing "security concerns", the platform holder has confirmed that all models of PS3 will be affected.

"For most of you, this won't have any impact on how you use your PS3," says the Official PlayStation Blog. "If you are one of the few who use the 'Other OS' feature, or if you belong to an organisation that does, then you can choose not to upgrade your system."

However, not upgrading your system with the mandatory upgrade essentially cripples your PlayStation 3 in a number of ways. From 1st April, maintaining your current firmware blocks access to PSN, preventing online gaming and access to the PlayStation Store.

Looking further ahead, newer PlayStation titles built on the more recent SDKs will prompt you to upgrade to the new firmware when inserted into your PS3. Cancel the update and they won't run.

Blu-ray movie playback will be affected too: specifically, the support for 3D Blu-ray movies planned for the summer will not be available. Of less consequence is that streaming copy-protected videos held on an external media server will no longer work.

There's a surprising amount of people slagging them off for taking it out, but I think they've done the right thing. They offered a different OS, it got abused so they're taking it out. Seems fair to me.

it doesnt sit well with me that theyre removing it, it got abused by an extreme minority, they should make (shouldve made?) it unabusable so they dont have to withdraw attractive functionality from their console. if they couldnt do that, and this is their response to it being abused, should said functionality have been there in the first place and used to sell consoles to people who wanted to use that

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, man.

I don't think it would be possible to make something unabusable, as soon as something exists then it will get hacked.

If it's a choice of piss off a very small portion of people or secure their system, then I think they made the right choice. They're still losing money on the hardware i think, so if the games got pirated then they'd be up shit creek.

• 2 weeks later...

PS3 user refunded for 'Other OS' removal

A PlayStation 3 user has reportedly received a partial refund after complaining that Sony's removal of the Install Other OS feature meant the console was no longer fit for purpose.

The user - NeoGAF forum member lapetus - was granted a refund of £71.49 for his 60GB PS3 console by online retailer Amazon. That was without having to return the console, which was considerably out of its warranty period and Amazon's 30 day guarantee.

PlayStation University reports that lapetus used European laws to obtain the refund - specifically stating that the feature's removal meant the console no longer complied with the description given and was not fit for the purpose required which was made known to the seller at the time of purchase.

The recently-released Firmware 3.21 disabled the ability to run Linux on the PS3 - a move that Sony said was necessary due to security concerns.

The feature had already been dropped from newer PlayStation 3 models last year, and Sony has said that those few using the Other OS can continue to do so by opting not to upgrade their consoles. However, not doing so would result in not being able to sign into the PlayStation Network, or play games that require the latest update.

Sony's user agreement also states clearly that it has the right to revise the PS3's settings and features in order to prevent access to unauthorised or pirated content.

GamesIndustry.biz has contacted Sony for comment on the situation.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ps3-user-refunded-for-other-os-removal