passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Broadband woes

retroed

@DANGERMAN 

New, exclusive, Virgin Media's streamer package. Are you an influencer, need to show your followers your sick fortnight skins, are you a p*rn hub gamer girl getting railed whilst playing Overwatch? You need our streamer package. £65 per month, 12mb upload speed*

*Upload speed dependent on location to Usain Bolt.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

WRT watching The Mandalorian outside the US, it might actually be more ethical to get it via 'creative' means than pay Disney+ money and use something like NordVPN

Because NordVPN allegedly use malware installed on random clients in the US to route their traffic 

https://medium.com/@derek./how-is-nordvpn-unblocking-disney-6c51045dbc30

edit: If you're up for it there's some good guides online to install your own personal VPN on a US IP. I did it for my Dad before, setting up a UK VPN to watch the BBC iPlayer

Apologies if this doesn't belong here. Please move if it's in a bad place

Edit by Jim:

Moved to here as it seems to make more sense it being in the technology thread.

On 29/11/2019 at 16:11, one-armed dwarf said:

WRT watching The Mandalorian outside the US, it might actually be more ethical to get it via 'creative' means than pay Disney+ money and use something like NordVPN

Because NordVPN allegedly use malware installed on random clients in the US to route their traffic 

https://medium.com/@derek./how-is-nordvpn-unblocking-disney-6c51045dbc30

Nah, don't agree with piracy at all personally. I'll always try and pay for the content I enjoy.

NordVPN is crap for Disney+ and doesn't work anyway so not an issue here. I use Surfshark myself and made a US Apple account to access the US App Store.

4 minutes ago, Blakey said:

Nah, don't agree with piracy at all personally. I'll always try and pay for the content I enjoy.

NordVPN is crap for Disney+ and doesn't work anyway so not an issue here. I use Surfshark myself and made a US Apple account to access the US App Store.

One may argue that accessing US Apple for the US App Store is a form of piracy (since you might be accessing content that isn't cleared for UK/EU release).

So whilst you might 'pay' for that doesn't necessarily leave you in the clear (e.g. Apple might only have a US distribution licence for certain content).

Oh yes, I can be that pedantic.....

I know a few surface details about licensing/copyright laws but nothing deeper than that to be perfectly honest. 

I just detest piracy and refuse to watch Mando on some dodgy torrent stream (same goes for all other TV shows and movies), so even though I technically may be in breach of some regulations doing it the way I've done it, it is less illegal and more forthright to use the Disney+ official app and pay Disney for their content which I'm enjoying than pirate it from a dodgy pirate site. At least I'm trying to do the right thing, that's the way I look at it.

I don't know anything about Surfshark tbh, I just know NordVPN seems one of the most widely used ones and had a few Black Friday sales.

What gets me paranoid about paid VPN services is not really knowing how your data is being handled. I suppose setting up your own VPN doesn't mitigate that completely, you still have to rent a VPS as well. 

Personally I don't feel a lot of guilt over 'getting around' geo-blocks without paying. Amazon took all my films and TV series from me when I moved from UK to Ireland, so I give absolutely zero shits. I will always pay when they make it easy for me.

• 1 year later...

Not a boardband woe more a wow…

Seems the 2 worst customer service teams have linked up but well worth it if you don’t talk to them, O2 and Virgin media have teamed up. If you add Volt and link your accounts you get double data on your phone and then a speed boost on your home internet.

So I have 180gb of data allowance on my Mobile and 5g access, and 375mb speed on my home boardband, had to move the router around but have managed to get it in position to get 375-400 downstairs and 150-200 upstairs. 

So worth it if your with both companies.