passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Broadband woes

retroed

Ha!

I'm near Ipswich - supposed to get close to 48mb download but I can't really be arsed to challenge them about it.

Funnily enough, my folks live about a third of a mile from bt headquarters and the fastest they can get is 2mb. Something to do with it being one of the first areas in the country to get broadband means its one of the last to get updated.

On the flip side, my net is still down. Supposed to be up on Tuesday.

In the meantime I've hammered the net on my phone. Ran out of data with 20 days left (10gig) so had to pony up for another 10gig for the grand price of twenty quid.

Ouch Hendo. Why are mobile 4G plans outside your data allowance always so expensive? I get the same on EE.

I'm on EE. I don't know if yours is the same but mine used to be unlimited which is why I went with them. Then I got this contract and a 10gig limit is all they said they offer now as 4G isn't an optional extra now.

There is such a thing as "showing the fuck off" you know... ;)

There is Nag. But WTF!

You'd be able download a 50 gig game in like 15 minutes or something daft.... amazing!

It all relies on the servers too Nag. Even with close to 100Mb/s, my Xbox One took all day to download Gears of War Ultimate Edition on Christmas day. Steam is usually pretty good, but can have it's off days. Mainly, I pay for that bandwidth so I can download, while the kids watch Netflix, the wife is on Facebook, and my son plays Team Fortress all at the same time, and other scenarios like that. But yeah, usually a large game takes fifteen to twenty minutes. An album is no time at all. I can get an audiobook from Audible onto my phone in about five minutes.

Ouch Hendo. Why are mobile 4G plans outside your data allowance always so expensive? I get the same on EE.

I'm on EE. I don't know if yours is the same but mine used to be unlimited which is why I went with them. Then I got this contract and a 10gig limit is all they said they offer now as 4G isn't an optional extra now.

I've never had their unlimited package. I have a 2Gb a month limit.

Not sure what Virgin have done, yep im due the new Vivid line next month taking mine up to 150mb but my wifi over the last 4 months has been running at 75mb on average, always get the full 100mb direct ethernet from the router but the wifi has struggled but recently its been kicking out 75mb which is great, 80mb this morning, I still remember the dial up modem days, a week to log in to aol!

Router arrived yesterday. Activation is today.

Last night the light on it was a solid orange, this morning it's a flashing orange.

I've double checked the connections and tried the phone which works.

I rang a friend who said that you need an extra box for fibre but later rang me back as another mate has the same BT hub as me and apparently the new home hubs don't need an extra box.

The most likely option is that they just haven't switched the fibre on yet.

Housemate's boyfriend is the one paying for it and supposedly he knows what he's doing but when I checked the connections, he had the old Sky box connected as well. Which isn't even plugged in.

Facepalm, etc.

Edit: hooray :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I rebooted the router and it's improved the speeds as suddenly as they dropped off. I'm still having problems with lost packets (the red on the graph below - more is worse), which is making online games impossible at times.

e0e14cbe67076b3d328e58dab90dcacd-28-05-2

Still waiting for a response from virginmedia about that. I reported it on the community support forums because that's manned by actual techie people rather than call-centre people reading from a script. It's a bank holiday weekend, so hopefully someone's checking it.