passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Broadband woes

retroed

• 3 months later...

I changed to Virgin Media today, after months of Sky Broadband not cutting the mustard. I was getting 20Mb/s on Sky , but their home hub has shocking WiFi penetration in my small three bedroom semi. I complained, and got the new Sky home hub for free. It didn't work, as my son in the back bedroom was still getting slow and intermittent WiFi. I complained again, and was told to do all these tests, which I'd already done anyway. I bought new WiFi dongles for my kids computers, and it made no difference.

I complained again, and Sky sent me out their WiFi extender box. That made no difference at all. I complained again (do you see the pattern here?) I got a free upgrade to Sky Fibre. I told them that this was pointless as my getting internet into the house was no problem. My problem was there shockingly bad WiFi equipment. I couldn't buy my own router as this was against Sky's terms and conditions. So in the end, after nine years of loyal subscription, I told them to stuff it.

So then I got hold of Virgin Media, and it was installed today. I have their new dual band wifi router, and I'm pleased to say it has excellent coverage all over my house. Below is my speed test.

3541444552.png

That of course is a theoretical top speed. In actual use, it'll be rare to get that fast. I got 23 Mb/s downloading Dishonored from Steam last night. And I was downloading Game of Thrones for RetroEd, and was getting 14 Mb/s on Utorrent. But now we can all be online, gaming and streaming at once.

• 1 month later...

Im on virgin, I get 20mb at the moment, average is around 40mb but mine is capped due to me being cheap, I might upgrade as my 4g on the phone is quicker than my home internet.

Just upgraded to 100mb, well within 48hrs I will have super internet!! all for an extra £5 a month.

• 2 months later...

I've been having some issues with virgin media, im paying for the 100mb package but never remotely close, saying that all I do is wifi, after another chat with them today they insist 40-45mb is the most I can get out of the wifi system for my apple devices, I got an Ethernet adaptor and today managed to get 95mb out of it via the cable so the speed is there.

I have a superhub from virgin at the moment, any one know of a better wifi router to give me bigger speed boosts? I tend to find that Friday evenings my internet is a disaster only managing 1mb last night on the wifi which is shockingly bad!

Ive got a superhub which I can use to change channels etc to something less busier which i've done and seems to be working ok now, I could invest in a second wifi router to link to the superhub but explains why the ps4 and xbox one stream so well as they are getting the full 100mb.

• 11 months later...

End of the month i get the great Virgin "free" cough "free" upgrade my internet goes to 200mb!! i remember when i got 1mb it was wow moment, sat waiting by the letter box for the annual lets put our prices up again by virgin once this has kicked in.

200mb sounds amazing, I still remember the day when I got my NTL 512kbps broadband put in upstairs so I could play Halo 2 on my Xbox, hilarious thinking about it now, but it was such an amazing day as a kid, especially one deprived of online shooters up until that point.

I get about 37-42mbps on my Virgin line upstairs, switched to BT downstairs though as the 3mbps Demon broadband just wasn't cutting the mustard for the (sometimes) mammoth download sizes on Steam these days with games, now get 28mbps-32mbps downstairs on BT which I'm happy with, got a bundle with BT Sports and our phone line, so can't complain really, should really cancel the Virgin one as I barely use it now, but just don't want to run a cable up the side of the house and I don't think the downstairs BT wifi would reach into my room :(

200mb sounds amazing, I still remember the day when I got my NTL 512kbps broadband put in upstairs so I could play Halo 2 on my Xbox, hilarious thinking about it now, but it was such an amazing day as a kid, especially one deprived of online shooters up until that point.

I get about 37-42mbps on my Virgin line upstairs, switched to BT downstairs though as the 3mbps Demon broadband just wasn't cutting the mustard for the (sometimes) mammoth download sizes on Steam these days with games, now get 28mbps-32mbps downstairs on BT which I'm happy with, got a bundle with BT Sports and our phone line, so can't complain really, should really cancel the Virgin one as I barely use it now, but just don't want to run a cable up the side of the house and I don't think the downstairs BT wifi would reach into my room :(

Get some home plugs to run your self a cat 5 connection from downstairs to upstairs.

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/1397640.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:14507206137%7Ctsid:59130%7Ccid:265006737%7Clid:18283950120%7Cnw:g%7Ccrid:73382240337%7Crnd:6529226743638593943%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:1o1%7Ckw:&gclid=CjwKEAjw7uKwBRDUlJvRo-z6rgMSJACbmSBhfWDJ5PUqrTSjZUjhSMDD6OlH1-wZDE4sxr03nbejXRoCvWjw_wcB

It uses the copper wiring to carry the data, they work really well. I've got a few around the flat.

• 3 months later...