passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Darksiders

illdog

I’ve been playing the Warmastered Edition this morning thanks to Gamepass and this is a lot of dumb, mashy fun. I played it back in the day and really liked it, but this morning it clicked extra for me. Maybe because now it’s good frame rate and stuff it feels better? I don’t know. But it’s a bit more complicated than the X,X,Y combat I remember it being, but still feel like comparisons to Devil May Cry are inaccurate. 

Funny enough if I remember correctly this and Bayonetta came out on the same day, or at least the same week. I remember buying both and...let’s say liking one a lot more than the other. Maybe that was the problem. It just got overshadowed. 

I can’t believe this game is nearly 10 years old, though. Not that it feels like yesterday that I played this game, and the game certainly shows its age in the way cut scenes transition and the level design and stuff, like it doesn’t feel like a new game by any means, but still I can’t believe it’s been that long. I hate time ☹️

55 minutes ago, Maf said:

I can’t believe this game is nearly 10 years old

Anything that is longer than 5 years ago fucks with me because everything just kind of feels like it happened about 5 years ago and then people are like, Bob you're 32 and I'm like whaaaaaat bitch. I just left school like 5 years ago. I also got married 5 years ago and bought my PS4 and Xbox 360 5 years ago so it's very confusing. 

I remember loving this until the portal gun bit. Then I hated it and that's all I have remembered these past 5 years. 

Disappointingly I have been unable to drag myself away from this game all day to day so I spent my last day off playing a nine year old game instead of trying new stuff. But it’s really, really good. Just done the first dungeon and beat the first boss and have just go to the garden area on the west side of the map. Turned it off to do house stuff but I could sit here and play it all day, honestly.

I played through this for the first time this year as well. I remember not liking the demo on 360, then buying it on Xbox One and playing until the first boss, then buying it again for Switch and beating it. Which seems kind of idiotic but it's just so much easier to play on Switch because it boots up really fast and you don't have to download an update every two days. So yeah, a bit of wasted money there but I eventually enjoyed the game. That is, until the portal gun dungeon mentioned by Bob. Because that one was awful. I guess the level designer played Portal while doing this game and wanted to do some cool stuff as well but never really understood what made Valve's game great and why features like this don't fit in game that aren't entirely built around the idea.

Anyway. I'm still crossing my fingers for a DS2 port on Switch, otherwise I'm going to have to play that on Xbox. Because I really, really want to play DS3 and the new top down thing but not before playing what came before.

Somehow I’ve put over 6 hours in to this game already and I’ve only cleared 2 dungeons. Looking like there is going to be at least 4 dungeons? Next one is in the Ashlands.

The most surprising for me is how hard the combat has gotten. I never remembered this game being challenging but these enemies do not mess around! There was one particular section where you have to kill all these angels with a big gun and I actually died twice because there was just so many and they wouldn’t stop peppering me with fire while big angel warrior guys came in and gave me the business. I had absolutely no idea how to effectively handle that so I had to play it like CoD on Veteran or something where I’m hiding around a corner and just trying to get one enemy in sight at a time to take them down. Really feel like I was missing a trick there I don’t think it should of been that hard.

I haven’t actually died in regular combat but that section messed me up. Maybe because I wasn’t running? But Ulthane wouldn’t move or do his side of stuff until I killed everything.

I don’t know. It was a weird difficulty spike to the point I feel like I missed something obvious

I misread your post, I thought you were talking about something else.

But then again that section you mentioned wasn't particularly tricky either. It took me a minute or two to realise that one of the icons was War's head though, so I didn't understand it was a competition at first.

I’ve reached the portal tower and I’m this close to just not playing it anymore. I did the Ashland’s two days ago and the spider dungeon yesterday, and with each play session I’ve cooled and cooled to the point I’m getting down right cold on this game.

I’m not going to go deep on all my complaints because they’re racking up holy shit. The two things that got me really into this game was the simple but satisfying combat and the light exploration, but the problems with the game come sharply in to focus when the game tries to get challenging. Which isn’t me complaining that it’s hard, I think I’ve now died in regular combat once, but it just becomes tiresome because the challenge is always just wrestling with what the character and the design doesn’t have. 

This portal tower is hard, however. But not like ‘oh, my god I can’t do this’. Like, ‘Oh, my god I can’t be bothered to do this’. 

This game is, yeah, plummeting in ranking by the room right now

I think the Ashland stuff was cool. The moment you are reunited with Ruin you actually do feel like an unstoppable force, that was a great empowering moment. I also liked the Worm fights for some reason, even though they dragged on a bit.

Teleporter Tower is garbage. Just force yourself to get through, there's not much left to do afterwards and the game has a nice finale.

Yeah, I got through it and have just left Eden 

I think that’s all of the abilities now so I will follow a guide for a 100% completion while I get the blade shards and probably finish the game over the weekend. 

So I used a guide tonight to 100% the game. Turns our I missed a significant but random assortment of stuff. I think if I had finished the game where I was at I would of been around the 80% mark, which not bad but not amazing. Anyway, pulled up a YT guide and got it all done surprisingly quickly. 

Now just finishing up the grindy achievements. Currently got my controller stuffed into the side of the couch making this horse run a 100 miles. 

D9rUa0gXYAAW9WF.jpg

Yay

So I woke up this morning to my horse still running around in circles and then went and beat the game. Then I only had 3 achievements left to get 2 of which were tied to beating the game on apocalyptic difficulty. I decided to go for it despite dreading some of the sections and how hard they would be (The game does not ask for tonnes of skill but some enemies just do insane damage) but when I clicked on start on hard it asked me if I wanted to keep the Abyssal Armour (Unlockable armour that looks cool as shit, gives major defense buff and steals life from bad guys), a quick Google said you still unlock the achievement even if using the armour so I did and busted through the game in about 7-8 hours in one sitting. I’m now Darksidersed the fuck out but solid game, iffy block and lock on mechanics, junior level Zelda dungeon design and really bad boss fights. But I liked it a fair amount and an easy 1000 points.

And rest

Just played this on the Switch. Beat it back in the day, I think. Pretty good game. 

Want the Switch to move forward a bit now though. I'm going to stop buying old gen games on it.*

*Doesn't include fallout 3.