passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Call of Duty : Black Ops

Hendo

Purely rumour so far, but would make sense.

While there's nothing official on what Call Of Duty developer Treyarch is currently up to, the heat is beginning to be turned up on rumours that it's busy making Call of Duty Vietnam. Here's the latest crop.

It's being suggested that Treyarch's title is set for a winter 2010 release (probably November this year, if the past is anything to go on) and it'll be based on conflicts from the Vietnam War.

PlanetXbox360 claims that Treyarch has relied heavily on technologies and ideas introduced by series creator Infinity Ward, which is probably a given.

Vietnam is said to focus heavily on the story, specifically the struggles of each individual platoon member. And pacing of the game is rumoured to follow movies such as Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket.

How do you end the game with America losing though? Doesn't that go against the Call of Duty ethos?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true, but I just don't think they will be able to make a compelling game from it all. Look at all the other CoD games and they sprawl continents, this will be jungle and just jungle. There will be no cities, no deserts, nothing but leafy jungle. You want a game that has that little variation?

I'm not against a game set purely in one area but the games that could pull it off are Adventure type games (Fallout 3 does a good job), I dunno if a linear FPS could pull it off.

Maybe if you throw in some warehouses, a village and a night time section then you might get your 6 hours worth.

it most definitely has less options. though from documentaries n films, i think vietnam did have some urban areas too, and coastline and rivers for potential waterfaring missions. plus for one level, it would be a sinister pleasure to take control of a b52, drop a load of napalm on a village and recreate that famous photo

Vietnam is said to focus heavily on the story, specifically the struggles of each individual platoon member. And pacing of the game is rumoured to follow movies such as Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket.

:blink:

they'll do anything to squeeze the Normandy fucking landings into these games.

Points for wiivo!

There's also a rumour going round that Infinity Ward won't be doing Modern Warfare 3.

One source reported that a Canadian studio will take over development duties for the third Modern Warfare game. That might mean Radical Entertainment, the company responsible for action adventure title Prototype and the only Canadian developer owned by Activision.

Another suggested new outfit Sledgehammer Games will be in charge. As VG247 points out, the studio is currently looking to hire a lead online / multiplayer designer with "experience working on current AAA multiplayer shooters for current consoles and PC". Sledgehammer was set up last year by former employees of Visceral Games, the studio behind Dead Space, and is also owned by Activision.

• 3 months later...

Call of Duty : Black Ops

It's official: The new Call Of Duty will be called Black Ops and will be released on November 9th.

The Activision website for the title - the seventh in the series - went live earlier today.

The confirmation of the Black Ops name seems to suggest that previous speculation about the title is true.

According to the original story that revealed the Black Ops name, the Treyarch-developed game will be set throughout the Cold War, and will feature key battles from across the period.

It will reportedly heavily feature segments from the Vietnam conflict - and culminate in the famous 1980 storming of the Iranian Embassy in London by the SAS.

Despite a huge amount of hype, Activsion doesn't believe the title will be quite as big as last year's mammoth Modern Warfare 2.

Treyarch has revealed that Call Of Duty: Black Ops will have custom killstreaks, but little else has been confirmed.

First trailer arrives early tomorrow morning.

It will reportedly heavily feature segments from the Vietnam conflict - and culminate in the famous 1980 storming of the Iranian Embassy in London by the SAS.

Conveniently, Capt. Price was there that day, he planted the breaching charge on the window.

SNA1124BB_180_646628a.jpg

COD: Black Ops Heading To Cuba & The Arctic Too, RRP Is £55 In The UK

Written Friday, April 30, 2010 by Dan Webb

When it rains Call of Duty details, it pours.

On Wednesday it was announced that the new Call of Duty would be first featured on this week's episode of GTTV, while this morning, Treyarch and Activision announced Call of Duty: Black Ops officially.

It seems that the over zealous retailers are keen to offer us more insight into Call of Duty before GameTrailers get their moment in the limelight.

According to GAME's website in the UK, Call of Duty: Black Ops will take you to Cuba, the Arctic and of course, the widely rumoured Vietnam.

According to the site...

"Now you will witness the birth of the Elite Special Forces and take part in off-the-record missions using unconventional weaponry to get the job done! From Cuba to the Arctic and the jungles of Vietnam, Call of Duty: Black Ops features stunning cinematic graphics and intense gameplay that puts you right at the heart of the action!"

Sounds like a well travelled affair this one.

The alert ones out there will also have noticed the price on the GAME site if you clicked through the link. Yes, an RRP of £54.99, with it selling for £45. Looks like they're taking no prisoners... again.

Probably wont be £55, too much competition.

Does this thread not need a name change?

Since I marginally enjoyed MW2 I don't think I'll bother with the series now, but I suppose I've said that before. I'm not being a dick I've just had enough. The yearly updates are too much for my liking.

Does this thread not need a name change?

Done.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtegOfPPuZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtegOfPPuZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtegOfPPuZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

• 2 weeks later...

Meaty gameplay reveal:

American newspaper USA Today has gained an exclusive look at a level of this year's Call of Duty: Black Ops, and has confirmed that the game's co-op mode will support four players.

The level, previewed in the paper and on its games blog, is called "WMD" and is set in Russia's Ural mountains in 1968.

Players begin by looking down on the action from an SR-71 Blackbird spy plane, directing a group of four black ops soldiers on the ground to guide them past a convoy of Russian troops. You won't be piloting the plane directly.

Then the action switches to the team on the ground as the four operatives infiltrate a Russian radar station. A scoped crossbow provides a stealthy sniping weapon, but by changing ammo on the fly - a new feature for the Call of Duty series - it's used to accurately place explosives.

Despite these touches, Treyarch's game isn't going to rewrite the series' rulebook. "The firefight that ensues is textbook Call of Duty," says USA Today, chaotic and intense, and cinematic moments include a dramatic rappelling scene and a cliff-hanging close.

Confirmation of four-player co-op comes in USA Today's interview with Treyarch head Mark Lamia. The article, ambiguously, describes this mode as "beyond the single-player story".

The game's story will encompass "at least two main characters in multiple covert international conflicts" over quite a long period of time during the Cold War. "We are not getting into the exact period of time, because it is part of our story that we are going to reveal later, but it does cover a longer period during this era," said Lamia.

Lamia revealed that it has done extensive research into the secret warfare of the period, consulting with a veteran of the innocuous-sounding Studies and Observations Group, a CIA-led black operations unit that fought in the Vietnam War. A former Soviet special forces soldier also contributed to the game. The modified crossbow, and its use to place explosives, is an example of a gameplay element that came directly from their accounts.

"Variety of gameplay. Variety of setting," are Treyarch's watchwords for Black Ops, Lamia said.

I'm quite interested in seeing how this one pans out.

New trailer:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Yeah, looks like Call of Duty.