passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming PC's

Jimboxy

Ok this is probably only relevant to a couple of people on the forum, but i want to build a gaming PC. The actual building should be fine, I'm not sure about components, mainly CPU and GPU. Any advice on what i should look for. Ideally i want a CPU that is going to age fairly well and last at least a few years with out needing an upgrade. Again, ideally i'd want to GPU to be powerful enough to last a few years, but that is easier to upgrade than the CPU.

If anyone can offer anything in the way of advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Surely you have to go for an i7 these days? Not really expensive either.

We've done some testing at work with a single chip (albeit quad core I think, whatever the standard is) vs a cluster with 8 cores and it was the same!!

Do you HAVE to build it? I was thinking about upgrading recently and just buying a built up one from overclockers was about the same, might have even been cheaper...

I love to build my machines, and if you order your parts online at sites such as Ebuyer.co.uk, and Novatech.com, you can get some good deals. They'll even do you a motherboard/ram/cpu bundle. I'd go with and Intel cpu as they currently have the edge on speed an performance. Go for a core2duo, or a core I7 if you can afford it. Hard drives are dirt cheap, so get the biggest and fastest you can afford. I personally like two hardrives. A small fast one for the operating system, and a large one for storage.

Ram wise, you need at least 3 gig of DDR 2 or 3 at 1066mhz or above. If you use more than 3 gig, you'll need a 64bit operating system. Pick yourself up an OEM version of Windows 7 from the above sites. with Windows 7, you'll get the performance bonus of Direct X 11.

As for Graphics Cards, I personally recommend an NVidia GTX 250 or above, with at least 512mb of onboard ram.

cheers dude, yeah i really want to build it myself more for the satisfaction of doing it rather than it is cheaper.

I'd been looking at i7's on ebuyer, they are about £200 ish quid, plus about £115 for a compatible motherboard.