passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Getting a new laptop

retroed

600024.jpg

I'm probably going to get one of these very soon: http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/600024/ACER-AS5738G

I'm downsizing, trying to make more room in the living room for Dexter's stuff and just to make it generally more tidy. So, the old desktop PC, all-in-one printer, desk, and computer chair are all going and being replaced with a 15.6" widescreen laptop.

It's a fair bit of kit for the money. Intel Core 2 Duo, 512MB dedicated graphics, 320GB, 4GB Ram, HDMI, Windows 7 Home Premium, etc. I've run it by my friend Martin (rAcer-09) who works for Acer, and he says it's a pretty impressive laptop for the cash and will run most current gen stuff should I feel so inclined.

Quite looking forward to getting it, actually. :)

Well, I got this earlier, and have to say I am mega impressed with it. :D

I've been busy putting stuff on it, making backup discs etc, and it's all running super smooth. I'd recommend this laptop to anyone, it really does have superb specs for the cash. I couldn't find one that came close. The keyboard feels really nice, and I like having a numpad. I'm hoping this laptop will last as long as my tower (a bloody long time!), but if I do get any serious trouble out of warranty I shall be sending it to my good friend Martin who works for Acer. :)

I haven't really tried any games on it yet, although I did put the Torchlight demo on and it runs sweet. I have Mirror's Edge downloading so am looking forward to seeing how that performs. World of Goo and Plants vs Zombies are also installed. I was eyeing up that THQ bundle on Steam earlier, too. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So would we recommend something like that still?

We need a new laptop, ours is frazzled and old and slow. I'd like to play games but its not my top priority, i just want a decent laptop with the lastest shit (like Windows 7} with a nice bit of storage.

Any suggestions?

Seen this Acer Aspire 6930G. Looks pretty nice? Has Vista but is eligable for upgrade, not sure at what cost tho...

Or this Samsung R519.

I'd still recommend one like mine, no doubt. It's actually increased in price by £30 since I bought it. The Acer you listed is decent, but you're paying for the Blu-ray drive and sacrificing other stuff. Comet have this Acer which is very reasonable, but I'd still try and go for one like I have. Play.com actually have it, for £519.99. It's run anything I've chucked at it so far, and runs soooo well.

Edit: that one has a bigger HDD than mine, bonus.